• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: CMX Confirms King of Debris, Lapis Lazuli Crown, Broken Blade

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
melonbread

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:50 am Reply with quote
Is censorship still an issue for CMX titles?
DPX

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:57 am Reply with quote
Well, given that they still haven't (and currently have no plans) to release tenten uncut... yes.

Plus, if they are willing to consistently do it for one title, it won't stop them from doing it to another one. Just something to keep in mind.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 1:07 pm Reply with quote
DPX wrote:
Plus, if they are willing to consistently do it for one title, it won't stop them from doing it to another one. Just something to keep in mind.

Wrong. The staff has seen a nearly complete turnover since the initial decision to edit TenTen was made. The reason they give for still editing if because they've already started and fear a loss of revenue were the series to suddenly jump ratings. Whatever you might think of that reason, the truth is their policy is now "no edits", and they actually went back and unedited some of their properties.
Pirkaf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 1:59 pm Reply with quote
Great. If only they printed their books on a better paper. For example, my Emma volume 1 looks like an old newspaper after several months... and other books are not much better. They're the worst publisher when it comes to printing quality..
eyesopen0791

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 2:42 pm Reply with quote
Pirkaf wrote:
Great. If only they printed their books on a better paper. For example, my Emma volume 1 looks like an old newspaper after several months... and other books are not much better. They're the worst publisher when it comes to printing quality..

I totally agree. I like some of their titles and am buying some series because of the story, but their choice to use recycled paper is so stupid in my opinion, especially when CMX uses the same competitive prices ($9.99 US) as other manga publishers in the market. Mad Why do they have to use such cheap ass paper? My copy paper at work is 100% recycled and it doesn't look as bad as theirs.
lys

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Awww. I like CMX a lot, although I agree that their product-quality could be better. I attribute it to their being a pretty small company that maybe can't afford better paper/etc? (or editors to make sure scripts are typo-free and dialogue gets put in the correct bubbles... though I think this has improved) Their series don't seem to get near the publicity or popularity of other publishers' titles (well, Viz/Tokyopop/DelRey are the big ones in my mind). But I love CMX regardless, because they take chances and publish interesting-but-not-necessarily-popular/hit series that end up being some of my very favourites.

As to censorship, I mainly read their shoujo titles, but I don't think it's an issue at all anymore (if it ever was, beyond that one title). I really like their translations—they're very readable (and from what I can tell, stay faithful to the original works).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1