• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tales of Symphonia: United World Anime Gets New Volume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mario1234567

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:03 pm Reply with quote
This needs to be licensed Blu-ray and Dubbed! I am tired of waiting Tales of Symphonia is the best Tales games and to best selling tales game in the US.. (I think it still holds that title) Also they need to Animate Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World (Knight of Ratatosk) And then make a Sequel to that game on the Nintendo Wii U...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
opn

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:22 pm Reply with quote
i thought the last volume was going to be the last... Confused anyway i dont care either way since unless TOS gets remade for a different system (like PS3 or the 3DS or hell even vita) then this will be my only way of seeing the story though its pretty good. i really hope when they mean last they do actually mean last since i would really prefer it if UFOtable gets started on a new tales of anime like xillia for instance.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:34 am Reply with quote
I hope I'll remember to get to it, when I have time... I don't think I've picked the OVA series since the first arc was over! I think it had to do with how ridiculously long the wait was getting, and I ended up caring less.

Say, being such a touchstone of the Tales Franchise, I wonder if they'll ever get to doing a 10th anniversary edition within the next few years...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:37 am Reply with quote
Mario1234567 wrote:
This needs to be licensed Blu-ray and Dubbed! I am tired of waiting Tales of Symphonia is the best Tales games and to best selling tales game in the US.. (I think it still holds that title) Also they need to Animate Tales of Symphonia Dawn of the New World (Knight of Ratatosk) And then make a Sequel to that game on the Nintendo Wii U...

Funimation said they'll only get this if Tales of Vesperia: First Strike sells well.

And I beg the differ. I think Abyss was a much better game, along with Vesperia. Just because something "sells well" doesn't mean it's the "better game." Symphonia kinda bored the heck out of me. Sure I liked the story, but the characters in the game were kinda meh.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Funimation said they'll only get this if Tales of Vesperia: First Strike sells well.

Who in Funimation said that and when?
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:04 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=435453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Scroll down. The person attended the con:

opn wrote:
seems like noone was there at the panel too report other then the news...anyway here are the tipits of info for everyone not just funi
aniplex -
- no drrr blu ray since japanese doesnt have one and madoka blu ray still not decided and their currently working on the dub
- i asked him personally about darker than black 1 and he said funimation has the blu ray license
- no toaginu no chi bloody curs (i was sad to hear this since i liked this series much more then oreimo Crying or Very sad )
- no progress on bakemono
thats about it now funi
- more op is coming but be patient and strong world is in the next set of contracts
- their looking into licensing future diary/mirai nikki
- if tales of vesperia first strike sells they will license other tales of anime including the symphonia ovas'
- no plans to release rainbow or nanoha strikerS (this made me so sad i loved both series Anime cry and i was the guy who asked about rainbow during the Q&A BTW)
also funny how he said they werent aware of the hxh remake Laughing
viz (nothing much really)
- inyuasha the final act is coming probably next year
- their aware of the beelzebub anime and manga and she said to wait for more info
i asked about nura but she said she didn't know the status for it and the same thing was said about other vizanime stuff.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:43 pm Reply with quote
Oh really? I wasn't interested in First Strike only because I hadn't played through the game yet, and now they say they won't get this if people don't get that? Kind of annoying...

Well I did want to get it eventually, perhaps I'll do so soon although it's been out long enough that time period may have passed.
opn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Kazemon15 wrote:

animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=435453&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Scroll down. The person attended the con:

opn wrote:
seems like noone was there at the panel too report other then the news...anyway here are the tipits of info for everyone not just funi
aniplex -
- no drrr blu ray since japanese doesnt have one and madoka blu ray still not decided and their currently working on the dub
- i asked him personally about darker than black 1 and he said funimation has the blu ray license
- no toaginu no chi bloody curs (i was sad to hear this since i liked this series much more then oreimo Crying or Very sad )
- no progress on bakemono
thats about it now funi
- more op is coming but be patient and strong world is in the next set of contracts
- their looking into licensing future diary/mirai nikki
- if tales of vesperia first strike sells they will license other tales of anime including the symphonia ovas'
- no plans to release rainbow or nanoha strikerS (this made me so sad i loved both series Anime cry and i was the guy who asked about rainbow during the Q&A BTW)
also funny how he said they werent aware of the hxh remake Laughing
viz (nothing much really)
- inyuasha the final act is coming probably next year
- their aware of the beelzebub anime and manga and she said to wait for more info
i asked about nura but she said she didn't know the status for it and the same thing was said about other vizanime stuff.

yep i asked most of those after the panel though at this point i'd prefer it if sentai got the symphonia ovas but i wouldnt mind if funi still got them. Smile.
@xanas the first strike for what it is which is a prequel is a very good movie with very good animation/art and i still hope to this day production IG goes back and decides to do a full length TOV anime though at this point they probably will do graces instead since its a newer game oh and you dont need any knowledge of the game to see the movie since again its a prequel.
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I think I was wrong anyway, they hadn't released it yet. I think I was thinking about the fansub. Nice to know I haven't missed the chance to make this a good release for them when they do put it out, because I really would like them to pick this up.

My issue with Sentai is that they will probably release sub-only since Bandai did this with Abyss, and Sentai has such boring releases. Can you tell me what you like about them? I think NISA and Nozomi are the only ones sub-only I'm remotely interested in. Sentai provides zero extras in most of what I've bought from them. I kind of buy hoping they'll dub if I really like something they have, or if they have a dub I'll buy from them since they do that for a decent portion of their series.
Ani-watcher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:58 pm Reply with quote
I know sales for First Strike go well because I enjoyed the film, and I'm a fan of the Tale series plus I've watched the animes and played the games.
opn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:04 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I think I was wrong anyway, they hadn't released it yet. I think I was thinking about the fansub. Nice to know I haven't missed the chance to make this a good release for them when they do put it out, because I really would like them to pick this up.

My issue with Sentai is that they will probably release sub-only since Bandai did this with Abyss, and Sentai has such boring releases. Can you tell me what you like about them? I think NISA and Nozomi are the only ones sub-only I'm remotely interested in. Sentai provides zero extras in most of what I've bought from them. I kind of buy hoping they'll dub if I really like something they have, or if they have a dub I'll buy from them since they do that for a decent portion of their series.

im probably one of the few people who dont care about extras or premium editions that much which is why i dont mind a bare bones release though i wouldnt mind to have extras. i also dont think sentai would release it sub only since they seem to stick too consistancy alot of times for shows with a past dub (it might apply to symphonia too but it depends if they try to get the games original cast back or their newer ones see DOTNW) and as of late sentai has been licensing shows im interesting it so i guess i have begun trusting them more (all of my trust for funi were pretty much destroied when they lied about higurashi selling well)
Xanas

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:14 pm Reply with quote
I can understand your perspective as their minimalist releases do tend to be inexpensive.

I agree the Higurashi thing was annoying because I also loved that show. But most of Sentai's dubs are a little rough even if they are still acceptable. They have been making some weird casting decisions lately, such as on ef ~ a tale of memories. I don't mind Greg Ayres, but he doesn't fit in the role they put him in. He fit well where Funimation put him in Heaven's Lost Property, and they seem to make good or great casting decisions generally.

In any case for all the faults Funimation may have if it's going to be dubbed I trust them to do it more than anyone else.
opn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:16 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
I can understand your perspective as their minimalist releases do tend to be inexpensive.

I agree the Higurashi thing was annoying because I also loved that show. But most of Sentai's dubs are a little rough even if they are still acceptable. They have been making some weird casting decisions lately, such as on ef ~ a tale of memories. I don't mind Greg Ayres, but he doesn't fit in the role they put him in. He fit well where Funimation put him in Heaven's Lost Property, and they seem to make good or great casting decisions generally.

In any case for all the faults Funimation may have if it's going to be dubbed I trust them to do it more than anyone else.

i liked the ef dub though i haven't seen the japanese version so that might be a reason. and yeah i can understand it if you trust funi more since they proven more times they can get back the cast for certain shows. also does anyone have sales data for the OVA's? im curious to see how they did/do i would assume their good judging from how much times more episodes keep getting green lit though but it would be nice to have exact data.
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
The thing about Abyss though is that the game didn't do so well overseas and Bandai was on their last leg before "closing down" per say. The Abyss anime wouldn't do well dubbed because the game didn't do well dubbed. Why dub something that will show no return in that profit?

And personally, I like Sentai better too. I really don't understand why people call their releases "bare bones." Funimation's "extras" only consists of trailers and creditless ops/eds, which is exactly what Sentai does now anyway.

At least with Sentai, things that arent profitable as a dub still get a sub-only release, while with Funimation, they just drop the series and don't even do a release at all.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:23 pm Reply with quote
I really hope that they group all these together into a box set; and sell em here. I dont care if they are subs or dubs, but I would love that boxset :3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1