• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit Settled Between 4Kids, ADK, TV Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:00 pm Reply with quote
Keima-kun wrote:
Sometimes I find it incredible that a company that is hated by the fanbase it targets still manages to get back up on its feet each time.

They aren't hated by the fanbase they target. They target little kids and that fanbase loves them to death. The upset ones are grown adults mad that a crappy I collect stuff and fight with it show that solely exists to sell product to 5 year olds isn't packed with sex, gore, and profanity.
burnpsy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:11 pm Reply with quote
At least their contract will end by the time ZEXAL does...
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:
They aren't hated by the fanbase they target. They target little kids and that fanbase loves them to death. The upset ones are grown adults mad that a crappy I collect stuff and fight with it show that solely exists to sell product to 5 year olds isn't packed with sex, gore, and profanity.

Kids like anything though, so because little kids them doesn't amount to much. Though given their ratings, I wouldn't say a lot of little kids love them to begin with. 4Kids lose profits each year, so I don't think you can really use that excuse.

And writing off a show for being a kids show is silly, and very narrow-minded of you. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is hailed as one of the best anime out there, and that's for kids. Hell, Pocket Monsters airs right before Naruto does in Japan. All three are the same target demographic. There's no difference at all, nor should their releases be treated differently.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:31 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Kids like anything though, so because little kids them doesn't amount to much. Though given their ratings, I wouldn't say a lot of little kids love them to begin with. 4Kids lose profits each year, so I don't think you can really use that excuse.

And writing off a show for being a kids show is silly, and very narrow-minded of you. Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is hailed as one of the best anime out there, and that's for kids. Hell, Pocket Monsters airs right before Naruto does in Japan. All three are the same target demographic. There's no difference at all, nor should their releases be treated differently.

First, I think you're painting the "kids" demographic with too broad of a brush. The differences in taste between, say age 8 and age 12 can be quite large.

Second, 4Kids absolutely does not target us as a fanbase, because their target really is kids and pre-teens. The frustrating part is that they don't acknowledge the older people in the room like the Dexter's Labs and the Friendship is Magics of the world do. I even bet the powers at 4Kids know they don't have to cater to us at all because we're going to watch it, anyway.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:35 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
First, I think you're painting the "kids" demographic with too broad of a brush. The differences in taste between, say age 8 and age 12 can be quite large.

Quote:
Second, 4Kids absolutely does not target us as a fanbase, because their target really is kids and pre-teens. The frustrating part is that they don't acknowledge the older people in the room like the Dexter's Labs and the Friendship is Magics of the world do. I even bet the powers at 4Kids know they don't have to cater to us at all because we're going to watch it, anyway.

Yes, that's my point. 4Kids doesn't target 'anime fans' they target little kids. That's the main problem and why they are a bad company who lose profits each year and will hopefully go down the drain soon; or at least stop licensing anime. And I'm not sure why you used those two shows given they're token kids shows through and through and have no relation at all to these anime or situations.

And if people watch 4Kids dubs when there's fansubs easily available on the internet, that's their problem they're settling for bad Americanized dubs. That's why those fansubs exist in the first place.
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:27 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgK_-ruvULY

Hmm, ya..perfectly describes my opinion on 4kids.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:31 pm Reply with quote
I was wondering if we would ever hear anymore on this.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 10:50 pm Reply with quote
Meh. I couldn't care less about new YGO series. The show started going down hill before the original series ended, not including Season 0, though I wouldn't mind seeing that show licensed and dubbed with many of the NY voice actors. No, I'm not a big fan of 4Kids' YGO English dub, but I honestly didn't mind most of it's voice actors. I shake my head at 4Kids' situation. They could be a better company if they wanted to. They could put anime back on the map if they wanted to. They have the resources. Now that Kahn(-artist) is gone, they can make better business deals (provided the new guy is half-way decent). Now, all they care about is Yu-Gi-Oh... their current English dubs reflect the editing standards of CW's Saturday mornings. That's understandable. They still can't compare to their former Pokemon glory in both popularity and English dub quality (with some memorable voice acting and MANY things left in that they would most certainly edit now. Heck, in one episode, Misty held up a CROSS!). Hell, I bet they would kill for YGO to capture it's former popularity. Razz

It would be nice if 4Kids got a new DVD deal, and distributed many anime titles, dub them uncut, put them on DVD, and edit them for television. Though I can't think of many recent anime aside from maybe Fairy Tail that would be very marketable for the American 7-14 demographic.

What's surprising is that 4Kids has made some decent original series such as the 2003 TMNT, and I thought they did a pretty good job with their version of Winx Club. But I know they'll never be able to live down their One Piece or Mew Mew Power nightmares. Those two projects alone are sheer proof that 4Kids just plain doesn't give a crap what anime fans feel about them, at least back then. Very Happy
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:09 pm Reply with quote
Actually their Winx Club dub was awful. Not as bad as their anime stuff just for the sole reason it's still a western cartoon so it wont be as extreme in terms of content, but the voice acting and stuff was awful, and they created a ton of plot holes and changed tons of stuff around. Even changed the names despite none of them being Japanese. Weird. I only saw the first two seasons though, but I doubt they improved their act during that time.

And Fairy Tail wouldn't work for kids at all here. It'd be butchered even more than Naruto is already on Disney. From the first arc you got Lucy's clothes being torn off so she's in her underwear (and Grey and his mentor to boot) and other things.

That's ultimately the problem.. companies want to try to aim anime at kids in the US rather than anime fans, but the thing is anime just isn't really fit for kids without making it a shell of it's former self like One Piece or Pocket Monsters or Yu-Gi-Oh. Especially on Broadcast like CW-4Kids and Fox Kids where even Mr. Popo has to be recolored. But now that you have Crunchyroll and other simulcast sites, TV airings are largely obsolete and better since they don't have to be edited or dubbed for people to see them legally.
potassium

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:43 pm Reply with quote
Mr. sickVisionz wrote:

Call me a disgruntled adult who doesn't mind if the sex and profanity is edited out-- just leave the characters and their motivations in tact.
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:45 pm Reply with quote
No, no, no, you've all miss the point of how 4Kids sees cartoons; which is a 27 minute advertisement for the merchandice they can pack onto a long shelf at Toys-R-Us, and all the other toy shops out there. This was all well and good when they got it right with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. It's when they tried to deconstruct and reconstruct titles that were never targeted at kids in the first place and were never going to have merchandise to sell no matter how hard they tried, that in their naivity they blindly walked into a part of town they had no right being, telling everyone they met that only kids who don't know any better, or retarded adults watch cartoons, and got what they deserved for it. The Japanese were just as naive in their anime dealings with the outside world as well, as this highlights another example of, and it's too late to try and fix that in retrospect now.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
TsukasaElkKite

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:46 pm Reply with quote
There goes any chance we had of seeing a legal uncut DVD release. Sad
Mune

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:47 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Joe Mello wrote:

Quote:

Yes, that's my point. 4Kids doesn't target 'anime fans' they target little kids. That's the main problem and why they are a bad company who lose profits each year and will hopefully go down the drain soon; or at least stop licensing anime. And I'm not sure why you used those two shows given they're token kids shows through and through and have no relation at all to these anime or situations.

And if people watch 4Kids dubs when there's fansubs easily available on the internet, that's their problem they're settling for bad Americanized dubs. That's why those fansubs exist in the first place.

Maybe it isn't that they dub the shows, but that they actually try to sell it on VHS/DVD market. The ones that usually buy the stuff are anime fans or parents of children who watch it on television, not knowing it is anime in the first place.

Maybe if they had an alternative version more aligned with the content and language as the Japanese version, it would be more appealing to anime fans.

When it comes down to it, anime fans tend to be more willing to part with money for the products than the parents of viewers.
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:48 pm Reply with quote
I had no problem with their version of Winx Club. Though it helps that I never heard ANYTHING about the international version until recently. Since it wasn't anime, only the fan base really discussed it's differences. I don't mind Nick's version, but I do miss the voice talents of Liza Jacqueline and Lisa Ortiz. I watched some of the "RAI" English version (created in Canada for international markets), and I thought the dialogue was incredibly bland. Yeah, 4Kids did go over the top at times, but it was MUCH more fun and entertaining to watch than the other English version. Though I admit that Nick's version is a nice balance between the two.

Fairy Tail would definitely need some editing, but really, aside from the fan service, violence, minor language, and some suggestive situations, it wouldn't need any more editing than DBZ Kai. I would want it to end up on a more looser network. Any anime on the CW tends to get some incredibly unnecessary edits (*cough*DBZKAI*cough*).

I thought DBZ got away fine on TV with only minor TV edits (aside from the original dub of Seasons 1-2, but that was a collaboration with Saban, who also has a notorious reputation), same for just about any Toonami series, including the original Naruto. Right now, DBZ Kai, DBGT reruns, and DBZ movies are getting only minor edits on Nicktoons (the Toonzai broadcast is an extreme example since it's on Saturday mornings on network TV, and at the hands/mercy of 4Kids). I have no problem with anime being lightly edited for TV, as long as it's only done when necessary, and that an uncut version is available on home video. Heck, Pokemon, with a few exceptions, has never received overt editing, certainly not on the scale of the 4Kids One Piece. Bulbapedia lists most the edits to the series on each episode's page. Out of every ten episodes, maybe one had anything cut. Nowadays, the episodes are almost completely unedited (although the voice acting is incredibly awful, and it's getting worse by the season...). Pokemon and Naruto are apples and oranges when it comes to editing. Pokemon has VERY little violence, and Naruto has quite a bit of it. Speaking of One Piece, don't forget about the FUNimation dub of the Skypea arc being shown on Toonami with very little editing.

Rule of thumb: don't think that 4Kids' editing is necessary, because editing on that level, especially for cable, is unneeded, as seen with many titles. 4Kids is notorious for it's totally unnecessary editing.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:37 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
No, no, no, you've all miss the point of how 4Kids sees cartoons; which is a 27 minute advertisement for the merchandice they can pack onto a long shelf at Toys-R-Us, and all the other toy shops out there. This was all well and good when they got it right with Pokemon and Yu-Gi-Oh. It's when they tried to deconstruct and reconstruct titles that were never targeted at kids in the first place and were never going to have merchandise to sell no matter how hard they tried, that in their naivity they blindly walked into a part of town they had no right being, telling everyone they met that only kids who don't know any better, or retarded adults watch cartoons, and got what they deserved for it.

They never picked up a show that wasn't for kids though, so I'm not sure what you're talking about. Keep in mind what's acceptable for kids is different in Japan and America. You can have blatant pedophiles and rape scenes in the original versions of Pocket Monsters and Yu-Gi-Oh Duel Monsters respectively, but they're still kids shows in Japan.

That's ultimately the problem though. The original Japanese companies do actually care about kids shows and view them as more than just toy commercials; they're anime through and through and are treated as such... 4Kids does not, so in their eyes editing down character motivations and throwing out story isn't a big deal to them.

Mune wrote:
Maybe if they had an alternative version more aligned with the content and language as the Japanese version, it would be more appealing to anime fans.

When it comes down to it, anime fans tend to be more willing to part with money for the products than the parents of viewers.

The funny thing about Yu-Gi-Oh is the card game is aimed at teenagers and adults in Japan. Or at least the booster packs have 13+ labeled on them, and most people who play in the tournaments are in their late teens and early 20s. It's already surpassed Magic in popularity, so the reason for needlessly censoring it and marketing it for little kids eludes me. I think teenagers can handle a bit more than that stuff.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I had no problem with their version of Winx Club. Though it helps that I never heard ANYTHING about the international version until recently. Since it wasn't anime, only the fan base really complained about it. I don't mind Nick's version, but I do miss the voice talents of Liza Jacqueline and Lisa Ortiz. I watched some of the "RAI" English version (created in Canada for international markets), and I thought the dialogue was incredibly bland. Yeah, 4Kids did go over the top at times, but it was MUCH more fun and entertaining to watch than the other English version. Though I admit that Nick's version is a nice balance between the two.

Eh, never watched the RAI English ones, but if it's anything like those "not-American-English" dubs some anime get in the Phillipines, it's probably just as bad.

Quote:
Pokemon, with a few exceptions, has never received overt editing, certainly not on the scale of the 4Kids One Piece. Bulbapedia lists most the edits to the series on each episode's page. Out of every ten episodes, maybe one had anything cut. Nowadays, the episodes are almost completely unedited (although the voice acting is incredibly awful, and it's getting worse by the season...). Pokemon and Naruto are apples and oranges when it comes to editing. Pokemon has VERY little violence, and Naruto has quite a bit of it. Speaking of One Piece, don't forget about the FUNimation dub of the Skypea arc being shown on Toonami with very little editing.

Bulbapedia is not a very good site to use for edits, though. Or really any 'wiki' type of site that relies on user content. Just looking at it, they don't list virtually anything. From personal experience, I can tell you if I listed everything changed in the Pocket Monsters dub, I'd pretty much be transcribing the whole episode out. And that's just for the script, and not taking into account the music, the actual edited scenes, digital paint being used, and so forth. It's a lot of work.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7