Forum - View topic
NEWS: Warner Develops Live-Action Film of Tite Kubo's Bleach Manga


Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Soundmonkey44



Joined: 25 May 2010
Posts: 1243

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:25 am Reply with quote
Personally I'm going to be cautiously optomistic with this, yes it will most likely turn out as sub-par drek, but theres always that small chance it could turn out to be, at the very least just a fun mindless supernatural action flick, you know like the new Ghost Rider movie, not all that great storywise, but good action & special affects. So yeah i'm not really hoping for more than anything other then it be entartaining.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Spastic Minnow
It...it's not like I post for you or anything!It...it's not like I post for you or anything!


Joined: 02 May 2006
Posts: 2985
Location: Milwaukee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:39 am Reply with quote
Ushio wrote:
Poor Warner are you really this desperate for a good genre franchise?

Yes Harry Potter is over and the Chris Nolan Batman series ends this year and Hobbit only takes you into 2013 but surely there is something better than licensing japanese anime and manga series like say using more DC comics characters in films ("cough Green Lantern cough") oh right.


Yes someone grabbed on to what they were thinking.

And isn't it perfect? Unlike a US superhero it's a property that promises an ending, BUT just keeps going on and on and on and on...

Screw keeping things pure, the conventional wisdom says, anime is a market perfectly ripe for the US to exploit.

Take solace though, it would support the industry.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
prime_pm



Joined: 06 Feb 2004
Posts: 1409
Location: Under Your Bed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:00 am Reply with quote
In other news, a new alternate form of cold fusion has been discovered...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
zensunni



Joined: 05 Mar 2010
Posts: 841

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:39 am Reply with quote
With an honest to goodness otaku involved like Masi Oka, it has a decent chance of honoring the source material. It is also source material that is rather familiar to American audiences due to Adult Swim, so I have cautious optimism about the project. If it didn't have Oka involved, I would ignore it totally until it actually was done, but I think it may be worth watching to see how it progresses at this point.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mimi The Freak



Joined: 04 May 2010
Posts: 16
Location: USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Freddie Mercury ultra-high-angle reversed facepalm!!!

Seriously, though, what is Warner thinking? If they stick to the original story, it'll only appeal a very small niche audience. If they Westernize it, (how?) they'll earn the hatred of fans everywhere. Not to mention the royalties nightmare!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mawdryn



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 203
Location: St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:13 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ Mawdryn

Hasn't the whitewashed adaptation of Akira not being strongly received well by the fans that it has forced WB to cancel the project all together?

Not in the slightest. What derailed Akira was that the producers couldn't find a director that shared their specific vision and the studio wasn't going to wait forever for them to find one. It had nothing to do with anime fans complaining on the net, and more to do with the project not able to get its act together.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
ArsenicSteel



Joined: 12 Jan 2010
Posts: 2370

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:41 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
This could actually be a fun movie with the potential to become a series of movies. Yes, it's going to be Americanized, but that's kinda why they do these movies--to adapt them for a large American or Western audience that generally is unaware of the propety's real origins. Outside of the nichey anime community, the vast majority of people have never even heard of Bleach before.



And how often do non-anime fans go to see movies based on anime properties? To be clear, I am not asking if such people exist but rather is it as profitable as regular ol' movies based on generic Western plots. The targetting of non-anime fans and people unaware of the property doesn't work. I think it's about to give up that line a reasoning, Hollywood simply does bad anime adaptations.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycosyncer



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 273

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:46 pm Reply with quote
@ Mawdryn

Well, regardless of that , I hope that abomination of an adaptation they're doing for Akira never gets off the ground.

Once again, how come Hollywood didn't adapt a popular non-Asian centered anime/manga series like Fullmetal Alchemist yet? The series has a pretty good significant Western following due to both shows airing on Adult Swim, the characters and the settings in the series are already Western to begin with so there's no worry of whitewashing and only worry if the live action adaptation will do justice to the original. Why hasn't Hollywood picked that series to adapt to live action yet? It just baffles me.

Soul Eater would also make a pretty good series to adapt for Hollywood to make into live action. The series is already set in America and the cast of characters is pretty big and diverse. Story will be difficult but not impossible to adjust and I think Soul Eater will be seen as the weird sister series to Harry Potter.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stararnold



Joined: 22 Sep 2007
Posts: 204
Location: LaSalle, Quebec, Canada

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:02 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
Once again, how come Hollywood didn't adapt a popular non-Asian centered anime/manga series like Fullmetal Alchemist yet? The series has a pretty good significant Western following due to both shows airing on Adult Swim, the characters and the settings in the series are already Western to begin with so there's no worry of whitewashing and only worry if the live action adaptation will do justice to the original. Why hasn't Hollywood picked that series to adapt to live action yet? It just baffles me.

Soul Eater would also make a pretty good series to adapt for Hollywood to make into live action. The series is already set in America and the cast of characters is pretty big and diverse. Story will be difficult but not impossible to adjust and I think Soul Eater will be seen as the weird sister series to Harry Potter.
Well lets not forget about Tobey Maguire's live-action Robotech movie project (though still in a developnent limbo) and Skydance Productions' desire to do a live-action Star Blazers movie (thoguh still no word on if a deal's made). Both projects are meant to follow the Americanized flavours of anime titles and not their original Japanese ones, like when Warner Bros. did 2008's Speed arcer, which was based on an Americnazied dub of 1967's Mach Go Go Go and not on the anime's original Japanese language version. Considering Star Blazers for example, its narrative, in contrast to that of the original Japanese version of Space Battleship Yamato where the protagonal crew is pure Japanese, describes its protagonal ship crew as being multinational with their ship being renamed "Argo" after its reconstruction. So no need to cuss or moan about whether or not any whitewashing will be involved in a live-action Star Blazers film project or live-action Robotech one.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lycosyncer



Joined: 13 Aug 2009
Posts: 273

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
@ Mawdryn

Along side Voltron, how come those big giant robot titles are still in development hell? Hasn't the Transformers trilogy, and Real Steal has proven to Hollywood that having movies with giant robots beat the crap out of each other is making big money with audiences? I take it's because of how they would handle the budget and CG because I bet that the first movie of them alone would be close to $200 million.

Also, we're not talking about the Americanization of anime like the titles you mentioned, we're talking about anime titles who are already non-Asian in the originals as well like my stated examples of Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Hellsing, and Chrono Crusade which has already established non-Asian main leads in anime from the very begining.

Talking about those titles, do you think they will appeal to North American audiences if they were turned to live action? I personally believe that with careful tinkering, I feel the they would make definitely make good crossover appeal to non-fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mawdryn



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 203
Location: St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:29 pm Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Mawdryn wrote:
This could actually be a fun movie with the potential to become a series of movies. Yes, it's going to be Americanized, but that's kinda why they do these movies--to adapt them for a large American or Western audience that generally is unaware of the propety's real origins. Outside of the nichey anime community, the vast majority of people have never even heard of Bleach before.



And how often do non-anime fans go to see movies based on anime properties?

For non-anime fans, it would simply be something they never saw before. They would like it or not like it on it's own merits because they would have nothing else to compare it to like anime fans would.
Quote:

To be clear, I am not asking if such people exist but rather is it as profitable as regular ol' movies based on generic Western plots. The targetting of non-anime fans and people unaware of the property doesn't work. I think it's about to give up that line a reasoning, Hollywood simply does bad anime adaptations.

Every film adaptation is always made or developed with more than anime fans in mind. Anime fans are merely what brought the property to the attention of Hollywood. But as anime fans are a small minority and can't make a big budget film a financial success just by themselves, they're really looking for something that will resonate with as many people as possible, including folks who may never have any heard of the term anime before...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Mawdryn



Joined: 28 Feb 2006
Posts: 203
Location: St. Louis, MO. U.S.A.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Lycosyncer wrote:
@ Mawdryn

Along side Voltron, how come those big giant robot titles are still in development hell? Hasn't the Transformers trilogy, and Real Steal has proven to Hollywood that having movies with giant robots beat the crap out of each other is making big money with audiences? I take it's because of how they would handle the budget and CG because I bet that the first movie of them alone would be close to $200 million.

You answered you're own question. If they could make them cheaper and easier, they'd be in production already.
Quote:

Also, we're not talking about the Americanization of anime like the titles you mentioned,

Question
Actually you mentioned Akira. I originally just talked about Bleach.
Quote:

we're talking about anime titles who are already non-Asian in the originals as well like my stated examples of Fullmetal Alchemist, Soul Eater, Hellsing, and Chrono Crusade which has already established non-Asian main leads in anime from the very begining.

Talking about those titles, do you think they will appeal to North American audiences if they were turned to live action? I personally believe that with careful tinkering, I feel the they would make definitely make good crossover appeal to non-fans.

I think it depends on the property and whether it has something that can be a big hit with more than just anime fans.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Zin5ki



Joined: 06 Jan 2008
Posts: 3481
Location: London, UK

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
The manifest concern over whitewashing might be articulated more amusingly by referring to the practice as bleaching, given the context.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
mdo7



Joined: 23 May 2007
Posts: 4038
Location: Maryland, USA

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I don't like where this is going, but I doubt this is going to be far from being successful.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Lizzie_B



Joined: 14 Apr 2011
Posts: 153

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't want to live on this planet anymore Evil or Very Mad
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 7 of 10

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group