• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Asks Fans to Petition to Stay on FiOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
liloaznangel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
While I like having the Funimation Channel, there is a limit to how much I could watch it. There isn't too much variation of shows, and lately it felt like I've seen the same episode of Chrome Shelled one too many times with how stuff just get replayed or just I just have bad timing.

I'm not sure how Funimation can win this. Their channel is trying sell DVDs given the same commericials that play all the time. Should people buy the DVDs, there is less reason to tune into the channel to watch that show.
Kokoroanime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
Melicans wrote:
everydaygamer wrote:
come on funimation forget about fios, its Canada that needs you, we have no anime on tv here so we'd love to have your channel just make it happen.

That's not entirely true. Anime on Demand is an option on digital cable/satellite.

not really the same thing. besides not everyone has on demand. those of us with satelite for example.

That's sort of lame. DirecTV and Dish Network both have Anime Network on Demand in here in the US.

Sadly, we got to have HD DVR receivers to watch Anime Network, but I know some of episodes are not free. I only have SD DVR.Sad

I wish Dish Network should offer VOD service on SD receivers without a collection to wired internet and use the satellite with just like HughesNet. Shall we force Dish Network and DirecTV to add VOD support on our SD DVRs to watch anime? I know we only got [adult swim] for anime though.

I only have one BlockBuster store anf it's the only one in here alive and it's pretty long. I got is Hulu, Crunchyroll, and Crackle. But I was thinking of getting Blockbuster and Netflix for anime though.

It's been a year passed with G4 is still no longer for G4, they won't be able to watch Marvel anime on DirecTV though.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
It probably doesn't help their cause that Fios is internet service and Funi has a website that is basically the Funimation Channel. Their stuff is also available on Hulu, Youtube, and Netflix, all of which are starting to get built in to TVs, set top boxes, DVD players, and BD players. There's no real need for the channel, especially when it was never really available anywhere.
potatochobit

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:31 am Reply with quote
I dont mind supporting them if that's what they want but I dont have verizon and I would personally just let it die.

my cable provider used to have anime network but they dropped it. I tried to watch it as much as possible but it just didn't have the programs on when i wanted to watch them, which is a big problem considering PCs and internet.

what they should do is marathon a series for 4 episodes in a row at a time. I even had the on demand thing but I never really felt like using it. interestingly I use my roku all the time and I even try to make a dinner event out of it by ordering take out and watching shows on the weekend like fairy tail and beelzebub.

Funimation needs to get their android app, roku app and ps3 app up ASAP; because that is where the money is.
Daimao Raki

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:45 am Reply with quote
It's probably Verizon's decision to put Funimation in the higher price bracket due to the niche market. Also it is really hard to get on any cable provider's selection. Funimation would be better if they had more content but it's a shame they are limited to just what they have licenses for. A collaborative effort by R1 companies to establish a network would be ideal but that isn't going to happen ever.
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:50 am Reply with quote
Ha ha, this tells me that Funimation is truly perturbed by this and feel it's hurting their business. Where's the petition to congratulate Verizon for making the right choice?
<-- HATES Funimation.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
I have to think that this doesn't have much of a chance of working. Verizon wouldn't be dropping the channel if the ratings weren't low, and I'm fairly certain that Verizon is more likely to go with ratings and subscriptions over any sort of online petition which will likely involve people that don't even have the Fios service.
nhat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:25 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Do online petitions ever work?

They're asking if the fans can call, tweet and post and just in case sign for the petition online.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:58 am Reply with quote
nhat wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Do online petitions ever work?

They're asking if the fans can call, tweet and post and just in case sign for the petition online.

While we're at it, we might as well grab a quart of milk and pick up their laundry at the cleaners.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:09 am Reply with quote
When I called, if only just keep this channel alive for those who do like this, it felt as if mattered enough only for the few minutes I do with a agent, but ultimately, I don't really think I spoke to someone who truly is passionate about neither Funimation or FiOS.

Funimation I want to help out, but there is only so much the consumer can do, if the other party involved is already prepared to eliminate said channel regardless of how much petitioners there are.

Online petitions typically never work and truth be told, I've never heard of one that actually did work and was successful.

Anyone remember Mother 3? That certainly had quite a big deal of people in the petition and people from all around North America were voicing their opinions via petition. But after half a year and a pretty strong petition nothing ever came of that and eventually people just gave up as it just wasn't worth the time as it seemed no progress had been made in the very least.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:34 am Reply with quote
Good Riddance <freedy>another one bites the dust</freedy>
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:59 am Reply with quote
Presumably Funimation and FiOS negotiated a deal of some sort which is now coming up for renewal. Rather than telling their fans to sign an irrelevant online petition, why not try and renegotiate the deal? If Funi can't afford to provide the channel for less, and FiOS isn't willing to pay what Funi wants, there's little anyone else can do.

I think Funi offers the local cable operator advertising availabilities in the "bumpers" between shows. Low viewership means less revenue for FiOS.

If this were Japan, Funi would be paying FiOS to carry its channel.
Mesonoxian Eve

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:37 am Reply with quote
This petition makes no sense. I understand there's probably an attempt to spread the brand, but when the carrier is stating the viewership just isn't there, this petition comes of as desperation.

The real reason it makes no sense is the fact most anime fans don't use cable as an entry point, which primarily resides in the internet and OR physical product market, and it's always been this way.

While it's nice to see adaptation on other platforms (pads, consoles, etc.), relying on a distribution platform already seeing loss is rather ridiculous.

I'm certainly not speaking for an audience when I say this, but I cut the cord to cable nearly two years ago and one can bet I'm not going back ever again.

Which is why I have a problem with the price point of digital ownership, oh sorry, leasing.

EDIT: Because "and" is obviously confusion in the making. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Mesonoxian Eve on Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
kakoishii

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 12:37 pm Reply with quote
Mesonoxian Eve wrote:
This petition makes no sense. I understand there's probably an attempt to spread the brand, but when the carrier is stating the viewership just isn't there, this petition comes of as desperation.

The real reason it makes no sense is the fact most anime fans don't use cable as an entry point, which primarily resides in the internet and physical product market, and it's always been this way.

While it's nice to see adaptation on other platforms (pads, consoles, etc.), relying on a distribution platform already seeing loss is rather ridiculous.

I'm certainly not speaking for an audience when I say this, but I cut the cord to cable nearly two years ago and one can bet I'm not going back ever again.

Which is why I have a problem with the price point of digital ownership, oh sorry, leasing.

Well, far be it from me to say there is a lot more with a society that's increasing putting pratically any and all physical media in a sort "life for rent" scenario, there's no getting around the fact that for right now keeping a cable network on the air that's subscription based to start and more than likely costing them more than it's earning if not just for visibility sake, is not a good idea. Also the idea of anime being an entry point via the internet is not something that's always existed. I'm pretty sure those early fans of the 80's would disagree with you, but in the last 10 years, sure it's probably been the entry point for many.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 1:34 pm Reply with quote
Past wrote:
Ha ha, this tells me that Funimation is truly perturbed by this and feel it's hurting their business. Where's the petition to congratulate Verizon for making the right choice?
<-- HATES Funimation.

What the hell did funimation do to you, rape your dog?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4