• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: New Read or Die Manga's Darker Side Story Outlined

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Giant_Robo_28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:12 pm Reply with quote
Granted, I can't judge how this manga will be, or see if it'll ever get released here but I'm not digging this idea. Seeing a "Dark" version of Yomiko seems pretty bizarre and this just seems like a bad way to milk the original.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
They could be flipping the R.O.D. concept on its head. By not being connected to the previous versions, they could make this Yumiko a villainess and make someone else the heroine in a "What if?" kind of story...
mrdarkrai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
if books are killed off, why would the paper user be the villain? curious
agila61

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:30 pm Reply with quote
mrdarkrai wrote:
if books are killed off, why would the paper user be the villain? curious

Books are being killed off and outraged paper users are taking revenge Bwahahahahaha ...

{... kind of like how scary it would be if some forum users had an actual "smite" key. ...}

... sounds like fun times, I hope it gets picked up on this side of the Big Pond.
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:54 pm Reply with quote
wait a minute...something new R.O.D related? SOMETHING NEW!?

OH MY GOD... OH MY GOD... OH MY GOD... OH MY GOD... OH MY GOD...
I can't breath.....I can't breath.....

I feel like I'm gonna faint, seriously Read or Die is my number 1 favorite anime franchise of ALL TIME! I've been waiting YEARS for something, anything new, I had ALMOST given up hope

oh man, words can not describe how happy I feel right now, I feel ecstatic

ok *deep breath* let me actually read the story and try process this ....ok I see it's a manga, not more anime, I also see it's a side story, not a continuation of R.O.D The TV's story....

man, if this had been news of more anime and a direct continuation of R.O.D The TV I would have had a category 10 meltdown of excitement, this tapers my excitement somewhat, but let me tell you, at this point in time I will take ANYTHING R.O.D related, ANYTHING at all

to be fair I didn't like the first R.O.D manga as much I liked the anime (although I did like Read or Dream better than the first manga), but at least this shows the franchise is still alive, it's not completely dead as I had feared, now anything is possible

man, this is some of the greatest news I've ever gotten in my life, viva la R.O.D!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Wasn't there a similar storyline in the ROD TV series?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
So............ Not-Yomiko.............. Y.I.N.O (Yomiko In Name Only) then? Laughing

Death to books! E-readers will winz teh woar!
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
Wasn't there a similar storyline in the ROD TV series?

*ZOMG SPOILERZ*

there was an attempt by the British library to burn every book and replace it with a basically Wikipedia type virtual library of every book ever written

*END SPOILERZ*

this sounds like it's instead a near future story where every book publisher goes out of business due to the popularity of Amazon Kindle like E-reader devices (which is not that far fetched a premise) and basically how that would impact the world of R.O.D

that's a really cool premise, I love it, but I am a bit skeptical of the "darker" story take, I mean part of what I loved so much about R.O.D The TV was how they mixed in light-hearted moments with the drama, the stuff with the Three Sisters living with Nenene was almost like a sitcom and I absolutely loved it

and also I'm a bit skeptical of the new "sexed up" Yomiko, I mean part of what was cool about Yomiko was that she was sexy without trying to be, of course maybe Hideyuki Kurata just has no choice but to make Yomiko sexier in order to sell it in this current anime and manga climate

still, like I said at this point in time I'll take what I can get, it doesn't matter so long as it's R.O.D and it's by Hideyuki Kurata and ya know I can respect his decision to try something new and take the series where it hasn't been before instead of a rehash, as much as I would love to see the adventures of the "4 Sisters Detective Agency" maybe it is best to let that story be concluded and start something fresh

I'm just so happy to see R.O.D as a franchise live on, the fact that we're getting something new R.O.D related at all is quite frankly a miracle
shukero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:00 pm Reply with quote
Soo if she's the polar opposite does this mean that she wants to destroy all the books in the world??
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Soo if she's the polar opposite does this mean that she wants to destroy all the books in the world??

I think the idea is to show the negative side of Yomiko's obsession with books

if you think about it, R.O.D is basically about obsession, I mean Yomiko is by most standards a crazy person, her whole apartment building is filled with books for crying out loud, that's an episode of A&E's Hoarders if I've ever seen one

this sounds like pretty fascinating take on R.O.D, though I will be disappointed if Nenene at least doesn't show up
shukero

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:33 pm Reply with quote
Joe Carpenter wrote:
shukero wrote:

I think the idea is to show the negative side of Yomiko's obsession with books

if you think about it, R.O.D is basically about obsession, I mean Yomiko is by most standards a crazy person, her whole apartment building is filled with books for crying out loud, that's an episode of A&E's Hoarders if I've ever seen one

this sounds like pretty fascinating take on R.O.D, though I will be disappointed if Nenene at least doesn't show up

I thought that the anime already showed the negative side of her hoarding her books xD but we'll just have to wait Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 pm Reply with quote
So Yomiko is gonna be a murdering Book loving evil laughing magane girl. lol doubt to that extreme but i'm looking forward to this . I'm rather interested in this Darker toned Yomiko/ROD. Quick question is this Canon or just a spin-off in the ROD universe?

Joe Carpenter wrote:
man, this is some of the greatest news I've ever gotten in my life, viva la R.O.D!

Viva la ROD indeed
Joe Carpenter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:58 am Reply with quote
The American Average wrote:
So Yomiko is gonna be a murdering Book loving evil laughing magane girl. lol doubt to that extreme but i'm looking forward to this . I'm rather interested in this Darker toned Yomiko/ROD. Quick question is this Canon or just a spin-off in the ROD universe?

Joe Carpenter wrote:

Viva la ROD indeed

no one really knows for sure, but from the sound of it it sounds like yet another different continuity

R.O.D, like Marvel comics or whatever, has many different "continuities" or "universes", one for each format the story takes place in

for example, the novels takes place in one universe, the anime in another and the manga in yet another

this being another manga series who knows yet if it'll tie into any of the previous continuities, but I seriously doubt it, it sounds like this is basically a "reboot" of R.O.D, but of course Yomiko also has grey hair from the looks of it, implying that she's older, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see

and the more I think about the premise, the more I like it to be honest, there's kind of a tendency with hardcore fans of things to always want "the same, but different" with their favorite properties and not want to try new things

so as much as I would love to see the return of characters like the Three Sisters and Nenene, maybe it's best that their story ended on a high note as opposed to being dragged out, I'm reminded of video games series like Silent Hill and Metal Gear Solid going on way past their prime

so the idea of a totally fresh and original take on the series instead of "the same but different" is a very exciting and bold idea, after all, part of what I loved about R.O.D The TV so much was that it was so different from the OVA

and maybe that's why R.O.D went silent for so many years, maybe Hideyuki Kurata ran out of ideas and needed a while to come up with something fresh

the only downside in this situation is that I want to read it now, the thought of it potentially being another couple of years till we (hopefully) see this published Stateside really hurts, I mean good Lord, haven't I waited long enough for some new R.O.D? Sad
TheAncientOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:05 am Reply with quote
In the event anyone missed it, this isn't "our" Yomiko. This character's name is not spelled the same:

"Our" Yomiko = 読子

This Yomiko = ヨミコ
The American Average

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
TheAncientOne wrote:
In the event anyone missed it, this isn't "our" Yomiko. This character's name is not spelled the same:

"Our" Yomiko = 読子

This Yomiko = ヨミコ

That explains everything! the manga will be "our" Yomiko's nightmare, of her as "ヨミコ yomiko" hurting beloved books and the series will end with Nenene pulling her out of 100s of books. man i'm good Cool

Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2