• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Dentsu to Create Industry's 1st Think Tank to Study Otaku

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
It's seriously taken this long to think of this? Kinda sad...

Well not sure what the results will be but good luck to them I suppose.
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:52 pm Reply with quote
Great, I guess that means more moe loli pedo bullshit.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:02 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Great, I guess that means more moe loli pedo bullshit.
It's funny you think this is actually a problem.
StormSky92

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:24 pm Reply with quote
There's a typo where it says "think thank" instead of "think tank".
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
...it can develop and anticipate "Made-in-Japan" hits both at home and throughout the world.

lol the world. Determining the what made K-On!, Moshidora, and PMMM hits in Japan is one thing but figuring out what the rest of the world wants is going to take a lot more than some otaku bouncing assumptions off each other.
Hotaru99

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Wait.. now? I thought they'd been using things like this to make anime for years.
bs3311

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:51 pm Reply with quote
How can this help anything? though it can help with marketing for otaku's, but look at stuff lately. Anime/Manga made for otaku's are selling and keeping the industry going in japan, but one of many reasons why anime outside japan is dying because of the otaku crazed anime series that keep getting licensed by companies and will keep doing that to sustain themselves. If they did not come up for this from the top of there heads, then I'm shocked.

Don't get me wrong, I still buy and keep buying anime/manga. But when I see a series that mostly does not have to rely on the otaku crazed genre's 1-3min fan service scenes, I applaud for the creators and the license company who brought it over.

Maybe this is there reason that they are now trying to study the "Nerds down Under" due to them trying to find a divide so they can cater to different people or maybe spread to new fans. Which License companies should do to, if they are not doing it. I'm mostly surprised with Sentai Filmworks quick licensing of titles, and some deserve some applause.

Well, that is enough of that. If anyone was offended then please forgive me. If anyone has some other ideas or reasons of this. Or disagree. Then please kindly reply Anime smile.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:01 am Reply with quote
What makes a mega hit is cute girls. I don't even need to do a study to know that!
gsilver

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
Because obviously, anime didn't yet feel enough 'designed by committee'
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:15 am Reply with quote
People who have an irrational hate on otakus and hikkikomori needs to read this:

http://moesucks.com/2009/06/26/japanese-youth-discontent-and-the-hikikomori-phenomenon/

Seriously, please read this first!

On-Topic: If you can know your customers better, you can exploit them better! I doubt that the industry really cares about otakus.

Ironically, media is also a part of the problem. And yes, the problem lies also with the Japanese society, which I don't think would be something they have the power to change.
configspace

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:25 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Natsumi Iwasaki's hit business/baseball novel Moshi Kōkō Yakyū no Joshi Manager ga Drucker no "Management" o Yondara (Moshidora).

Shocked .... Now how many anticipated the book would be a big hit? Very Happy
It was interesting that the anime also included 5 min live action clips at the end of each ep dedicated to Drucker's life and background behind the story

Ermat_46 wrote:
On-Topic: If you can know your customers better, you can exploit them better! I doubt that the industry really cares about otakus.

Well duh, they aren't doing this for charity. Furthermore, every person and business wants to "exploit" their customers.

Quote:
Ironically, media is also a part of the problem. And yes, the problem lies also with the Japanese society, which I don't think would be something they have the power to change.

I don't see a problem. Also, considering the expense for the hobby (even the ability to collect cheap manga, if all you have is a measly stipend from your parents), NEETs are out of the question
Greed1914

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:14 am Reply with quote
gsilver wrote:
Because obviously, anime didn't yet feel enough 'designed by committee'

That is what I was thinking. There is already plenty of stuff out there that is purely otaku pandering, but I'm not too thrilled about a group of people getting together to come up with some magic anime formula. It just seems to be a little too overt in the lack of creativity.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:30 am Reply with quote
Quote:
According to Dentsu, the stigma attached to the label "otaku" has diminished. A Dentsu survey asked people if they are otaku, and 38% said "I think so" or "I've been called that."

If that's what they mean by otaku then this is an even bigger waste of time. It'd be like trying to find out what "nerds" like in America. The entire basis for your research rests on a term that has long since been stretched to the point of losing all meaning.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:47 am Reply with quote
No good can come for this, it's just going to lead to Dentsu producing the exact same series over and over again. You can't force a series or it's going to be a disaster.
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:51 am Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
No good can come for this, it's just going to lead to Dentsu producing the exact same series over and over again. You can't force a series or it's going to be a disaster.

Yet doing innovative stuff that is aimed at non buyers is a higher chance for financial disaster. Thats why you gotta make stuff aimed at the buying market, aka the otakus.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7