• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bleach TV Anime Ending on March 27

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ulinox

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:27 am Reply with quote
Good riddance. Saw this coming a mile away.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:28 am Reply with quote
Don't think it will stay dormant until the manga is finished.
Kubo has already said this final arc will be the longest yet.
Can't see them wanting to wait 5+ years.
I think this will be more a case of what happened with Gintama, where the show goes on a break for a year or so, to ensure there is enough material to avoid fillers.
Good decision really.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 am Reply with quote
I thought they were going to do this at the end of the Arrancar arc at this time last year, but they decided to keep it going and animate the Fullbring Arc. I don't think it has anything to do with ratings etc. The anime is ridiculously close to the manga (it's basically caught up) and instead of doing fillers for a year or more, they're going to give the manga time to get ahead before they start to animate the final arc. Just my guess.
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:46 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
Isn't there like 19 chapters left in this arc? Theres no way they'll fit them into 5 episodes... it likely won't even finish the Fullbring arc, which means they're just putting it out of its misery at this point due to the bad ratings and apathy for the anime.

If I recall correctly, they condensed the first 8 or so volumes (~70 chapters) into about 10 episodes when Bleach first started, due to them throwing out so much of the comedic material, on top of simply sprinting through it like there was no tomorrow. By the end of the Soul Society arc at episode 63 or 64, they'd covered something like 20 volumes. Bleach has always had a horrible time, imo, because they can't seem to pace it very well. Either they blitz through the chapter>episode conversion, or they drag through it slower than the spoiler[Marineford War Arc] in One Piece. I'm hoping this is indeed the same move that Gintama made, as the constant and horrible filler put me off of watching the anime several years ago. It'd be nice to get a good 12+ months of canon anime with no sign of filler anywhere to be seen.
Jackstick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:11 am Reply with quote
Could we get some clarification on what the heck is actually happening?

Is Bleach just moving on to a different channel, or taking a long break? Or is it being cancelled for good?
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:13 am Reply with quote
So, the TV ratings have fallen so low that they won't even wait now that it's known coming the last manga arc (how ever long that may be)?
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:15 am Reply with quote
Jackstick wrote:
Could we get some clarification on what the heck is actually happening?

Is Bleach just moving on to a different channel, or taking a long break? Or is it being cancelled for good?

That "Final" mark in the TV listing is pretty definite that this is the final episode of Bleach.

That doesn't mean a year or four later there couldn't be a brand new program like "Bleach W" which picks up where Bleach left off.

But it does mean that it's definitely not just moving time slots or channels.
TheHTRO

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:20 am Reply with quote
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Finally. But the hanging question is what will replace it in the Big Three for anime? Fairy Tale?

I don't mean to nitpick, but that would be Fairy "Tail".

Anyway, I had also heard about this, but I remember going to another forum and reporting it, only to discover that it was just changing timeslots, but yes, it looks like it's actually ending this time.

Fun Fact: When the show premiered in 2004, it replaced F-Zero: Falcon Densetsu in it's original Japanese timeslot.
jmaeshawn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:26 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
jmaeshawn wrote:
Now I'm looking forward to Naruto's inevitable cancellation. \Anime smile/
「ナルト」の終わりまでお楽しみに!!

Considering a second Naruto show is replacing Bleach's timeslot... that's unlikely.

Aw... too bad. But at least one of the thorns in anime's side is finally being pulled out and burned in the incinerator, even if it is being replaced with another.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:22 am Reply with quote
It does seem odd to cut it short just as it's near the finish line. Here's hoping it gets brought back later for the final arc.

Bleach is the only one of the big three that I've been following since day one. I stopped watching Naruto and One Piece ages ago but Bleach has always perservered. It had its not so good moments, but as a whole it's a great time with characters that have long since been like old friends. When it's all over I'll miss them greatly.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:42 am Reply with quote
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Megiddo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:56 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Finally. But the hanging question is what will replace it in the Big Three for anime? Fairy Tale?

Big Three is Jump only, so Toriko.

Hah, a Hunter X Hunter manga volume sells three times as many copies as Toriko.

Anyway, this isn't surprising in the least. Hell, with the years Bleach has been at 1-2% ratings share in a decent timeslot I'm amazed it took them this long to end it.
Nico1924

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:14 am Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
If I recall correctly, they condensed the first 8 or so volumes (~70 chapters) into about 10 episodes when Bleach first started, due to them throwing out so much of the comedic material, on top of simply sprinting through it like there was no tomorrow.

No, you don't recall correctly!
Bleach 10 first episodes adapted 32 manga chapters (and not 70!!!)

And about this Rock Lee's spinoff, doesn't it have like only 8 chapters or so?

Last edited by Nico1924 on Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:18 am; edited 1 time in total
Primus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:17 am Reply with quote
-user removed- wrote:
The Bleach anime is NOT CANCELED, people, it's just moved to another timeslot. Jesus, get a grip. If it were you canceled you would not be hearing about it first from TV GUIDE.

That's actually exactly how we found out Dragon Ball Kai was ending.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:28 am Reply with quote
Bleach has so little story content per chapter, I guess the anime could conceivably cover the last 19 chapters of the Xcution arc in only 5 episodes, but that would be a shame, since there's at least one chapter (the one that shows spoiler[Riruka's, Yukio's, Giriko's and Jackie's pasts]) that could easily be expanded to fill an entire episode.

Last edited by Zhou-BR on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:14 am; edited 1 time in total
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 12