• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha DVD

Goto page   Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Splitter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quote
Nanoha is one of my favorite series, but the review here is dead-on from a non-moe lover's perspective, and I appreciate the acknowledgement of the action sequences.

I do hope Carl will review the second season. Given what he liked about this first season and what he'd like to see less of, I think he'll have a much better opinion of A's.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Having watched all 3 seasons, i think your taking the loli-service thing a bit far, now i might be unique among Nanoha fans, but i didn't watch it or keep watching it for that reason, in fact i didn't watch the first season till i was able to watch the first two.

For me the series was a magical girl show, sure there are henshin, but it's not like they show you anything DIC didn't already back in the mid 90's watching Sailor Moon who for the record was only 14 when the show started and 16 when it ended and lord knows the amount of hentai drawn about that show.

It also has pacing more like Shonen type anime, mostly in the fights.

The way you made it sound, was that it was a smut fest, for training lolicons.

The plot while nothing special was still well put together.

You gave the music a C? and didn't even tell us why? the music is one of the best parts.

Again maybe i'm just a mutant among the fans of the show, but i loved it in the 3rd season where Nanoha was older.

Not that your review will stop me from getting it, since i already have it next to my 3rd season based Nanoha and Fate figma.

and part of me is pissed at myself for not forseeing this is how some people would view Nanoha.

Should also mention i'm a huge fan of magical combat, and the techno-magic of the Nanoha-verse just made both my mecha-fan and Magic-fan sides very happy.

-Gabe
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
einhorn303

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:27 am Reply with quote
*no "in before" posts, as they qualify as one-liners* ~Zalis
Fronzel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:29 am Reply with quote
I hated this series.

It's an all-too-rare thing to see revisionist anime that screws with genre, but all they did with this one was lay a Magical Girl veneer over a muscle-brained fighting anime core, rather than deconstructing or subverting genre tropes to any significant degree (but Nanoha's good at math!).

And I just can’t stand the way Nanoha can beat anyone into friendship by raw force...and conveniently, no one is ever really hurt when she's searing white-hot love into their hearts with magical megawatt lasers.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:
I hated this series.

It's an all-too-rare thing to see revisionist anime that screws with genre, but all they did with this one was lay a Magical Girl veneer over a muscle-brained fighting anime core, rather than deconstructing or subverting genre tropes to any significant degree (but Nanoha's good at math!).

And I just can’t stand the way Nanoha can beat anyone into friendship by raw force...and conveniently, no one is ever really hurt when she's searing white-hot love into their hearts with magical megawatt lasers.

That's what makes it fun for some of us.

-G
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
uragayduck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:34 am Reply with quote
pretty much agreed with everything that rankothefiremage said. i too had my doubts when starting up the Nanoha series at first since the first few episodes screamed "typical magical girl" show. but then 2 magical things happened (bad pun unintended), mecha based magic weapons and Fate. i think Fate's story practically saved the show from falling into that "typical magical girl" show. sure the loli stuff is a bit much (i too prefer the older Fate and Nanoha in StrikerS) and the personal problems the two face are somewhat farfetched for girls their age, but it's still has a big impact stoyrwise than most magical girl shows.

next up is the music. here's something that i believe truly makes the music in all seasons great, in particular A's, from many people who happen to hear it while i listen to the soundtrack: "is that video game music?" or "what game is that music from?". ahh the smirk on my face whenever i hear that because it really does sound like game music (rpgs to be precise).

i'll never forget what line perked my interest into watching this show: "it's mahou shoujo with gundam like weapons and battles"
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:40 am Reply with quote
This was good, A's is amazing, StrikerS is trash. That's my ranking.

As stated before, the reviewer is clearly not a hardcore otaku/moe-lover. This series is an otaku's dream come true. I will not comment on the dub since dubs for magical girl series or any of the sort in the US have ever impressed me as EVERY single character loses their moe factor, nor will I comment on subbing since I haven't bought the DVD yet.

Now as for the rest of the ratings, story doesn't deserve such a horrible rating. Clearly a magical girl hater reviewing or possibly a yuri hater while we're at it (yes I believe in the Nanoha x Fate yuri couple, got a problem?) <_< If you ignore the whole magical girl factor or rather the first 3 episodes of the series, everything else is laid out rather well and I can only imagine the movie doing this even better with the rumored emphasis on Fate and Alicia's past.

Art and Animation, can't argue with you there. First season animation was only above average.

Now for Music, a C, like rankothefiremage said, there was not a single mentioning of the music scores in the series. If anything the music was rather nice for the most part. Especially the Fate and Nanoha theme :3

For the pros and cons, I see a lolicon hater as well <_< lolicon is one thing, but I feel that it's quite biased to be stating such opinions when writing a review. This includes any sort of other biased hatreds. Yes, I am assuming things about the reviewer when I know nothing about the reviewer, but I thought I should point out that the integration of personal opinions, feelings, and biases when writing a review is a big no.

I'm not a magical girl lover or hater for that manner and I watch everything unless I know straight off that it will be bad (e.g. Naruto is the primary example), Akane-iro Somaru Saka is an exception since I just wanted to see how much worse can you get with an awesome seiyuu cast. Overall, I'm neutral since the only series that have these themes that I have enjoyed thus far are the Nanoha series, Card Captor Sakura, and to some extent Shugo Chara and Nanatsuiro Drops. (the rest like Sasami Magical Girl Club, Moetan, etc... have yet to impress me). In other words, don't go bashing what I say because I'm writing this post from different perspectives and I'm aware that I'm making assumptions about the reviewer that may not be true.

Last edited by Kit-Tsukasa on Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Buster Blader 126

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:49 am Reply with quote
The first half of the series really turned me off, due to the prevalence of its loli undertones. Though as a completist, I was planning on finishing it anyway.

Good thing I did, because the second half helped redeem the series in my eyes for the most part. IIRC, the loli undertones went down somewhat in the latter half so it was more tolerable to watch, and the action and drama was heating up, too.

Overall, I found it to be a relatively decent series. I liked A's a fair bit more, though. Like Splitter, I'm curious as to what Carl will say about A's, if he ends up reviewing it.
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:51 am Reply with quote
Kit brings up Moetan, now there was an anime that was a bit creepy.

I should also point out that among some Nanoha fans i'm strange because i think StrikerS was great.

On the dub, when i finish the term i plan on watching it, the first dub i'll have watched in ages.

-G
Kit-Tsukasa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
rankothefiremage wrote:
Kit brings up Moetan, now there was an anime that was a bit creepy.

I should also point out that among some Nanoha fans i'm strange because i think StrikerS was great.

On the dub, when i finish the term i plan on watching it, the first dub i'll have watched in ages.

-G

lol, yes you are....StrikerS was just so bad except for maybe a couple of episodes.....Japan likes their lolis and when you bring the two awesome characters of an otaku's dream and make them grow up, it's a turn off....not to mention that the series ended up not focusing on the new cast anyways and that there were WAY too many characters....plus the lack of Hayate screen time, which many were expecting since she was new like Fate was in A's.

Moetan was creepy, and yet the uncut episode 6 due to "explicit" content was not really explicit <_<

@Buster Blader 126: oh man, there were loli undertones all over the place in both A's and the first season....it seemed like it died down, but they're actually hidden Razz
HitokiriShadow

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
Fronzel wrote:

Actually, Nanoha is a Super Robot show disguised as a magical girl series. It has far more in common with Super Robot shows and a number of homages to them (or so I've heard from people I trust with far more knowledge of super robot shows than me).
uragayduck

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:10 am Reply with quote
mahou shoujos aren't my thing either with the exception of Card Captor Sakura, Shugo Chara, and Nanoha which are by far the best. for Nanoha to pull off being my favorite series up there with Galaxy Angel is a pretty big feat.

don't worry rankothefiremage, i thought StrikerS was great as well. so great in fact that i collected the whole StrikerS dvd set already which is expensive enough being imported and all. i'm glad that 1st and A's will be coming to R1 to save me from that hellish bill.

i went through the dub when i first got the dvd seeing as how i've seen it in japanese 2 or 3 times already. they're pretty good except for 2 characters with one you may get used to around episode 8 or 9 and those 2 being Arisa and Yuuno. it's pushing it, but i've got to say it's the best dub i've ever heard especially for Nanoha since it's hard enough having to compete with Tamura Yukari. even more surprised that she was picked out from the anime expo voice actor panel some time ago.

interestingly enough, i'm surprised they redubbed the intelligent device voices. but i'll admit, they still sound pretty darn cool. Bardiche even has an english accent still, but it's still not as cool as Kevin J. England.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:32 am Reply with quote
Akiyuki Shinbo? I may have to check this show out. It sounds like the kind of show I'd enjoy, too.
championferret

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:35 am Reply with quote
Kit-Tsukasa wrote:
Moetan was creepy, and yet the uncut episode 6 due to "explicit" content was not really explicit <_<

After watching episode 6 I can safely say that making it dvd-only was pretty much a publicity stunt to make people buy the dvds. It was a hundred times more innocent than any of the episodes that did air....all that happened was that Ink and Nao went to the zoo and Ink had made cookies for him. She also pet some bunnies. EXPLICIIIIT! (that said it was actually a really cute episode, but that's just me)

Anyway I've been kinda interested in Nanoha... but 8? I had no idea she was 8, I thought at least 10. -shrug- I'm a big moe fan, yet the look of the characters never struck me as all that moe... Confused
rankothefiremage

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:38 am Reply with quote
Nanoha is 9 in the first 2 seasons and 19 in the 3rd
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page   Next
Page 1 of 13