• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Final Fantasy XIII-2's Sazh DLC Trailer Streamed

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Apollo-kun

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
Final Fantasy DLC aka Square Enix's embracing of the idiotic American game industry structure where developers cut content from story-based games in order to shove it back in at a later date for more money. It'll be hilarious if they release the actual ending to this game as DLC considering that the main game had, y'know, no real ending whatsoever. Very Happy Ahh, SE, it's terrible how much faith I've lost in you within 2-3 years.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DLC can eat a dick.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:18 pm Reply with quote
Apollo-kun wrote:
Final Fantasy DLC aka Square Enix's embracing of the idiotic American game industry structure where developers cut content from story-based games in order to shove it back in at a later date for more money. It'll be hilarious if they release the actual ending to this game as DLC considering that the main game had, y'know, no real ending whatsoever. Very Happy Ahh, SE, it's terrible how much faith I've lost in you within 2-3 years.

That's kind of why I've fallen out of Western games (that and the huge shooter fad) this generation. At least these are less than 5 bucks, as opposed to the usual 10 or even 15. Though I wouldn't say this was cut content. The game came out last year, after all, and it's not like a Bioshock where people datamined and found the content on the disk, or Mass Effect where they clearly show two extra party member slots on the character select screen in the exact silhouette shape of Zaeed and Kasumi.

I rarely buy DLC so I guess this doesn't effect my wallet much. Most DLC for games I play (J-RPGS) tend to just be costumes or weird things like 'potion sets' which you can buy in-game so I find them pretty pointless (Vesperia had those.. for some reason) Japanese DLC is amusingly priced, though. I saw one for like $2.56 one time. I guess they were doing a 200 yen conversion or something.
shukero

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 10:56 pm Reply with quote
jmfsilenthill wrote:
DLC can eat a dick.

well at least they are getting DLC. I heard the ending was spoiler[up in the air :3]
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:54 am Reply with quote
I just really hate DLC in general, especially just a few weeks after release. I don't mean expansion packs (like, say the ones for Fallout or Dragon Age Awakening, which are meant to extend the life of the game with substantial content), but rather these publishers nickel & diming you for extra costumes, weapons,multiplayer maps (cough*Gears of War*cough), and characters? Bullshit. Games are already f*cking expensive enough, it should already be included with the price you paid. I already paid $80 for the special edition, and now I have to pay even more to use Sazh? (which is a shame because he was 2nd favourite character from 13) Game publishers are doing whatever they can to squeeze every damn cent from us. EA is probably the worst culprit of all for this (this is true all the more now with their 'online pass' crap), and it's sad to see Japanese publishers getting in on it too. This video by Mega64 sums up my thoughts on DLC perfectly, I think everyone should watch it (educational and hilarious Laughing ):

http://mega64.com/2012/02/17/dlc-the-game/
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:58 am Reply with quote
Some games do nickel-and-DLC ya, that's for sure, but one issue in the West but not so much in Japan, is that while games are getting more costly to develop as consoles become more powerful and players become more demanding on content/graphics/playtime, there is the unofficial cap on game price at $59.99 (barring limited editions). In Japan, AFAIK they can pretty much charge ya whatever they want. So, for some games, they don't make money just from the cap alone - they make their money from DLCs. Watch, if the cap continues on the even more powerful upcoming next-gen consoles, expect more reliance on DLCs and online play.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 3:26 am Reply with quote
I've been waiting for this card game... it's stupid that they didn't include it in the retail release.
Apollo-kun wrote:
...It'll be hilarious if they release the actual ending to this game as DLC considering that the main game had, y'know, no real ending whatsoever....

What are you talking about? The main game had an ending... The plot of the game had a beginning, middle and end. It was a full and complete story.

If you're talking about the 'to be continued' thing, then I think you're confused. Even though the game did have an ending, it went further and started another story arch just after the final boss battle. So, it did technically end, but it just started a new story that has yet to be completed.

And, no, it is not the same thing as selling the game's ending as DLC. If they did that, then we would have had to pay for the final boss battle.
Taiyz

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 5:04 am Reply with quote
R315r4z0r I want to shake your hand right now. I'm getting tired of people getting up in arms about this ending nonsense. The story has a resolution, and that's what matters.

As far as the Sazh DLC goes, I kind of wish that the industry was just a bit more transparent. Allegedly, most of the time content like this begins development just after the game goes gold, and due to pressing and certification processes, can't be put onto the disc...Whether you believe that or not is up to you, but quite frankly there's no point in not giving Square-Enix the benefit of the doubt.

As far as I'm concerned, the writers came up with a story that was just too tangential to XIII-2's main arc, but instead of cutting it, decided to deliver it to us after the game had shipped. I'm fine with giving them five bucks for a job well done...But if the content sucks, then that's another story. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:05 am Reply with quote
As much as I don't want to spend extra money for a game I already purchased, I don't mind so much buying the extra episodes and extra fights like the one with Light and Amodar. As for the outfits, I think 3 bucks each is a little much. But probably just cause they haven't released one I really like yet.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:45 pm Reply with quote
Magna_Lilly wrote:
As much as I don't want to spend extra money for a game I already purchased, I don't mind so much buying the extra episodes and extra fights like the one with Light and Amodar. As for the outfits, I think 3 bucks each is a little much. But probably just cause they haven't released one I really like yet.

Skimpy bikini outfits are the way to go

Worked for Tales and Hyperdimension Neptunia.
Magna_Lilly

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 12:34 am Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:

Skimpy bikini outfits are the way to go

Worked for Tales and Hyperdimension Neptunia.

I'm just holdin' out for shirtless Noel. Wink
*nevah gonna happen*
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:13 am Reply with quote
Anybody who says DLC is inherently bad has never seen Forza 4 DLC.

I'd pay 70 bucks for that DLC alone, it's that bitchin'. DLC can be done right, it's just not common.
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:06 am Reply with quote
I wouldn't ever get any costume DLC. I got a Serah costume for preordering the game but I never used it. It isn't worth the money to just see your character dressed a different way.

Let someone else buy it and take a picture... it has the same effect.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1