• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Squash Knives

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Oh dear...
I can't even fathom how one single person could have that much anime. Shocked
Someone has a pretty nice job I must say.
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:00 pm Reply with quote
So...much...ANIME! Shocked Cool
heavyweather

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:05 pm Reply with quote
I hate to nitpick, but the protagonist of Otoboku is named what?
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:09 pm Reply with quote
There's something quite mesmerising about going through pictures of such a huge collection. It's like learning the alphabet in a blissful fantasy, one's eyes attentively moving from boxset to boxset, shelf to shelf, looking out to see if your favorites have a home there.
Ultimately it leaves the viewer with a slight feeling of inadequacy though.

As odd as it may be for me to say this, I don't really want to start watching Emma right now. I feel it needs to be dubbed appropriately on the DVDs (by 'appropriately' I mean not doing a Hellsing) for the audio to cohere with how I expect the characters to sound.
In this case I effectively renounce one form of elitism in order to adopt another.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Azmodeus

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:16 pm Reply with quote
Holy friggin mother of Jesus!!Shocked That is the 2nd biggest collection i've ever seen (1st being that of that ANN employee a few months ago, forgot who)!!

Everyone seems to be giving Emma high praise. I would check it out if it wasn't for the whole inevitable thing. Has sort of gotten fed up with it (too much fantasy and their prophecy's) .
sarsman45

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Holy magicarp! Thats a lot!!!

By the way Bamboo, where the hell have you been all these years to never step foot in San Gabriel? As a local SoCal-er, you should have been there the first time you could drive. Any asian (wannabe or not) could tell you to go to LA, San Gabriel, Arcadia, Diamond Bar to eat authentic, better than China, asian food. I dare say, you have a lot of catching up to do, since San Gabriel has more restaurants than days in a year! Laughing

Last edited by sarsman45 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
DerekTheRed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Those shelves make me want to bring "Sweet baby Jesus!" out of retirement.
Mistypearl

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:29 pm Reply with quote
Those shelves...

OMFG. GIGANTOR.
DavidShallcross

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
I am curious what distinction Zenith27 is making between "Titles" and "DVDs". There seem to be about 5% more DVDs than Titles. I don't notice any duplicates, (now that I realize that the later bunch of photos had DVDs added in front of the shelves shown in the earlier bunch of photos). It looks like there are too many box sets for each to count as only one Title.

Almost any English dub of Emma would get complaints for not having accents authentic to the time, place, and class of the characters. From what I've seen of the episode that came with one of the last issues of Newtype USA, there is enough realism otherwise, that viewers would demand a realistic audio track, without necessarily agreeing on what one would be.

Last edited by DavidShallcross on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:37 pm Reply with quote
heavyweather wrote:
I hate to nitpick, but the protagonist of Otoboku is named what?

The protagonist is named Mizuho.
lessonguy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:41 pm Reply with quote
i wonder how much that all cost... <_<_>
idaho777

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:09 pm Reply with quote
holy IASJFAIUSFIUASF
thats a lot of manga xDD
i bet that costs alott
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:11 pm Reply with quote
As much as I would love to have a collection that size, I just totally could not. My shelves are almost full as is and I have no more room right now to add more units. My bookshelves are just as bad (and there's 3 units of them, 1 anime unit, 1 non-anime unit) and my Game section is pretty much stuffed too (but hey, 4 consoles share the space! and I refuse to put another one in, they'll just have to double up eventually...its in a different location). Also, I just wouldn't be able to justify time to watch them all (or buy them all for that matter, unless I had a sweet employee discount somewhere), I can't even justify most of my game backlog (which spans across 8 consoles/handhelds), I don't feel like I'd ever be able to watch that many DVDs!

And I am very jealous of: Kino's Journey (hopefully it'll go on the TSRI 67% sale they're doing right now, just in time for my b-day), Princess Tutu singles (with the pretty covers instead of that weird thing that ADV put on the thickpack), and Maison Ikkoku DVDs (I have all the manga, but still...)

So glad I brought a DVD binder for my dorm though, much easier, no cases! and I only took to two most active consoles with me (PS2 & Wii), so all is good!

I've been considering sending in pics of my own, but I don't feel its perfected yet!!

huh, I was wondering how it got called "Pumpkin Scissors" for a while now...
Chrno2

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Whoa Zenith27, you got 'Brigadoon' on your top 10 list? NIIIIIICE!! Now that's a niche title if you ever saw one. I gotta sit down and finally watch that series now that I own it commercially. I purchased and watched the R2 releases (some years back) and fell in love it. Even though I barely knew what the hell was going on. Never expected it to be ported over. The last of 'TP''s DVD market.

Nice list. Looks like ADV is dominating your collection. Smile

This holiday I will be watching me some 'Emma' yo'.
sabriyahm

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
I can't even be jealous of those shelves. They are beyond my greatest imaginings of what I want.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4