• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment Gets Kurokami Anime

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
einhorn303

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 pm Reply with quote
On the other hand, it's worth pointing out that in Japan many regions don't recieve certain anime. For a lot of shows, unless you like in Tokyo, you're screwed.

Americans just expect to get everything they want and love to complain.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
On the other hand, it's worth pointing out that in Japan many regions don't recieve certain anime. For a lot of shows, unless you like in Tokyo, you're screwed.

Americans just expect to get everything they want and love to complain.

Well when FUNi and VIZ Media are doing it the right way and along come Bandai, what do you expect us to do? Laughing
DFBTG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:13 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Dang it, I was hoping it was being put onto Hulu or CR. There went my hopes, and the likelihood of me watching it. I don't get the station, and even if I did...I hate watching TV. Although I won't benefit from this, it's nice to see that they're doing something to knock off a point for fansubs....though I'm not entirely sure if doing it by limiting it to a station that it seems few people have is really the way to do it.

That should actually encourage fansubs since none but a few areas in the US will get this. They need to stream it.

Exactly my point. If this was happening with a station that more people had, then it might have an affect. From what I gather, next to no one has heard of this station, and even less actually have it. I commend their effort, but I see it as wasted unless they manage to strike up a streaming deal with Hulu/joost/CR/what have you.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:33 pm Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I blame Bandai for this absurd marketing strategy. Usually, when an anime distributor, who specializes in releasing DVD's, not in anime broadcasting, makes an announcement, we expect an announcement regarding DVD releases.

Uh, the press release said Bandai would be releasing the DVDs. You don't expect a DVD release before broadcast do you? Maybe the DVD release will run parallel to the Japanese release. Who knows. And if this is indeed an absurd marketing strategy(and I am not saying it is), then you have no one to blame but the fans, since they are the ones who have been suggesting this very thing.

DFBTG wrote:
though I'm not entirely sure if doing it by limiting it to a station that it seems few people have is really the way to do it.

I think people have to realize here that it's not like they have a whole great deal of choices. TV stations get to pick and choose what they broadcast, and many are not geared toward anime in any fashion. It's a hard sell in theory, it's a hard sell in reality. It's not like they can go down to NBC and be like "we need you to air this show sometime between 1 PM and 2 AM for us, thanks".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kougeru

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:54 pm Reply with quote
DFBTG wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:
DFBTG wrote:
Dang it, I was hoping it was being put onto Hulu or CR. There went my hopes, and the likelihood of me watching it. I don't get the station, and even if I did...I hate watching TV. Although I won't benefit from this, it's nice to see that they're doing something to knock off a point for fansubs....though I'm not entirely sure if doing it by limiting it to a station that it seems few people have is really the way to do it.

That should actually encourage fansubs since none but a few areas in the US will get this. They need to stream it.

Exactly my point. If this was happening with a station that more people had, then it might have an affect. From what I gather, next to no one has heard of this station, and even less actually have it. I commend their effort, but I see it as wasted unless they manage to strike up a streaming deal with Hulu/joost/CR/what have you.
I want it on youtube...Crunchyroll is a scam site..charging for 420p videos and crap

I want it in youtube , preferably on their new 720p upload status (since it will be there anyway other uploaders...better they do it officially like funimation . Again, Crunchyroll is a scam...420p at hte least should be free so for the love of god anime disturbers, dont support it. youtube all the way, or at least tell crunchyroll to get some REASONABLE prices. 59.99 a yer (their cheapest offer) is a rip off for so few shows that are good.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:01 am Reply with quote
About the TV station issue, I'd also like to point out that Black God has spoiler[rape, some pretty extreme violence, women being abused/choked for disciplining in a light-hearted manner, young girls getting run over by buses,] and other sorts of mature content. So perhaps not all stations would be willing to air something like that, at least not in an 8:00 PM time slot.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:05 am Reply with quote
From the way they were selling it, you'd think it was some groundbreaking or extremely anticipated title. I've never even heard of Kurokami.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Calculusman

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:28 am Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
From the way they were selling it, you'd think it was some groundbreaking or extremely anticipated title. I've never even heard of Kurokami.

They were selling it big because of the "how" not because of the "what." The big deal is the supposedly "first simultaneous dub airing" or whatever.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:30 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
And on the bright side, with the show airing on a non-Starz owned block there is a shot that us Canadians may even get it on a channel that people actually have.

At least Starz has more throw and the outside chance of HD presentations (even if the only one done that way so far was Dead Space: Downfall.)
hikaru004

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:42 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
About the TV station issue, I'd also like to point out that Black God has spoiler[rape, some pretty extreme violence, women being abused/choked for disciplining in a light-hearted manner, young girls getting run over by buses,] and other sorts of mature content. So perhaps not all stations would be willing to air something like that, at least not in an 8:00 PM time slot.

And you think that Japanese TV is going to show that too? I'm betting it airs censored like Ga-rei Zero.
Kaioshin_Sama

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:45 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
I'm laughing at the absurdity of Bandai's marketing strategy. Announce the Broadcast of an anime shows that's being shown simultanously on an anime channel that virtually nobody has heard of and that nobody can get access to?

AHAHAHAHA

Let me start over ... Bandai should be shamed of itself ... this was lame @#$ weak marketing.

I blame Bandai for this absurd marketing strategy. Usually, when an anime distributor, who specializes in releasing DVD's, not in anime broadcasting, makes an announcement, we expect an announcement regarding DVD releases.

Just another example of Bandai failing to capture the thunder.

Bandai, next time you decide on an announcement, make sure that it's a DVD release and not a broadcast. I don't know of anyone who is familiar with iaTV. I know I've never heard of it.

Bonen No Xamdou's release stategy is/was worse. This actually makes practical sense and gives the show a chance at wider exposure in it's opening whereas Bonen No Xamdou's PSN release just limits it's potential and accessibility. Annoyingly so.
Colonel Wolfe

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:52 am Reply with quote
It doesn't give the show wider exposure ... the show has limited exposure in Tokyo and the U.S.
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:07 am Reply with quote
I don't get the channel, so of course I won't be watching it, but I think it's still worth while. It gives them a chance to see if this sort of method is worthwhile, I think--if dubbing works with only the pencil tests and such. If it works out and they're able to show that it does, maybe they'll have an easier time getting another anime license like this? And maybe on a channel with a wider reach, too, like on Adult Swim. (Of course with the way things are going with AS right now, maybe not...but one can dream.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:08 am Reply with quote
Colonel Wolfe wrote:
It doesn't give the show wider exposure ... the show has limited exposure in Tokyo and the U.S.

Any TV airing is wider exposure than no TV airing.
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:30 am Reply with quote
this is going to be such a huge failure in the US...they are essentially implying last minute/impromptu dubbing, which means no drama, lack of emotions, and thus we're going to get dull like characters for a series that could potentially be amazing.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6