• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Little Help From My Friends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chagen46

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:49 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

So is this why we often see the same old VA's at some cons? Cause the panels they run are at least a paycheck?

I don't know any voice actors who are paid to be at cons. The most they get is transportation, a room and food. Plus lots of fun, never underestimate fun, also interaction with fans.

An unfortunate reality is many (most?) anime voice actors now charge "appearance fees" to appear at anime conventions, often noted as "because they could be working".

What's unfortunate about it? If I was a voice actor, I'd sure as hell demand compensation for going to a con (especially if it was halfway across the country or something.
shukero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 5:52 pm Reply with quote
HeeroTX wrote:
Gilles Poitras wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:

So is this why we often see the same old VA's at some cons? Cause the panels they run are at least a paycheck?

I don't know any voice actors who are paid to be at cons. The most they get is transportation, a room and food. Plus lots of fun, never underestimate fun, also interaction with fans.

An unfortunate reality is many (most?) anime voice actors now charge "appearance fees" to appear at anime conventions, often noted as "because they could be working".

Why would you add "unfortunately" to that reply though? This too is part of their work. besides being a voice actor(ress) they also have public appearances to keep up with. With those appearances come work, Q & A's etc, etc. Why wouldn't they get paid for work? They too need to put food on the table. I don't really find it that bad if they ask for a bit of money. (Unless it's something outrageous like $10,000)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:07 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Why wouldn't they get paid for work? They too need to put food on the table. I don't really find it that bad if they ask for a bit of money. (Unless it's something outrageous like $10,000)

And that's why HeeroTX used the word "unfortunate".

Not all of the actors request a large amount of $ for an appearance fee. Some of my favorites ask for nothing more than travel and lodging costs along with meals and incidentals. A few of them request that an appearance fee be paid in the form of a donation made to a local charity (one that I am aware of actually matches the dollar value with a donation of their own).

Some do not, and request a high dollar amount for an appearance fee. I believe that is to whom HeeroTX was referring.

Personally, I haven't walked a mile in the shoes where the term "appearance fee" is part of the job. Therfore I can't begrudge anyone who does, but I can tip my cap to those who ask for nothing aside from covering their personal and travel costs or have the fee donated to charity.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:44 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Some do not, and request a high dollar amount for an appearance fee. I believe that is to whom HeeroTX was referring.

Cite names. NOW.
shukero

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:47 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
shukero wrote:
Why wouldn't they get paid for work? They too need to put food on the table. I don't really find it that bad if they ask for a bit of money. (Unless it's something outrageous like $10,000)

And that's why HeeroTX used the word "unfortunate".

Not all of the actors request a large amount of $ for an appearance fee. Some of my favorites ask for nothing more than travel and lodging costs along with meals and incidentals. A few of them request that an appearance fee be paid in the form of a donation made to a local charity (one that I am aware of actually matches the dollar value with a donation of their own).

Personally, I haven't walked a mile in the shoes where the term "appearance fee" is part of the job. Therfore I can't begrudge anyone who does, but I can tip my cap to those who ask for nothing aside from covering their personal and travel costs or have the fee donated to charity.

I can see where you are both coming from; and I see where the V.A.'s that don't ask for money are great. Is there however a V.A. that has asked for a considerable amount of money like what I've posted above? If that is the case I can see why he used unfortunate; but otherwise that is why I said what I stated above; since this is part of their "job" too. No use in not getting paid for jobs Razz
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:57 pm Reply with quote
[quote="shukero"]
Yoda117 wrote:
I can see where you are both coming from; and I see where the V.A.'s that don't ask for money are great. Is there however a V.A. that has asked for a considerable amount of money like what I've posted above? If that is the case I can see why he used unfortunate; but otherwise that is why I said what I stated above; since this is part of their "job" too. No use in not getting paid for jobs Razz

I couldn't agree more.

As for the request, I'm going to have to tell you that Google is your friend. There's a lot of good discussion about this on the animecons Yahoo group and Animecons.org.

Unless HeeroTX is willing to provide some info to the door he opened, that's the only way you're going to get anything.

If you do some research, you quickly realize that the majority of the VAs out there don't ask for much (if anything). It's a phrase that I hear a lot, and it's true "they do it because they love anime and the fans."

Good enough for me. If they get a few bucks out of it...well, considering all they give to us, I'm good with that. Job or not, the anime voice actors are some of the most selfless people I've had the pleasure to meet on the con circuit.
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:00 pm Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
It's a phrase that I hear a lot, and it's true "they do it because they love anime and the fans."

Passionately, or just to get some free ass?
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:38 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:

False dichotomy. Some are passionate about free ass.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:
It's a phrase that I hear a lot, and it's true "they do it because they love anime and the fans."

the anime, or the fans?

/disturbing mental image there...
//you figure out which one
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:16 am Reply with quote
Yoda117 wrote:
Sunday Silence wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:

the anime, or the fans?

/disturbing mental image there...
//you figure out which one

well you gotta work you gotta work...dammit my morals are gone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:32 am Reply with quote
There ain't nothing wrong with trying to get some hot cosplayer ass.

As long as said ass is legal, of course...
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:47 am Reply with quote
Chagen46 wrote:
There ain't nothing wrong with trying to get some hot cosplayer ass.

As long as said ass is legal, of course...

Aren't most con goers under the age?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:21 am Reply with quote
Yeah, but that makes the rare barely-legal 18-20 year-old even hotter.
Animerican14

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:39 am Reply with quote
Erm. (looks at above) Didn't think I'd see this in a thread for Answerman... anyway, moving along, a bit.:
Quote:
The current standard rate for anime dubbing in Los Angeles is $64.25 an hour with a 2 hour minimum (which is nice, because even if your session is 5 minutes, you still get paid for two hours). There is a concerted effort to raise that to $75 an hour/2 hour minimum.

Dang, that's pretty rough. So, considering how few lines Tomohisa Kaname got in Madoka Magica, I guess Kyle Hebert did the role all in one go and got about $128.50, huh? Wonder how many times more Japanese seiyuu earn in this industry, even when they act for such a similarly small role...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sunday Silence

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:55 am Reply with quote
Animerican14 wrote:
Erm. (looks at above) Didn't think I'd see this in a thread for Answerman...

It's not like the subject of VA's and their shenanigans hasn't graced the column before.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3