• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Romance Anime of all Time

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="Key"]
Mohawk52 wrote:
spoiler[ If they could expose themselves to Sayoko, why not Megumi?]

When did this happen? I thought I had read all the OMG stuff (at least that's been available in the States, anyway) and do not remember this happening.

Of course, the most recent story arc to be released in the States is "Sora Unchained", so if it happens sometime after that. . .
It was in No. 13 "Childhood's End"
Patachu
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 3:21 pm Reply with quote
jfrog wrote:
ChichiriMuyo wrote:
No mention of Kimagure Orange Road at all in this topic yet? Horrible. That's as good as it gets, for the most part. It is, by far, my favorite romantic anime... and I've seen a good number of them. Maison Ikkoku and Oh! My Goddess are both very good, but even those I'd put just behing KOR.

I liked KOR, but I wouldn't say it's my favorite. But then again, I haven't watched I Want To Return To That Day yet, so my opinion might change.

You may be in for a pleasant surprise ... yes, KOR TV and the first four OVAs are mostly light comedy with Kyosuke flip-flopping over the girls ... but when you get to I Want To Return To That Day, it really breaks the series open in terms of depth and drama.

The second movie (Summer's Beginning) just doesn't measure up after that; it starts out nicely but cheeses out towards the end by focusing on the psychic powers thing (which I always thought was a gimmick).

Ah! My Goddess manga still outdoes the OVAs and the movie, IMHO; particularly since the Terrible Master Urd and Fourth Goddess arcs -- which really put Bell and K1's love to the test -- never made it to screen. (Although, we'll see what happens with that new TV series I've heard about ... )
Key

PostPosted: Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

When did this happen? I thought I had read all the OMG stuff (at least that's been available in the States, anyway) and do not remember this happening.

Of course, the most recent story arc to be released in the States is "Sora Unchained", so if it happens sometime after that. . .

Do you mean issue #13 or volume #13?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 7:56 am Reply with quote
Whisper Of The Heart. Teenager's love.
So sweet.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 21, 2004 11:38 am Reply with quote
lain wrote:
Whisper Of The Heart. Teenager's love.
So sweet.

Oh, yes, I heartily agree. Plus, it's one of those rare quiet anime, where nobody gets killed and there's nary a giant robot to be seen. Just a very well-told story.

I like original title much better than the English title. Mimi wo sumaseba, "If you listen carefully". It really sets the tone for the story, which is all about listening - to dreams, to life, and to music. And yes, to one's heart. ♥♪♥♪

- abunai
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tasha

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 11:01 am Reply with quote
Oh, this is easy. The best romance anime of all time is Rose of Versailles. Unlike 99.8% of "harem" anime, it actually has romance in it. Unlike 98.2% of romance anime that aren't harem, it doesn't stoop to manipulative techniques to try to draw emotion from the viewers. Also unlike the other romance out there, it actually takes time to develop. None of that "girl confesses love in the fourth episode" crap like in Ayashi no Ceres and Fushigi Yugi.
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Tasha wrote:
Unlike 99.8% of "harem" anime, it actually has romance in it. Unlike 98.2% of romance anime that aren't harem, it doesn't stoop to manipulative techniques to try to draw emotion from the viewers.

Like 94.2% of all interesting statistics, this one is composed of 47.8% invention, 55.1% wishful thinking and 22.7% sheer chutzpah.

What's that you say? My figures add up to more than 100%? Hey, are you questioning my scientifictitiousness?

- abunai Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Sep 23, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:

Do you mean issue #13 or volume #13?
Vol.13 of the GN titled "Childhood's End".
kainzero

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 11:01 pm Reply with quote
Tenchi Muyo! in Love, I thought, was a great movie. I really liked the dynamic between Achika and Nobuyuki. Makes you wonder why he turned into such a pervert when he had such an awesome wife.

I thought D.C. Da Capo and Kanon were great drama anime, but I liked them more for the characters and interaction instead of the romantic elements... so I can't really say those two are great romance anime.

But yea. TMiL! great movie, probably the best part of the TM! series.
M.B.K.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 1:32 am Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:
Tenchi Muyo! in Love, I thought, was a great movie. I really liked the dynamic between Achika and Nobuyuki. Makes you wonder why he turned into such a pervert when he had such an awesome wife.

I thought D.C. Da Capo and Kanon were great drama anime, but I liked them more for the characters and interaction instead of the romantic elements... so I can't really say those two are great romance anime.

I'm agreed.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 9:45 am Reply with quote
kainzero wrote:
Makes you wonder why he turned into such a pervert when he had such an awesome wife.
I'm told that being a widower sometimes has that affect on some men. Wink

kainzero wrote:
TV series that is. Wink
Ken Hayashi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:19 am Reply with quote
I felt the 3rd Tenchi movie (Tenchi Forever) was a better romance story than the first 2. spoiler[With Tenchi "missing", Ayeka and Ryoko really revealed their true feelings for him (to the viewers, that is)].
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:37 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
kainzero wrote:
Makes you wonder why he turned into such a pervert when he had such an awesome wife.

Mad That's a monumentally ignorant and prejudiced remark. Are you going to say that widows are nymphomaniacs, next? And, hey, there's plenty of disparaging remarks you could make based on race and creed, too. The possibilities are endless.

- abunai
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 9:44 am Reply with quote
abunai wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
kainzero wrote:

Mad That's a monumentally ignorant and prejudiced remark. Are you going to say that widows are nymphomaniacs, next? And, hey, there's plenty of disparaging remarks you could make based on race and creed, too. The possibilities are endless.

- abunai
Would you care to explain that a bit more clearly? I couldn't understand where that observation could have been so upsetting to you, unless you are a widower yourself, for which, if that is the case, you have my condolences; but being a married man myself I could see why Nobuyuki would act that way as a widower. Wink
abunai
Old Regular

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 3:57 pm Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
abunai wrote:
Mohawk52 wrote:
kainzero wrote:

- abunai
Would you care to explain that a bit more clearly? I couldn't understand where that observation could have been so upsetting to you, unless you are a widower yourself, for which, if that is the case, you have my condolences; but being a married man myself I could see why Nobuyuki would act that way as a widower. Wink

I'm not a widower, no, fortunately. However, I find this kind of stereotyping to be seriously annoying. Can you explain to me precisely why it is that you are so willing to brand a widower a likely pervert? Are you even aware of how offensive that term is? And why is this in any way different from the (equally obnoxious and unfortunately frequent) idea that all widows are "hot to trot"?

In fact, while you're at it, can you tell me why I'm having to explain these things to you? What exactly went wrong in that part of your upbringing where they were supposed to have taught you that this sort of negative stereotyping only leads to bad things?

- abunai
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8