• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: New Fullmetal Alchemist TV Anime to Premiere in April

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ranemoraken

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:56 am Reply with quote
Rumors had been flying for April. I haven't checked out the teaser yet; hopefully it'll confirm or squash other rumors.

[EDIT: Warning -- This thread may contain unmarked spoilers for the Fullmetal Alchemist manga and the 2003-2004 TV series.~Zalis]
Shotaro

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:06 am Reply with quote
April? Umm..April Fool's joke much? I dunno..

What else could they do with the series that hasn't already been done? A completely new, re-imagining of the series that follows the manga closer? Which isn't even finished yet. Can't believe BONES is trying to pull a fast one on the fans or milking a cow that can't make anymore milk.
Nebs

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:11 am Reply with quote
Shotaro wrote:
April? Umm..April Fool's joke much? I dunno..

April is one of the two big premiere months for anime in Japan. The other being October.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:16 am Reply with quote
It was pretty exciting as a fan of FMA to see that at the end of the episode of Gundam 00. Especially considering it was already a pretty exciting episode of that show. I e-mailed ANN shortly after.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zoe

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Shotaro wrote:
A completely new, re-imagining of the series that follows the manga closer? Which isn't even finished yet.

The end is in sight.
Verdeloth26

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:17 am Reply with quote
Well if the rumors are true, we can get excited. Not too excited yet, though. Wait until more details come out, like a plot synopsis and cast/crew lists.
GeneralArrow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:51 am Reply with quote
Lets just hope this turn out to be true! YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:05 am Reply with quote
A little dissapointed that it's in April, why not sooner:(. Anyway it's either prob going to be full reboot(which I support as they can do a different style) or a continuation from where the manga broke off(which is more likely as the art style looks the same and the brothers are in their own world with their original bodies, and by original I mean the start of the series not pre-screwed up transformation).

Anyway FMA manga is almost done it prob will take another year or so as things are winding up to final climax and by the time that the anime gets to the manga, the manga hopefully will be done.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:13 am Reply with quote
Jarmel wrote:
A little dissapointed that it's in April, why not sooner:(. Anyway it's either prob going to be full reboot(which I support as they can do a different style) or a continuation from where the manga broke off(which is more likely as the art style looks the same and the brothers are in their own world with their original bodies, and by original I mean the start of the series not pre-screwed up transformation).

Anyway FMA manga is almost done it prob will take another year or so as things are winding up to final climax and by the time that the anime gets to the manga, the manga hopefully will be done.

Because any sooner would place it in the Winter season, which is only like 4 or so weeks from now, and they wouldn't have been able to get anything done by then.
Jarmel

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:18 am Reply with quote
Yes I know, they need time for the hype machine, but one can hope for a surprise no matter how unlikely.

By the way have they mentioned yet how they are going to handle this(in regards to continuing the series)?
Wyvern

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:20 am Reply with quote
So what on Earth can they do with the story at this point? Two possibilities that I can see:

1) Remake time! Only this time we'll just adapt the manga instead of making everything up ourselves.

2) Picking up from the movie, it's Ed and Al's wacky adventures in the "real" world, as they quest to find a way back home. Meeting famous historical figures! Getting mixed up in pre-WWII Europe! Trying to figure out cars and radios! The writers concoct a plot device that lets them use alchemy on Earth!
penguintruth

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:26 am Reply with quote
New series is Ed and Al owning a pharmacy in 1940s Germany.

Fullmetal Pharmacist.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
MetatronM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:32 am Reply with quote
Wyvern wrote:
So what on Earth can they do with the story at this point? Two possibilities that I can see:

1) Remake time! Only this time we'll just adapt the manga instead of making everything up ourselves.

2) Picking up from the movie, it's Ed and Al's wacky adventures in the "real" world, as they quest to find a way back home. Meeting famous historical figures! Getting mixed up in pre-WWII Europe! Trying to figure out cars and radios! The writers concoct a plot device that lets them use alchemy on Earth!

The art of Mustang in the trailer makes it very very clear that this is not a continuation of the previous series.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:42 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:
Wyvern wrote:

The art of Mustang in the trailer makes it very very clear that this is not a continuation of the previous series.

Well, I guess that ends that possibility (thank god, I was fine with the movie ending, and didn't really think a sequel was necessary).

And even though the manga is still ongoing, I highly doubt the anime will catch up. By the time this comes out, the manga will be at chapter 93 (and remember, these chapters are monthly with about 40 pages). So it would take the anime at least 80-90 weeks to catch up to ch. 93, and by then the manga will most likely have concluded already.
mufurc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:48 am Reply with quote
MetatronM wrote:

He doesn't look that different. Also, it may be simply a case of a different character designer or something. Anyway, I suppose we'll find out on the 12th.

What I can't help wondering about is, if it's going to be a reboot, how they're going to deal with the same things up until Hughes' death. Are they just going to breeze through them? Besides, for some reason I don't think this new show will be 52 episodes long... Ah well, we'll see.

doctordoom85 wrote:
By the time this comes out, the manga will be at chapter 93 (and remember, these chapters are monthly with about 40 pages). So it would take the anime at least 80-90 weeks to catch up to ch. 93, and by then the manga will most likely have concluded already.

They won't have that long. The anime is going to be 52 episodes at most.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8