• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Naruto" Author Interviewed by Viz Media

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tenbyakugon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 3:15 pm Reply with quote
As part of the promotion for Viz Media's recent serial Weekly Shonen Jump Alpha, the author and artist for modern manga marvel Naruto Masashi Kishimoto sat down with Viz Media's Misaki Kido.

The interview was made available in a recent issue of WSJA for subscribers only.

SPOILER ALERT: There is information within the interview that exceeds Naruto chapter 498.

Viz Media wrote:
When was the first time that you thought of becoming a mangaka and why?

Masashi Kishimoto wrote:
At some point between second and fourth grade I got into Akira Toriyama-sensei's Dr. Slump anime and Dragon Ball manga. I loved his characters. I was especially attached to Dr. Slump’s Arale and Dragon Ball’s Gout. Also, his art really appealed to me. There was something about his cartoony drawing style that felt right, more so than realistic drawings. I thought to myself, I wanted to become like Toriyama-sensei.

Viz Media wrote:
Where do you get your inspiration? Do you listen to music or watch movies when you are working?

moderator intervention:

Posting a complete article is blatant copyright infringement. It is illegal and therefor againt our TOS. We've seen many websites pirate ANN articles this way and we certainly are not going to allow other publications to be ripped off in our forums.

I've left one sample question in this post.

Anyone wishing to read the entire article can read it here: http://www.sjalpha.com/masashi-kishimoto-spotlight

-t
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:17 pm Reply with quote
So there it is, straight from the horse's mouth: Naruto is reaching the end. I'm glad he's deciding to wrap it up, as it would've been pointless to drag it past this arc.
skafreak51

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Not to be an ass, but Viz is doing everything they can to get people to subscribe to Alpha- people are already stealing the manga, why feel the need to go ahead and give more people a reason to not subscribe?
GATSU

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:52 am Reply with quote
Didn't know they got the TinTin comics in Japan.

Quote:
After drawing manga for twelve years, I’ve learned that it affects my art. For example, if I was listening to a song with lyrics, my manga would start to reflect the sadness.

Someone should ask him if he listens to Linkin Park. Laughing

Quote:
Naruto is getting close to the climax of the series,

I figured as much, given all those 3-in-1s. But man, if Viz loses Naruto and Bleach, what'll they have next?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1