• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Romance Anime of all Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ShellBullet

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2004 11:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree with Key that Escaflowne is one of the greatest action/romance out there. Van Hitomi lookk really good together and it's great watching them slowly come to their senses and realize they were in love.

One of the sweetest love stories out there is Whisper of the Heart. Not a drop of fanservice or gimicky comedy, just two hours of unadulterated Ghibli goodness.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:15 am Reply with quote
Ai Yori Aoshi is in fact a very good quality series, and Aoi and Kaoru have one of anime's best (and least dysfunctional) relationships.

However, I would definitely place Oh! My Goddess above Ai Yori Aoshi for the series longevity and the amazing depth of Keiichi and Belldandy's feelings. Maison Ikkoku is the definite runner up (and many may see it in reverse) because of many of the same reasons. The characters are very deep and very emotional, and there's a very lovely atmosphere to the series that's sweet but not saccharine.

In time, Ai Yori Aoshi, I think, will become a classic amongst romance anime, but for now it's playing second fiddle to the grand classics like Maison Ikkoku and Oh! My Goddess.
BlackDragon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 12:45 am Reply with quote
Kare kano's good. I also liked Ai Yori Aoshi, Sakura Diaries,
Mahoromatic. Very Happy

But the ones that I liked the best are:

*Kimi Ga Nozomu Eien - though not as much romance as more emotional suffering, but still good enough.

*If I See You In My Dreams - my favorite. Very Happy Comedy, romance, tragedy; all packed in convenient 6 minute episodes. Highly recommended. Mr. Green
ChichiriMuyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:50 am Reply with quote
No mention of Kimagure Orange Road at all in this topic yet? Horrible. That's as good as it gets, for the most part. It is, by far, my favorite romantic anime... and I've seen a good number of them. Maison Ikkoku and Oh! My Goddess are both very good, but even those I'd put just behing KOR.
Kagemusha

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 1:59 am Reply with quote
Craeyst Raygal wrote:
Ai Yori Aoshi is in fact a very good quality series, and Aoi and Kaoru have one of anime's best (and least dysfunctional) relationships.

However, I would definitely place Oh! My Goddess above Ai Yori Aoshi for the series longevity and the amazing depth of Keiichi and Belldandy's feelings. Maison Ikkoku is the definite runner up (and many may see it in reverse) because of many of the same reasons. The characters are very deep and very emotional, and there's a very lovely atmosphere to the series that's sweet but not saccharine.

In time, Ai Yori Aoshi, I think, will become a classic amongst romance anime, but for now it's playing second fiddle to the grand classics like Maison Ikkoku and Oh! My Goddess.

Oh My Goddess!'s longevity (the mangas at least) comes from the world its in and the way Fujishima tells his stories in my opinion. They're so diverse in subject, and so well told. But Bell and K1's releationship is another part of its wonderful charm. No angst or drama, which gets old.
But the Ai Yori Aoshi manga has recenty won alot of critical praise in Japan. It was nominated recently for the Media Arts Award (which is usually awarded to sophisticated mangas that usually don't see huge mainstream success, with a few exceptions of course). I like it now, but I'm expecting that as the author grows it will become great.
MasterFuu

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:06 am Reply with quote
Maison Ikkoku and Video Girl Ai are classic masterpieces.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:32 am Reply with quote
Kagemusha wrote:
But the Ai Yori Aoshi manga has recenty won alot of critical praise in Japan. It was nominated recently for the Media Arts Award (which is usually awarded to sophisticated mangas that usually don't see huge mainstream success, with a few exceptions of course). I like it now, but I'm expecting that as the author grows it will become great.

A magazine listed Japan's top 10 most favorite types of women:
(I'm still looking for the source)

1. Childhood sweetheart
2. Younger sister (blood or not)
3. (corrupt encoding)
4. Shinto priestess
5. Newlywed
6. Teacher
7. (corrupt encoding)
8. (corrupt encoding)
9. Big b00b
10. Classmate

Aoi-chan is #1 (minus kicking you up from the bed in the morning) plus a bit of #2 and #9. No wonder she's so popular. Embarassed
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 5:45 am Reply with quote
What's with the "corrupt encoding"?

Aoi has the characteristics that generally appeal to MANY males. She's sweet, demure, understanding, (overly) sensitive. And she is a looker! Short hair or not, I think she's one of the most beautiful out there.
dormcat
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:10 am Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
What's with the "corrupt encoding"?

It was written in Shift-JIS, but kana fonts were lost after someone forwarded the article to an ANSI text-based Big5 (which is not Unicode compatible and M$ version contains no Japanese font) forum. I have contacted the forwarder to give me a translation (he has NLS code forwarding software to redirect improper coding).

Ken Hayashi wrote:
I think she's one of the most beautiful out there.

/me drooling while staring at her poster on the wall. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:51 am Reply with quote
Ah My Goddess is unreservedly one of the top 5 Anime/manga romances to come out of Japan. but Mr Fujishima seems to have run out of ideas were to take it. The resent plots have been mostly about either bike races, or the love life of Banpie. Rolling Eyes
It's nice to see that Mr. F can draw various models of motor vehicles, and the odd historic aircraft, with intricate detail, but it's a bit off the original plot, and starting to look like he's stretching, or gropping to either avoid the subject of romance between Bell and K1, or has just run out of ideas which way to take it. I don't think Mr. F is a married man. Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:14 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
I don't think Mr. F is a married man. Wink

Hmm. That little remark is very thought-provoking. Wink

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Perfectsword

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:07 pm Reply with quote
Ken Hayashi wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
I definitaly think that Voices of a distant star is my favorite romance anime i have seen.

it made me cry Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It is too short, and does not have enough character development. Still, it IS a good romance story. It has so much potential to be BIG, all it needs is to have the story expanded into an OVA at least.

I actuly think that it was good short. if it wasn't; if it was an OVA then it would be wiered. the little information just adds to the story, if they show a happy ending then its not that great, but if they open ended it; its kick arse
bun^ny

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I think to me will be Hana Yori Dango. It's too sweet and it shows how two people fight to hang in on relationships and stuff... There are also those old shows like Marmalade Boy or Maison Ikkoku... Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jfrog

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:08 pm Reply with quote
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
No mention of Kimagure Orange Road at all in this topic yet? Horrible. That's as good as it gets, for the most part. It is, by far, my favorite romantic anime... and I've seen a good number of them. Maison Ikkoku and Oh! My Goddess are both very good, but even those I'd put just behing KOR.

I liked KOR, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. But then again, I haven't watched I Want To Return To That Day yet, so my opinion might change.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quote
Perfectsword wrote:
Ken Hayashi wrote:
Perfectsword wrote:
I definitaly think that Voices of a distant star is my favorite romance anime i have seen.

it made me cry Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

It is too short, and does not have enough character development. Still, it IS a good romance story. It has so much potential to be BIG, all it needs is to have the story expanded into an OVA at least.

I actuly think that it was good short. if it wasn't; if it was an OVA then it would be wiered. the little information just adds to the story, if they show a happy ending then its not that great, but if they open ended it; its kick arse

I personally feel they deserve a happy ending. But that's just my opinion, which doesn't count very much does it?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8