• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yu-Gi-Oh! Lawsuit Settled Between 4Kids, ADK, TV Tokyo

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I know Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world. I just find it ironically funny how Japan is WAY more conservative and traditional than the US, yet Japan is so loose with what they can show.

That's mainly because they didn't have a religion choking them constantly.

We in the west tend to associate conservatism with censoring of "obscene" things but that's only because we're used to the religious conservative movements.

I absolutely agree that there are extremely conservative people here in the US. However, even I think that American society overall is less conservative than Japanese society. Also religion does play a huge role in Japanese society. Just look at Shintoism.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Funny thing, Japan's attitude towards other races generally stems from what they see in foreign media. Since there's about 5 black people living in Japan, a lot of their exposure to black people is from American movies and shows. After-all, when like 95%+ of a country is one nationality/ethnicity, it's hard to hold them at fault for not getting a certain race down, or blame them like "Why aren't there more black people in anime!" I see. Heck, America can't even do either of those very well despite being a 'melting pot' community. Xenophobia works a bit differently in those two situations; one country knows better but chooses not to, and the other one doesn't know better so they can't even if they wanted to. So which is really the worse of the two?
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:27 am Reply with quote
Primus wrote:
enurtsol wrote:
That's WB and Nelvana, not Pioneer. WB wanted a boy-show, so Nelvana accommodated them. IIRC, Nelvana kept the show girl-centric in Canada.

Yes, the version of Cardcaptors that aired in the US is an extremely truncated edit of Nelvana's existing dub. The real dub aired in Canada, and a bunch of European countries and had considerably less edits, and actually fully dubbed the show.

Supposedly the same is happening once again with Beyblade Metal Masters. I've been told CN in the US, and abroad are getting edited versions compared to what's airing in Canada...

Which is one of many reasons why to the hardcore anime otaku community, their the second worst dubbing company ever. Of course 1st goes to 4 crap kids hands down. But this here is proof their no better.

The new Beyblade series and Bakguan would have probably done more, even got an official sub version if it was licensed by Viz Media instead since they did wonders with MAR,Blue Dragon , Prince of Tennis & Zatch Bell.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:57 am Reply with quote
kaiser11492 wrote:
Chagen46 wrote:
Quote:
I know Japan is one of the most xenophobic countries in the world. I just find it ironically funny how Japan is WAY more conservative and traditional than the US, yet Japan is so loose with what they can show.

That's mainly because they didn't have a religion choking them constantly.

We in the west tend to associate conservatism with censoring of "obscene" things but that's only because we're used to the religious conservative movements.

I absolutely agree that there are extremely conservative people here in the US. However, even I think that American society overall is less conservative than Japanese society. Also religion does play a huge role in Japanese society. Just look at Shintoism.

In Japan, shintoism seems less a religion and more like a lifestyle. Same with Buddhism there. So even though about 80% of Japanese practice those, they're actually not that religious country.

Still, in relative terms, U.S. is now a better place for immigrants than Japan. And the U.S. is still continuously improving; Japan not as much, how ever the circumstances. They've already had over a century of experience with Zainichi Koreans, for instance.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:17 pm Reply with quote
The thing that baffles me is that extremely xenophobic, conservative Japan has no problem with so called "mature" themes/topics, yet the US, which is practically a "hippie" when compared to conservative Japan, has problems with it. basically saying that if the hard liners had no problem, then the loose minded people should have nothing to complain about.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:46 pm Reply with quote
kaiser11492, why do you even care so much about what one company does? Forget for one moment about whether you love or hate 4Kids, forget whether as a company they make good business or not. That's not what's even bugging the crap out of me at this point. What's bugging the crap out of me is that you make it sound like 4Kids took away some kind of civil right from you and made you and other anime fans suffer by beating you and mistreating or something. And you feel so angry at them that you and the same few people hijack every single freaking thread that could even remotely have anything to do with 4Kids, finding ways to march at 4Kids like some kind of army and eradicate them once and for all. Seriously, what is your deal?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:35 pm Reply with quote
Well, I assume he's tired of seeing shows he likes get hacked up and whitewashed with no real uncut release available. That's generally why anime fans dislike 4Kids.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:32 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Well, I assume he's tired of seeing shows he likes get hacked up and whitewashed with no real uncut release available.

Watch a fansub if you need to. I don't care anymore if some people can't even hold those uncut releases with their hans in the form of a disc inside a case. There's an uncut alternative on the internet, it exists, take that one and shut up. Enough with the "baby wants his bottle in exact size and milk temperature or else he'll declare war on you", nonsense.
Chagen46

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
TitanXL wrote:
Funny thing, Japan's attitude towards other races generally stems from what they see in foreign media. Since there's about 5 black people living in Japan, a lot of their exposure to black people is from American movies and shows. After-all, when like 95%+ of a country is one nationality/ethnicity, it's hard to hold them at fault for not getting a certain race down, or blame them like "Why aren't there more black people in anime!" I see. Heck, America can't even do either of those very well despite being a 'melting pot' community. Xenophobia works a bit differently in those two situations; one country knows better but chooses not to, and the other one doesn't know better so they can't even if they wanted to. So which is really the worse of the two?

"Japan can be racist because they're don't have that many foriegners in their country!"

:/

Titan, I know you love Japan way too much and all and excuse every single thing they do no matter what but this is getting ridiculous.
kaiser11492

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:52 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
TitanXL wrote:
Well, I assume he's tired of seeing shows he likes get hacked up and whitewashed with no real uncut release available.

Watch a fansub if you need to. I don't care anymore if some people can't even hold those uncut releases with their hans in the form of a disc inside a case. There's an uncut alternative on the internet, it exists, take that one and shut up. Enough with the "baby wants his bottle in exact size and milk temperature or else he'll declare war on you", nonsense.

I actually do watch the fansub version of Yu-Gi-Oh!. But I do that because the dubbed version is unbearable to watch. I don't mind fansubs and i have nothing against them, but when I want to watch a tv show, i usually want to watch it, not read it. whenever i am watching something subtitled, i feel i am loosing some of the experience of watching the show because part of my attention is being focused on the subtitles, instead of the show itself.

also, does the average person be attracted to subtitles, or will they try to avoid them? based on what i have observed, most people tend to avoid movies/shows with subtitles. this gets my attention because if the average person wants to go to dub over sub, then that means that person is only going to be exposed to 4kids' butchered version. that could potentially give them the idea that anime is for little children, which is a big misconception. basically all i am saying is that 4kids and its dubs are not promoting anime properly.

TitanXL wrote:
Well, I assume he's tired of seeing shows he likes get hacked up and whitewashed with no real uncut release available. That's generally why anime fans dislike 4Kids.

If 4kids gave me an option of edited dub or unedited dub, then i wouldn't really care about any edits they make. For example, my favorite anime is Code Geass. However, even that show had to be edited when aired on tv (for various things regarding a few scenes of nudity, time constraints, etc.). But they released it unedited, thereby giving me a choice. What I at least want from 4kids is to have a choice between edited dub and unedited dub (and i mean a properly unedited dub). I believe people should have the right to make choices according to their own free will. But 4kids is refusing to do so, and it looks like they aren't planning to do so in the near future
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7