• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Channel Asks Fans to Petition to Stay on FiOS

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
P€|\||§_|\/|ast@

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Past wrote:
It's not really about which company got the most high tech soonest, since getting in the game first is not always the most advantageous, usually it is but I think there are many other factors involved. At least there are ones that appeal to me, and Funimation just has always missed the mark, to me, in delivering the variety I like, the marketing approach and the sense that they truly care about the artform and fans, not just their money.

I watched that video someone posted about how the Anime Industry is dying (watch it I highly recommend it) and I cringed east time the commentator mentioned ways to support the industry and cited Funimation as one of them. One can only spend their money on so many anime sources and I think my contribution is satisfactory, I pay dues to Crunchyroll each month, I shop at Right Stuf and I've been buying Aniplex releases as they've been dishing them out. I also am working on getting a digital manga subscription once I find a legit site that releases gender bender titles (and writing them to encourage them to do so). I give my all to help keep the anime industry alive and I don't think avoiding Funimation is having a negative affect. It's my money and those Funinazis are not getting any of it. And that's that.

There's a difference between avoiding a company because you don't like their titles (which is what you just stated here), and cheering for the downfall for one of their lines of business.

So which one is it? You still haven't answered the question about how they're keeping other companies out of the industry. If you don't have an example of them doing this, then it simply comes off as sour grapes because they don't distribute the titles that you think they should.
And I think you're not going to be satisfied unless I can provide specific examples where Funimation did something that explicitly violates business ethics, unfair practices from a legal standpoint to another party or business, or just very backstabbing type of operations. If there were, they probably wouldn't be as successful and popular as they are. My gripe is that level of success. No I'm not saying any company with a squeaky clean reputation and serves their customers well doesn't deserve to become big so that they can stomp out the competition that fell short. But there's also nothing wrong with being someone who happens to prefer and respect other companies and blaming their downfall or inability to capture the market as successfully on the biggest guys out there. I suppose in the beginning their choices of titles that I didn't care for were what garnered a bad impression, then I saw how successful they were becoming and all these other companies were going the way of the dodo bird, naturally one would draw conclusions. Their title selection is a big part of it, I admit that, but I think my other claims are still valid, albeit any specific examples. I love Media Blasters, CPM, Bandai and Geneon, ask them if they partially blame their downfall on Funimation.
Kelly

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:53 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
To me, I think diverting all funding that goes into the Funi channel, which has minimal availability) to trying to get a nationally carried cable channel (ie SyFy, Cartoon Network, Spike, etc) to to devote 1 or 2 hours a week to anime is a better way of spending money than trying to keep a channel that almost nobody can access or wants to access up and running.

SyFy tried this with it's AniMonday block, with offerings of varying merit, but for whatever reason it failed and finally died when it started switching nights.

I think the scroll advising phone calls to FIOS would have more chance of working than a petition, but at any rate if things are this bad it's probably a lost cause because it would probably be senseless for viewers to start any series beginning airings from ep 1 now knowing that they're not likely to be able to see the whole thing. That leaves only movies and finishing up series in progress until the channel goes dark, which is not very conductive to drawing ratings. I for one have watched several series and movies since I got FIOS and will be sad to see the Funi channel go.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:00 pm Reply with quote
I just moved recently and got FiOS. The cable company I had previously didn't have Funimation channel, and I didn't even know FiOS had it so I can't claim to be missing anything.

I don't see it listed under the search so perhaps it's already gone now or was only in some areas? Even if my package doesn't have something it usually shows up on the list.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 2:38 am Reply with quote
I believe you had to have a certain HD package to get it, even though the Funi Channel was not actually shown in HD on FiOS.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:46 am Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I don''t see it listed under the search so perhaps it's already gone now or was only in some areas? Even if my package doesn't have something it usually shows up on the list.

In metro Boston it's on channel 262.

There was a scroll running at the bottom of the screen just now saying that Funi was attempting to renegotiate with Verizon to stay on FiOS. As I said earlier, that seems a lot more likely to succeed than browbeating VZ with phone calls and online petitions.

I doubt there are any great issues involved here other than money.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4