• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! - A Little Help From My Friends

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tamaria

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:05 am Reply with quote
Sunday Silence wrote:
Yoda117 wrote:
Some do not, and request a high dollar amount for an appearance fee. I believe that is to whom HeeroTX was referring.

Cite names. NOW.

If I recal correctly, Vic Mignogna charges $1500 a day or so. Atleast, that's what I heard back in 2008 from some people associated with a Dutch animeconvention... Multiple people from different conventions, actually. It was estimated it would cost nearly €7000 to have him over for the weekend. €3000 in fees, €4000 to make sure arrangements (including his flight, hotel room) were up to his standards.

One of his Dutch fans asked him if he was going to make an appearance at a Dutch convention. He didn't have any plans, but he was interested in visiting an European convention. She pointed him to some of our conventions and he contacted two or three on his own.

All conventions answered the same: our budget is limited. We'd love to have you over, but all we can afford to cover are your lodging costs.

That was nearly four years ago. Vic has yet to be seen at a Dutch convention.

(Not that he'd make a good guest there. Most Dutch fans couldn't care less about American dubs.)
smilewolfy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 9:48 am Reply with quote
wow, this answers a lot that I wanted to know about voice acting. I guess it would be wise to have something else as a major in life, and don't rely on voice acting...

hopefully the internet thing "voices.com" he mentioned will work, since I'm in Australia and all anime dubbing is done in America pretty much >_>
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:24 pm Reply with quote
shukero wrote:
Why would you add "unfortunately" to that reply though? This too is part of their work. besides being a voice actor(ress) they also have public appearances to keep up with. With those appearances come work, Q & A's etc, etc. Why wouldn't they get paid for work? They too need to put food on the table. I don't really find it that bad if they ask for a bit of money. (Unless it's something outrageous like $10,000)

Ten years ago, anime voice actors went to cons to (as Gilles Poitras said) "have fun" and meet FANS. It is NOW work. To see the distinction between the two, ask Zac or others on this site about being paid to write reviews or try getting a job as a video game tester. There is a huge difference between what you do for fun and what you do for WORK, even if those two things are (or were) the same things. You know who else "needs to put food on the table"? Convention staff, but they do it because they want to support the material/fandom. You can easily reply, "yeah, but for the actors it IS a job", and I just reply that that is unfortunate. (not saying it isn't TRUE, just that it's unfortunate)

I know JAPANESE anime professionals that have made time in RIDICULOUSLY busy schedules in order to meet American anime fans with no payment in return. That's why I say it's unfortunate that American anime pros are getting less accessible. (I do want to note that there is a huge number of events now and it's stupid to think for a moment that US anime pros can or should do them all or even most)

As far as naming names, that's not going to happen for the same reason Anime Companies won't tell you what they pay for licensing fees. But yes, you can google to get an idea of what's going on, there IS info out there.
Yoda117

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:56 pm Reply with quote
smilewolfy wrote:
wow, this answers a lot that I wanted to know about voice acting. I guess it would be wise to have something else as a major in life, and don't rely on voice acting...

Definitely, and frankly those extra things in life which you learn can very much help you with voice over (some have made a career out of using their knowledge in different fields to carve themselves into a nice market).

Quote:
hopefully the internet thing "voices.com" he mentioned will work, since I'm in Australia and all anime dubbing is done in America pretty much >_>

Much like Voices123, it's a cattle call. Far more so that IRL, and the rates often reflect that. Voices.com is the more reputable of the two IMO and has the better track record.

As for animation, there is more than a bit in the AU/NZ area (isn't Cloud 9 presently casting for a new series? I saw their "scratch tracks" a few weeks back), and there are a few ADR studios (dubbing live action) in the Austrailasia region. A few in AU, not many in NZ, and several (which kind of surprised me) in Singapore. At least the last time I went through that part of the world...

Not to be rude to anyone (Kyle gave some great info, but only has so much space to provide info), but if you want to know more about voice acting, chat with someone who is known to branch multiple mediums (most voice actors have to in order to make ends meet). Guys like Pat Fraley, Bob Bergen, Richard Horvitz, Rob Paulsen, Kara Edwards, June Foray, Tara Strong, Keith David, Dave Fennoy, and Melissa Disney are all awesome examples of that. Most of them have websites, pretty much every one of them are known to take their time providing insight to the industry. Kyle is also a decent example of this, as is pretty much anyone who is a working voice actor (it's rare to find someone who only does one type of voice over; the Don LaFontaines of the world are the exception, not the rule).

(if you're more into promo work, a few of these folks are well-known for it, but also toss Joe Cipriano and Beau Weaver onto the list).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3