• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
grgspunk wrote:

"This show may not necessarily turn non-moe fans around, but..."

"Whether this show is right for you or not depends on whether you into the moe genre..."

"This show is best viewed if you have an appreciation for moe-style titles..."

Of all the things he could have said, why'd he have to say something so stupid-sounding like "moe overkill"? That's just begging for flak.

You can write a sentence like that for literally every show ever and dismiss all of its faults. 'People who like this sort of thing will like this'. That's true for everything if you're not willing to actually examine the show itself; it's not a criticism at all, it's not even an analysis, it's just a statement.

What, you think the fact that a title happens to be "moe" is sufficient enough criticism?

And besides, you guys said it yourself that you need to inform non-moe viewers of what they're getting into, so whether it is actually a piece of criticism is irrelevant.

Quote:
Quote:
I'll point to the parody review I did for Clannad 2 After Story in this year's preview guide:

Rating: whatever it is you think the rating should be (of 5, but you can change that scale if you need to because it might be unfair)

Review: I like this show as much as you like it, if not more, or less. It's about people doing things. I enjoyed it, but also liked some parts more than I liked other parts, but I also loved some parts, so that was good. There are many attractive people in this show and I plan on enjoying their attractiveness throughout the show. In addition, the music was also something I liked about this show. And the animation was something I liked.

Also, things happened in this show. Some of them I liked, others I loved. If you like shows like this one, you will like this show.

Overall, Clannad After Story is a show that I liked as much as you did, if not more, or less.

The funny thing is, there were people in the forums who thought this was sincere, said it was a good review and were surprised I liked the show. Seriously. This is apparently what a bunch of people think is good criticism.

The problem with moe reviews is that unless you give it a glowing, positive review - and I've observed this over time - then the fans will feel personally offended and will come into the forums to complain. Happens every time. I've never seen a case where we reviewed a moe show positively and the fans came in to disagree for 10 pages - we could publish the most incompetently-written review that doesn't examine the show at all, but so long as the tone is positive and the scores are high enough, nobody will complain. That's why it's hard to take a lot of these criticisms - and they're always the same screeds about objectivity and professionalism and unfair biased critics - seriously. They seem disingenuous; the root of it all isn't some massive systemic problem with how we handle reviews, nor is it a case of the critic 'not knowing what he's doing' or being unprofessional biased etc etc, it's just that you like the show, and he didn't. That's what it boils down to.

And I don't see fans coming to disagree for 10 pages in a positive review for any other type of title either. You honestly think such things are somehow exclusive to "moe" titles?

Quote:

There are countless places you could go to get a wealth of opinion on Nanoha; Carl's review is but one among surely thousands. I think he makes his points very well, and explains what he thought the problems with the show are.

If he paid more attention to his tone, wording and focus (I.E. not getting hung up twice on a 15 second piece of footage and also take a little bit of time to discuss the music he rated rather poorly), I would actually agree with you instead of accusing you of pushing an anti-moe bias.

Last edited by grgspunk on Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 4 times in total
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:36 pm Reply with quote
Greed1914 wrote:

But couldn't it have just as easily been left out? Even if it was the tiniest portion of the show, why was it included at all? Did people necessarily need to see it happen to get the point? Maybe that was the reasoning.

The whipping scene make PERFECT sense (from a directing point of view) in this series.

Precia Testarossa is a deranged mad scientist, who's obsession with the Jewel Seeds make her even more unstable. In the lat part of the show, she was not even thinking straight, She sees Fate as an object, not a daughter (no spoiler from me, you'll see what I mean). Anyone or anything that gets in her way will be destroyed, so I don't see what's so strange about her abusing Fate like that. That scene tell a lot about Precia, but also about Fate, as she takes the abuse and does not complain. That is the response of a child abused by it's mother, a response that is seen all the time in the real world. Fate did not do what Precia commanded, so she was punished in a horrible and painfull way. That scene was in NO WAY fanservice, and if you see it like that, there is something wrong with you, I'm afraid.

There is also another reason for Precia's abuse

spoiler[She hates Fate from the bottom of her heart, beacuse she is just a clone of her dead daughter. Yes, Fate is not her child, she is just a "tool" Precia created to gather the Jewel Seeds, so she could ressurrect her true daughter. She hates Fate because she is alive, while her daughter is not]

Still this it's about fanservice?

About the naked lolicon scenes: Nanoha has Sailor Moon-ish transformations about 4 times in the 13 episodes. There's also a more fanservice orientated hot-spring episode, where the fanservice scenes last about 4 minutes. The rest of the episode is a meeting with Arf and a battle with Fate. Other then the transormation scene and the onsen scenes, there's almost no other fanservice, maybe a panty-shot or two I may have missed.

About the story:
It starts off, reall bad. But when Fate arrives, the whole "collect the jewels" thing takes a back seet, and is almost not even mentioned.
The real story is about Nanoha dealing with the abused Fate, while trying to prevend Precia from digging up spoiler[ ancient magic and technology that could resurrect her daughter]

About Nanoha's mature thoughts: she grew up in a familly of martial artist, and leared those values from a very young age.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:38 pm Reply with quote
Slight spoilers here in regards to what Fate went thru with her mothers treatment of her but spoiler[in Strikers you actually see that it had an effect on her. She has a soft spot for kids with no parents who are in rough shape and actually becomes the guardian for several because she doesn't want them to feel like she did. ]

The scene was basically their to show you just how completely messed up her mother is and how she will do anything to achieve her goals. Like its been mentioned having her sit in the corner doesn't pack anywhere near the emotional impact of watching her get whipped by her mother and it has a plot point later with Fates familiar. Spoilers spoiler[Arf basically decides she has had enough and she will protect Fate even if she won't so she attacks her mother. Her mother nearly kills her and she retreats and is found by Nanoha where Arf explains in part what Prescia Testarossa is up to while begging her to have mercy on Fate.]
Greed1914 wrote:
About Nanoha's mature thoughts: she grew up in a familly of martial artist, and leared those values from a very young age.

I'd still say thats the one part of his review I really agree with. her dialouge does sound older then it should be. Then again considering 1/2 the anime dialogue out there its a relatively minor point. I would not consider anime dialog to be anything close to realistic.
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:44 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
EDIT:
Quote:
The reason why it's good then is that it is like Sailor Moon, CCS, Dragonball Z, and Gundam merged together.

Emotionally complex plot with awesome actions sequences that have at least some decent form of TACTICS. It's tactics WITHOUT the drawn out explanations of how the special technique was created and how hard they trained to get it.

THAT is why Nanoha is awesome!

Okay, that's a good start. The thing is, I haven't seen Sailor Moon or CCS (I know, I need to, and I'm planning to), and I hate DBZ and dislike Gundam.

Why do you consider the plot emotionally complex? The tactics thing does sound good--although...not really for me. (Particularly if it's "tactics" along the lines of DBZ.) I do like the point that they don't have those drawn out explanations, though, since that's one reason I really dislike shounen.

Okay... for an anime that has this level of action, there is a lot of compassion and empathy than I normally see. It does probably pale in comparison to some other anime that is geared to complex relationships. It does squash other action titles in empathy however.

The tactics is more comparable to Naruto without the long explanations and much faster battles. It has intelligence use of magical abilities where you would think "Ah, that is a smart way of using it". It does take a few episodes to get to see some of those tactics though. They are also tactics that people can follow decently well without explanation.

It compares favourably to series like Sailor Moon where you see the same finishing move over and over. Nanoha does NOT have this. Nanoha also does not have all the mid-bosses you see in Sailor Moon.

Also, nothing mind-numbing like trying harder/training more always results in a victory is in here.

You get a bunch of good stuff drawn from various genres without the stuff that draws out those genres.
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
I'd still say thats the one part of his review I really agree with. her dialouge does sound older then it should be. Then again considering 1/2 the anime dialogue out there its a relatively minor point. I would not consider anime dialog to be anything close to realistic.

Perhaps, but they do say it in the anime, before she leaves her house, when she is alone in the dojo, and her sibling (or fater, I don't remember) joines her, and talks to her.
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:54 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:

Still this it's about fanservice?

Uh, it can be both. Just because a scene in the show has a reason to exist in the narrative doesn't mean it can't also be exploitative. See, Berserk spoilers: spoiler[Caska's rape scene in the manga.] A lot depends on how the scene was directed.

Personally, I don't remember much about the scene one way or the other, but I seem to recall a slight lingering on her wounds that seemed possibly gratuitous. Not enough to get me up in arms--though the transformation scenes are pretty barf-worthy--but enough that I can see how someone might get the wrong impression.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:55 pm Reply with quote
If people find shots of wounds fanservicey then they can stay the hell away from me. Shocked
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:59 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:
If people find shots of wounds fanservicey then they can stay the hell away from me. Shocked

Amen brother. All I was thinking during that sene, and the next one, where spoiler[Arf can't take any more and attack Precia, only to be wounded very badly] was "Poor Fate", "Is it over yet?", and "Goddamn that crazy bitch, I hope she dies by the end".

In no way was I thinking "Man, Fate sure looks hot tied up and beaten like that".
MorwenLaicoriel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Counter Arts wrote:
Okay... for an anime that has this level of action, there is a lot of compassion and empathy than I normally see. It does probably pale in comparison to some other anime that is geared to complex relationships. It does squash other action titles in empathy however.

The tactics is more comparable to Naruto without the long explanations and much faster battles. It has intelligence use of magical abilities where you would think "Ah, that is a smart way of using it". It does take a few episodes to get to see some of those tactics though. They are also tactics that people can follow decently well without explanation.

It compares favourably to series like Sailor Moon where you see the same finishing move over and over. Nanoha does NOT have this. Nanoha also does not have all the mid-bosses you see in Sailor Moon.

Also, nothing mind-numbing like trying harder/training more always results in a victory is in here.

You get a bunch of good stuff drawn from various genres without the stuff that draws out those genres.

...So...it's...a typical magical girl show, only the action scenes are more shounen-y?

I'm sort of curious, how many magical girl shows have you seen? The emotional depth that you described doesn't sound to be any greater than what's in the typical shoujo action series. I can see why that sort of thing would seem pretty new and special to someone that hadn't watched much of this sort of genre, but otherwise it actually does sound a little generic.

I'm going to answer the omoikane's post real quickly, since I'm starting to feel like my posts are a little tl;dr and i want to avoid too many quote boxes:
-ANN's typical review format always lists the music in the review, but a lot of the reviews skip over it unless it's particularly good or particularly bad. A "c" is an average review, and since anime really has more to do with the animation than the music (unless it's something like Beck), I don't really see why the music needs to go into too much detail, since it doesn't impact how good or bad a show is typically. (If it was reviewing the *soundtrack*, it'd be different.)
-I don't see how comparing a show to a good show means it can't get a bad grade, so I don't get the point you're going with the CCS comparison at all. Particularly since you didn't answer my question on if that was Carl's rating for CCS in the first place. Carl listed his reasons *why* the story was given a low grade: he thought Nanoha wasn't convincing as a girl, he thought it pandered too much to fans, that it used the same old plot twists without doing anything new with them, and the characters weren't developed beyond being archetypes. Those are valid criticisms.
-If there's actually an instance of fanservice every episode...then that *is* a little disturbing, considering the age of the main characters. That seems like a valid criticism, too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:14 pm Reply with quote
Brians9824 wrote:

Are you saying these people don't exist? How quaint.
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:21 pm Reply with quote
musouka wrote:
Brians9824 wrote:

Are you saying these people don't exist? How quaint.

I'm saying to assume the average reader here DOES find that to be the case is pretty offensive. It is safe to say the majority of people would not find such things appealing in any way whatsoever.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:28 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
Of all the things he could have said, why'd he have to say something so stupid-sounding like "moe overkill"? That's just begging for flak.

Let's look at the following text from the review you're referring to:

Quote:
It can also be looked upon as. . . one the most blatant examples of the current moe fad in anime.

One cannot watch the first few episodes of Kanon without the words “formulaic moe haremfest” or something similar coming to mind, as everything about the designs, personality quirks, and behavior of the myriad array of cute girls populating the story screams characteristic moe traits; you even have two girls, instead of just one, with cutesy little characteristic sound effects! (Ayu's “uguu” and Makoto's “auu.”) Any big fan of moe should be in Seventh Heaven watching the first few episodes of this series, while others may feel like they're drowning in a vat of gooey cuteness.

Now, tell me, is there a more succinct way to describe this for the end-of-review points than "moe overkill?" Given that we're talking about the early episodes of Kanon here, can anyone justifiably argue that any of what I said there isn't true? Besides, the bold-face comment seems like exactly what you were asking for, grgspunk.

And I now return you to the "debate" about the title actually reviewed here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Counter Arts

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:33 pm Reply with quote
MorwenLaicoriel wrote:
...So...it's...a typical magical girl show, only the action scenes are more shounen-y?

I'm sort of curious, how many magical girl shows have you seen? The emotional depth that you described doesn't sound to be any greater than what's in the typical shoujo action series. I can see why that sort of thing would seem pretty new and special to someone that hadn't watched much of this sort of genre, but otherwise it actually does sound a little generic.

Well, I watched Sailor Moon, Pre-Cure (first season, half of Max Heart, Yes! 5), Ultra Maniac, Nanatsuiro Drops, a few episodes of CCS...

Shounen-y? I don't know if it's more shounen-y or more seinen-y.

I can almost say that the tactics in Nanoha is to the tactics in Gundam (Seed/Wing) as the tactics in Nadesico is to the tactics in Gundam.

EDIT: The tactics are more real and practical than hand-wavey. Like I play some FPSs like Call of Duty 4 and Rainbow Six Vegas and I can relate some of my (single and multiplayer) experiences with playing those games with the tactics used in Nanoha. The amount of uses of the distract/stun-then-strike tactic is about the same.

Last edited by Counter Arts on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zalis116

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
To take things in a slightly different direction...
Quote:
it's just that Shinbo and writer Masaki Tsuzuki are so busy parading all of their favorite visual and narrative elements that they forget to actually entertain.
But Nanoha has something that Tweeny Witches doesn't: Masaki Tsuzuki. That isn't a good thing. Third-grader Nanoha consistently acts in ways that are at direct odds with her professed age, voicing with adolescent gravitas Tsuzuki's anime platitudes about the nature of friendship, family, and other things that no eight-year-old ever pores over. The relationships he crafts are simultaneously too sophisticated for his under-aged cast and too formula-bound to qualify as mature.
I have to ask: was I the only person who looked up Masaki Tsuzuki in the Encyclopedia, expecting to find a massive list of twisted, depraved hentai (maybe including an episode of the H-anthology Cool Devices) under his "staff in" listing but finding that he's done nothing else aside from Triangle Hearts / Nanoha? [EDIT: No, I wasn't.] Where's the value in saying "oh noes it's got this guy!" when "this guy" isn't known for any other works, past or present, for us to compare to? Yet this unknown gets name-dropped as if he were Satoshi Urushihara or something. I just don't get it.

As for the "beyond her age" thing, I did see Nanoha Takamachi as quite the precocious child right from the get-go. But having seen Triangle Hearts, it made sense in the context of her family, given that her older siblings were portrayed as spoiler[having super-secret-agent ninja skills.] But even with that left aside, I saw that precociousness as part of her (otaku-targeted) charm. Granted, that's the "at-best" way to look at it, but at worst, it's no worse than 14-year-olds piloting giant robots with the skills of military-trained twentysomethings. In essence, one of those "anime" things that may not be excusable to critics, but will be forgivable to most hardcore fans. Which as everyone agrees, are the main audience for MGLN, a show that set out to do one thing (appeal to Japanese otaku) and succeeded admirably at it.

Last edited by Zalis116 on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Brians9824

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I find it intresting that Carl likes UFO Ultramaiden Valkyrie where an apparent 8 year old girl magically transforms by kissing a 17 year old guy on the lips (with heavy emphasization on her breasts growing), yet marks down this show for having disturbing transformation scenes.

A show which other ANN reviewers have also said is nothing but a hodge podge of various elements that brings nothing new to the genre and is entirely composed of fanservice.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 11 of 13