• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Pac-Man Gets U.S. 3D CG Animated Show on Disney XD

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
peachsncreamsoda

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Wow... You can pretty much have a show about anything huh. Can not even imagine what the plot or anything like that will be...

lol, oh man, no matter how hard I try it just seems so lame to me. I mean, maybe i'm being ridiculous, or maybe I just don't get it or I simply need to see more of this, or the actual product before anything else... But god, i'm just not seeing it.
Because I know for a fact that as a kid, this definitely wouldn't have appealed to me. And I used to watch quite alot of Disney stuff growing up.
(Along with other stuff too, but, thats not really the point.)

And man, that seems like alot of money for something that sounds so, I dunno... It seems like alot of money for anything animated like that if I was being honest.
But then again i'm not really one to understand that kinda thing anyways. So I won't comment too much on it.
Its for that sake only that I hope this doesn't fail.
Other than that, I could really care less about it.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:02 am Reply with quote
But...he already had a TV show back in the 80s. Before I was even alive. And when he was still relevant. Why now?

Are they trying to pull another My Little Pony on this one?
Chagen46

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:10 am Reply with quote
They can't be trying to pull a My Little Pony with this one, you need someone with Faust's skill-level to pull that tall order off.
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 am Reply with quote
Pac-Man...um, what?
Shocked

Okay, raise your hand with me if you didn't see this one coming...
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:43 am Reply with quote
I saw this coming. Because for the past year or so, some 3DTV displays at Best Buy (and possibly other stores) have shown a 3D short that seems like nothing more than a pitch for this show. It has Pac-man and a bunch of original characters in a futuristic city. There is no doubt in my mind that's exactly what it was, a pitch pilot.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:54 am Reply with quote
I actually watched the original cartoon adaptation (which came out at a time when cartoon adaptations of popular video games were fairly common) back in the day, and I vaguely recall it being pretty stupid even by Saturday morning cartoon standards. I can't imagine what kind of material they'll find for that many 26-minute episodes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mawdryn

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:15 am Reply with quote
Otaku_X wrote:
I saw this coming. Because for the past year or so, some 3DTV displays at Best Buy (and possibly other stores) have shown a 3D short that seems like nothing more than a pitch for this show. It has Pac-man and a bunch of original characters in a futuristic city. There is no doubt in my mind that's exactly what it was, a pitch pilot.

Or it could just have been a demo presentation for 3DTVs at Best Buy.
Keima-kun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 11:44 am Reply with quote
I originally thought that the X.D in the title was a face that was ANN laughing at the stupidity of Disney.
chrisb
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 12:16 pm Reply with quote
The staff seems pretty good. The writer really worked wonders with the new Scooby Doo by making it much darker and dramatic. I hope they don't take that route with Pac-Man, but I trust they will do a good job. Anyone who worked on Animaniacs is also ok in my book.
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:03 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
Pac-Man...um, what?
Shocked

Okay, raise your hand with me if you didn't see this one coming...

*Raises Hand* Like, Pac-Man isn't even that popular anymore... Trying to get more fans...? But I can't believe this. Well, hopefully it won't turn into another Legend of Zelda animation bonanza. "Excuuuuuuuuse me, princess!"

But it might be cool if it were an adaption of the SNES game. That was a cool game.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:05 pm Reply with quote
Did you know that the original name for Pac-Man was Puck-Man? You'd think it was because he looks like a hockey puck but it actually comes from the Japanese phrase 'Paku-Paku,' which means to flap one's mouth open and closed. They changed it because they thought Puck-Man would be too easy to vandalize, you know, like people could just scratch off the P and turn it into an F or whatever.

[/Scott Pilgrim]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Otaku_X

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:34 pm Reply with quote
Mawdryn wrote:
Otaku_X wrote:

Or it could just have been a demo presentation for 3DTVs at Best Buy.

Possibly, but it seems kinda like a random thing for a 3D demo. Seems like it was probably a "2 birds, 1 stone" kinda thing. Produce this pitch pilot and use it for demos so if it doesn't go anywhere, they at least get some use out of it.
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:39 pm Reply with quote
I'm not face-palming because they're making a Pac-Man TV cartoon.

I'm face-palming because they've now made two Pac-Man cartoons.

prime_pm wrote:
Are they trying to pull another My Little Pony on this one?

Because My Little Pony invented the concept of reboots apparently.
OldCharlieStoletheHandle

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:56 pm Reply with quote
What's next, Pong: The Anime?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:58 pm Reply with quote
OldCharlieStoletheHandle wrote:
What's next, Pong: The Anime?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/01/24/
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3