• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Familiar of Zero F Episodes 1-6 Streaming

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:08 am Reply with quote
hmm that sums up some problems i have had with zntf. While rushing out the be the last season for the show and having to do 6-10 volumes of source material it's going to pander a bit that is just what j.c. staff does. I will openly admit this if I did not watch this series when it first started in 06 then I would not even bother with series now. I actually love all the characters, Tabatha being the clone of rei she is still a unique character with a great past.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vinamara

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
The last paragraph pretty much sums up perfectly why I and everyone else watches the series.

The romance between Saito and Louise is indeed unique in the way that they unabashedly declare it without a care.

That and lots of good quality fanservice. This is a really good template for the harem genre.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:01 am Reply with quote
This anime was listed as one of the top 10 most boring animes to watch this season (ranked @ #10) in a recent online poll. I think one of the reason is the rushed arc as described in the review but also the fact that people got sick of watching it after 3 full seasons (some probably not even remembering squat from the previous seasons)

The one good point of this final season seems to be the music imo as I noticed the soundtrack does improve quite a bit. Other than that, the story is kinda predictable by now and with the first arc being merely 3 episodes, I don't see this anime being close to my top 10 for this year @ all.

As for the characters, I do find them interesting especially with the recent new ones introduced. Hope the series will execute them correctly rather than adding them to Saito's harem. (well some of the new characters are guys so LOL). I do admit that the animation and art retains its superiority though.

*sigh* maybe they can wrap up this entire series with a movie after it finishes streaming so we can end this anime in a better way. (hopefully)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
RyanSaotome

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:12 am Reply with quote
the second is the full-on harem romp that we never wanted the series to be.

I'm sorry, I went into it wanting a harem. The story has been lame in all 4 seasons, but its one of the better harems out there.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:32 am Reply with quote
RyanSaotome wrote:
the second is the full-on harem romp that we never wanted the series to be.

I'm sorry, I went into it wanting a harem. The story has been lame in all 4 seasons, but its one of the better harems out there.

Znt was never a harem in the first place, j.c. just adapted and made into one for sales.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AP24

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:44 am Reply with quote
No, Zero no Tsukaima is a harem series in both the light novels and anime. The light novels also show the girls falling for Saito.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
J.C. staff still proving they suck at adapting light novels. the light novels are not that much of a harrem, however the anime sure to tries to shoehorn it in there.
I agree with this review. especially the last paragraph. though to be fair I think that saito actually has earned (I can't believed I am using that verb in this context). all the members of his harrem. He saved tabitha from multiple MAJOR problems and something important to her. they actually have made it clear queen henerita wants to live louises life, and sees saito as the only available guy to her. he saved sesita from being a counts number interest. he brought tefia into society and she saved his life, he is also spoiler[ her familiar].
I really hated a lot of the harremy stuff, the reason I love/loved seasons 1-3 was that it rose above that stuff or atleast kept it to a tolorable level, also louis x saito. the show has always been the show that was far better then it had a right to be, in my opinion and the first 6 episodes did not have that same effect for a lot of the time of episodes 1-6. thank the lord it comes back with the second half of episode 7 and episode 8 because everyone should THANK THE LORD for the elves, because they are saving this season, I hope.
neocloud9

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:35 am Reply with quote
Can't argue with any of this. I'm a huge Zero fan, but even I've been getting frustrated lately. I love Saito and Louise's relationship, I think they're adorable. And I didn't mind a couple romantic rivals. Siesta and Henrietta in particular I found interesting and at least somewhat believable. But when we got both Tabitha and Tiffania mooning over Saito too, I couldn't help but be like: "Really?" Ugh.

Still, we're so close to the ending, I'm certainly not going to drop it now. As long as we get a satisfying conclusion with Saito and Louise's relationship, I'll let the mind-numbing harem hijinks slide.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 8:52 am Reply with quote
Personally I think Louise and Saito have a terrible relationship. Time and time again Louise has proved to be an awful person who takes her tsundere fueled abuse way too far. If a guy was treating a girl that way everyone would hate him but since it's Louise it's cute and funny? Bleh.

Saito has so many better girls to choose from and it baffles me as to why he picked the girl who treats him the worst. Even if she mends her ways the damage has already been done in my eyes.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:25 am Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
Saito has so many better girls to choose from and it baffles me as to why he picked the girl who treats him the worst.

Likely chivalry, combined with the initial premise of the series.

I've had no real compunction to follow this series after S1. I mean, I liked S1 and thought the world and its inhabitants were interesting enough, but I feared that all that made it interesting would give way for standard harem tropes. It sounds like it certainly went that way now.
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:54 am Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
Likely chivalry, combined with the initial premise of the series.

There was magical enslavement as well in the light novels, IIRC. The spell Louise used to bind him as a familiar also suppressed his ability to consider and truly think about losing his home, so when it was lifted, he was initially quite pissed (but still in love with Louise).

The whole relationship is pretty morally dubious when you think about it, considering that it involved Louise tearing him away from home and magically enslaving him into her man-servant. It's best not to think about it seriously.
Sir Amyas Leigh

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Vaisaga wrote:
If a guy was treating a girl that way everyone would hate him but since it's Louise it's cute and funny? Bleh..

Not so much cute and funny as it is fetish material. Some guys just really, really want to be beaten with a riding crop by a raging tsundere. Anime catgrin
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:36 pm Reply with quote
AP24 wrote:
No, Zero no Tsukaima is a harem series in both the light novels and anime. The light novels also show the girls falling for Saito.

That's not really how a harem works, a girl character can love a mc all she wants but the feelings need to be mutual as well. That is just romance/comdey IMO

I will also have to agree with another poster here the elves are bringing something to the table that can be rather interesting. It has been a long time since there was any serious series with elves so maybe J.C. Staff will not disappoint... then again who knows.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:42 pm Reply with quote
While, ZnT F is so, so, so much better than the absolutely garbage third season, I do agree with this review for the most part. It is most certainly rushed in the first arc (though when spoiler[Saito just pulls the pistol and shoots Sheffield] I just couldn't help but laugh).

That said, I'm not sure I agree with the second part being full harem. But I don't really remember where episode 6 ends at. But soon after the harem-filled spoiler[Saito-becomes-a-lord] mini-arc, we get to see the elves and that starts yet another (due to pacing) mini-arc that was pretty decent.

As someone who thought the first season was average and the second season was amazing at times, I'm satisfied with ZnT F, so long as it brings the story to a 'final' conclusion.
Vaisaga

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:14 pm Reply with quote
I seem to be the only one who hated the 2nd season and liked the 3rd more Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2