• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach TV Anime Ending on March 27

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:40 pm Reply with quote
http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/anime/lee/staff/index.html

The staff list for the Rock Lee anime that's taking Bleach's timeslot has been posted. anime#13834

The show has 3 people who were active on Bleach. Kento Shimoyama (script supervisor, scriptwriter), Sawako Takagi (art director) and Naoko Abe (color coordination). Seems like further confirmation that Bleach is ending and the staff is moving onto other projects now.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I imagine Bleach will just get a Final Act like Inuyasha did down the road.

Fans just have to take a break for a bit and read the manga in the meantime.
maxxjulie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:23 am Reply with quote
why couldn't the creator or the station clearly state that the show is over and that's it's instead of being vague for no reason whatsoever. there would be no debate if they weren't so stupid about it. how hard is it to tweet a statement that confirms it's over? guy can't take 20 seconds out his day? some people are still debating in forums about this all because the lack of clear communication.
Andros0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
Kind of off-topic but I find it amusing that Twitter is now looked to for "official" announcements
maxxjulie wrote:
why couldn't the creator or the station clearly state that the show is over ... how hard is it to tweet a statement that confirms it's over?

Twitter: the service that lets you know what your favorite celebrity is eating for breakfast; where the schmo down the street shops for shoes; what's happening in the life of a drunken co-ed; (or where the drunken celebrity was when they tried to eat their shoes for breakfast); all in 140 characters or less.
agila61

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:45 pm Reply with quote
maxxjulie wrote:
why couldn't the creator or the station clearly state that the show is over and that's it's instead of being vague for no reason whatsoever. ...

A possible reason is that they don't know the answer to the next question ~ "will it be coming back, and if so when?" ~ and do don't want to be put in a position of having the question asked.

Of course, given its ratings, a very large number of people will fail to notice that anything has changed.
geekonamotorcycle

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Kon confirmed that sunday's episode ended with the final illustrated guide to soul reapers. So sad. I just found out the show was ending with sundays episode. With no good gundam shows on I am scrambling to replace something which I just realized I have watched every single week for 8 god damned years. I wanted to to see the vander reich arc animated! I want to know why it looks like zangetsu is in cahrge! WTF.

Funny story. I first saw bleach when I went to a gathering of nerds at USF. It was a date with an otaku woman I met through a friend. I ended up in bed with her that night and then got chased out by her boyfriend. I have so many good memories and times associated with this show. I can still clearly hear the first opening theme in my head. I guess all good things must come to an end. When I get a chance I will sit down and watch all the cannon episodes back to back as a final tribute.

I am downloading Another and Lagrange I hope they can carry me over until the next Gundam unicorn. Naruto is alright right now, but it is no bleach and I think I am too old to get invested in another anime like I did with bleach.
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 pm Reply with quote
This project is like pointless wandering, large scale-wise. The plot is repetitive (a girl got kidnapped to Soul society so the gang would rescue her and explore the area, then another girl got kidnapped to Hollow world so the gang could rescue her and explore the area, so on).

While it is sad that the end is not going to be animated (OVA as best), the show was beaten to death quite a time ago. Ratings went down almost four times during last few years.
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:21 pm Reply with quote
It's over.

You know, I was actually amazed at how many people continued to deny it until today. General consensus, at least from what I had seen, was that the quality of Bleach had gone down the tubes, and Kubo had trolled his audience so many times they had stopped caring. The ratings in Japan dropping like rocks only seemed to confirm that.

But when the show was cancelled, there was a bizzare outpouring of support that I was not expecting, and crediting Kubo with things I assumed were trolling, that's how wrong they sounded. Kubo knows how to write women? Since when is drawing a large cup size character development outside of Manryu? That he has this complex master plan? I see more forward planning in a janitor's schedule.

If the Bleach of the first season was cancelled, I'd be mad. Now I'm just struggling to figure out why others are mad.
JadeTora

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:40 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
It's over.

You know, I was actually amazed at how many people continued to deny it until today. General consensus, at least from what I had seen, was that the quality of Bleach had gone down the tubes, and Kubo had trolled his audience so many times they had stopped caring. The ratings in Japan dropping like rocks only seemed to confirm that.

But when the show was cancelled, there was a bizzare outpouring of support that I was not expecting, and crediting Kubo with things I assumed were trolling, that's how wrong they sounded. Kubo knows how to write women? Since when is drawing a large cup size character development outside of Manryu? That he has this complex master plan? I see more forward planning in a janitor's schedule.

If the Bleach of the first season was cancelled, I'd be mad. Now I'm just struggling to figure out why others are mad.

Because your tastes are not our tastes and some of us actually enjoyed Bleach the whole way through and don't think Kubo was 'trolling us' - Specifically because this new Arc with the Fullbringers was good and the new one they're currently on seems to be brimming with potential.

You know there are other views other than your own.
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
Beatdigga wrote:
But when the show was cancelled, there was a bizzare outpouring of support that I was not expecting, ...

How odd that you did not. Any series this long ~ and ranking higher among Western shonen fans than in Japan, to boot ~ has its share of viewers who don't bother engaging with haters on forums, but just watch the show, week after week.

News that it is coming to an end will bring those people out.

To the serious Japanese fans of one of these Shonen Jump Weeky, Weekly Shonen Magazine (etc.) type series, the manga series is the real thing and these anime are a chance to revisit their favorite series, so the ending of the run of a long-running series with microscopic ratings is no big deal ... and gets perfunctory coverage.

Plus entertainment media in Japan are almost completely compliant stenographers of the industry line, so if the production committee does not want to make a big deal about it, they won't press. Western fans of the show will be puzzled by this quiescent reaction to what is, to them, a big deal.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:05 am Reply with quote
The thing about Bleach is that it was one of the shows that made it to US TV and is in some ways a remnant of that period when anime on US TV was more than just kiddie toons.

I found the news seemed to come more as rumors, so seeing an actual final episode come out is a little surprising, although not unexpected.

Any sort of hatred for Bleach, and for that matter Naruto, came from the abundant filler episodes. But would you rather have a new filler episode or a repeat? The typical current lifetime for a US TV cartoon series is about 65 episodes with about 13 or 26 new episodes a year, and even the 26 episode series are split. Bleach provided about ten times that number with a new episode practically every week.

I do think it's time for Bleach to wrap up. There really isn't any more story to tell. He became so powerful that the only thing left was to take all his power away so he could power up again. Naruto still has some ways to go but given it's length it could also end any time. I wouldn't mind the show lasting for another hundred episodes but I wouldn't mind a break like they did between Naruto and Naruto Shipudden.

Although I think we could be seeing the era of the mega-anime coming to an end. The model seems to be more a case of doing one series of 13 to 26 episodes, then if that is successful another series of 13 episodes comes out. Natsume has had four series of 13 episodes each, giving it a total of 62 episodes and it could still go longer.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:37 pm Reply with quote
I think this could be a good thing. Perhaps people will begin to look "farther afield" for new shows to watch and broaden their horizons.

I don't see Toriko catching on quite like Bleach has. It has an entirely different dynamic going on as far as storytelling goes. Fairytale is of course in a different magazine, and IMHO is a more of a hangers-on type show to the Big3. The writing isn't very inspired, copied art style, etc.
JadeTora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:30 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I think this could be a good thing. Perhaps people will begin to look "farther afield" for new shows to watch and broaden their horizons.

I don't see Toriko catching on quite like Bleach has. It has an entirely different dynamic going on as far as storytelling goes. Fairytale is of course in a different magazine, and IMHO is a more of a hangers-on type show to the Big3. The writing isn't very inspired, copied art style, etc.

Implying everyone who watches Bleach are so shallow? What is with the wide sweeping generalizations everyone seems to want to peg on people who watch and like Bleach?

Seriously.. Just because something doesn't appeal to your personal tastes does not mean that everyone that likes it is some shallow-minded classless idiot lacking completely in taste.
aereus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm Reply with quote
I'm not gong to attack anyone personally, but generally speaking yes, if someone expresses genuine lament at a series like Bleach going off the air, I'm going to assume they lack taste.

It's very tried-and-true Jump formula and Ichigo is such a terribly written main character. Everyone else practices for hundreds of years and he's magically better than them in a couple of months. Then he fights you with his Shinigami-Hollow-Visored-Fullbring-Jellydonut powers...
JadeTora

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
aereus wrote:
I'm not gong to attack anyone personally, but generally speaking yes, if someone expresses genuine lament at a series like Bleach going off the air, I'm going to assume they lack taste.

It's very tried-and-true Jump formula and Ichigo is such a terribly written main character. Everyone else practices for hundreds of years and he's magically better than them in a couple of months. Then he fights you with his Shinigami-Hollow-Visored-Fullbring-Jellydonut powers...

Sir I suggest you look up two words in a dictionary.

"Sarcasm" and "Opinion", I believe you need help understanding both.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 12