• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fullmetal Alchemist: The Sacred Star of Milos

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Looneygamemaster

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 am Reply with quote
Much as I love Fullmetal Alchemist, I wasn't terribly interested in this movie, and this review re-affirms that sentiment. I'll probably check it out eventually, though.
Hagaren Viper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:24 am Reply with quote
I actually went into this movie with pretty low expectations, but I enjoyed it a lot. I can see why people would have issues with it [The animation ranges from fine to...kinda gross considering how nice BroHood was]. I found the story and the secondary characters pretty interesting, and the fights were exciting. Goodness, the blood near the end was kinda sorta REALLY surprising though.

Definitely getting this when it gets released.
Sippin Coffee

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:42 am Reply with quote
I agree with the top post. As an owner of all 5 volumes of Brotherhood on BD, I have no desire to add this one to the collection. Definitely plan to rent it though. I hope Funi puts it up on Xbox Live as I have MS points burning a hole in my pocket. I was hoping to get over to Seattle to see it but wasn't able to make it happen.
RTL3

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:44 am Reply with quote
I went to see this last month, was not very impressed. I really enjoyed both series and was hoping against hope it would be good, as the trailers looked a bit stupid. I couldnt shake the feeling the director was not very familiar with the FMA universe as a whole. What was with all that force lightning? Why did Ed keep yelling about the stones consuming people's souls? Why did they eat the stones?
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:09 am Reply with quote
I found no problem with the quality of the artistry whatsoever it was on Bones' usual movie level which is very high and it completely delivered in every aspect in the smooth fluidity of the animation.I enjoyed the film and feel that a majority of the Fullmetal Alchemist fan base will appreciate the film for what it is a thrilling experience that only Fullmetal Alchemist can give you at the end of the day.Its a worthwhile watch that I will revisit once again when it hits blu-ray.

Last edited by iamthevastuniverse on Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:11 am Reply with quote
I AM THE VAST UNIVERSE wrote:
I found no problem with the quality of the artistry whatsoever it was on Bones' usual movie level. . .

You must be joking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
iamthevastuniverse

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:34 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I found no problem with the quality of the artistry whatsoever it was on Bones' usual movie level. . .

You must be joking.

I'm not joking at all.I have no problem with the quality of the animation it was beautifully done clearly you have a different opinion which is fine.
UltimaShadowfax

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
Review pretty much got it right. The action scenes were well animated and choreographed, but the story was very subpar.

Where I disagree a bit with the review was that I found that the story wasn't very engaging at all throughout the film. It certainly sets up some intrigue, but very quickly the viewer is forced to keep track of all the different factions and it isn't until some exposition that we find out what their different goals are; by this time it's hard to care about any of them because there are so many.

Ultimately the problem with these kinds of side story movies, and television filler in general, is that the usual main characters are forced to play backup to a guest main character. All they end up doing in the end is beating up the bad guy while the guest character comes to some kind of catharsis. In the end, they go their separate ways and so why care?

Ed and Al are the real main characters and they aren't put into any emotional or psychological danger that they have to overcome. They merely go through a series of fights and chase scenes

I'm also glad the reviewer pointed out how Mustang was treated in the film. The poster and the beginning of the film gives you the sense he's somehow going to play a part in the story, or at least he'll have a dramatic cameo followed by an epic fight. But just when he's about to fight, the movie cuts away to some different action before returning to Mustang and some charred monster corpses. That's it. Arguably the most badass character in the series and his fight is off-camera. It really was a letdown. Compare and contrast to his appearance in Conqueror of Shambala.

While it requires knowledge of the first TV series, Shambala was a much, much better standalone FMA movie. Ultimately, the film was about the brothers and their relationship, which is what FMA is all about in the end. Milos is about Julia and her relationship with her brother. And in the end, who really cares about that?
Sam Murai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:52 am Reply with quote
Review wrote:
As the story progresses into its final stages, though, problems show. Col. Mustang, Hawkeye, and Winry have significant screen presence but so little impact on anything that their presence is hardly worth mentioning; Mustang is even directly involved in one of the late fight scenes but never shown using his powers. Alex Louise Armstrong has an even briefer cameo early on and none of the other regular supporting cast members appear at all. The last quarter of the story also devolves into a generic mix of surprises, betrayals, corruptions, and power grabs, offering nothing much for storytelling that can't be found in other franchise-based movies and dragging things out at least 5-10 minutes longer than it needs to. The writing stretches internal logic in other places, too,[…]

That basically sounds like all the faults I had with Brotherhood (too many characters that amounted to little or no real impact on the story, all-too-generic and -predictable plotting, logic holes galore). I really despised the series for it (among a few other things), but despite that and that part of the review, I'm still somewhat looking forward to seeing the film, primarily because for its art style. I don't think I will like it any better than the rest of the FMA franchise, but I guess it's still worth a shot.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Key

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:03 am Reply with quote
I'm not joking at all.I have no problem with the quality of the animation it was beautifully done clearly you have a different opinion which is fine.

Oh, the animation was fine. The artistry was not, except in certain spots.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen the film yet but I was a bit the disappointed by the new character designs which make Alphonse's armor looks as if it has emotions and Edward's hair is competing Cloud from Final Fantasy. Does at least Lin Yao appear in the film?
Iridescent_Fall

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
This movie was terrible. The story had so many cliches (predicted what was going to happen many times) and it didn't use any characters we cared about properly. There were so many plot holes, me and several friends spent half an hour after the showing trying to piece together how the flashbacks and what was actually going on worked together. So much information was thrown at the viewer so fast, on top of trying to explain the basics of Fullmetal Alchemist (like what the Philosopher's Stone is, the basics of alchemy). It was a mess.

This movie was everything that Brotherhood was not...and that's a good thing. Awkward dialogue lines, way more gore in weird ways (blood everywhere and ripping off your own skin?). I was laughing out loud and rolling my eyes during many of the scenes. Everything was just so off that I honestly can't think of anything in its favour, because it's supposed to be an addition to the FMA universe, and disappoints so much. : P FMA, the original and Brotherhood, are probably my favourite anime series of all time.

All I can say is that I'm glad I won a free ticket to this (free tickets are always nice, but especially to this movie).
The American Average

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I'm looking forward to this. i like the new co-stars
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:51 pm Reply with quote
UltimaShadowfax wrote:
Compare and contrast to his appearance in Conqueror of Shambala.

While it requires knowledge of the first TV series, Shambala was a much, much better standalone FMA movie. Ultimately, the film was about the brothers and their relationship, which is what FMA is all about in the end. Milos is about Julia and her relationship with her brother. And in the end, who really cares about that?

I wouldn't exactly put Mustang in Conquerors of Shambala as an example of how to use a character properly. In the movie he goes off to Briggs to complain about how many people his killed, but instead of actually resolving that situation he just shows up out of the blue making the scene in the Briggs mountain completely pointless.

I should also point out that the first FMA movie has a villain so incredibly stupid that you have to conclude that she's just trying to get herself killed.
sainta

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:

I should also point out that the first FMA movie has a villain so incredibly stupid that you have to conclude that she's just trying to get herself killed.

The way she is defeated is like a facepalm.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3