• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Ghibli's N. American Arrietty BD to Have U.S. & U.K. Dubs

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:51 pm Reply with quote
If Disney's blu-ray release will include the UK dub, I wonder if it'll have the same issues as the UK dub on the Bandai release of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. Hopefully not. And no special features? I thought that was a one-time treatment they were giving Tales from Earthsea specifically, which was a bummer for me (that and all those Disney trailers that didn't fit with this movie).

If I don't hear anything about Disney acquiring Poppy Hill before June, I just may feel tempted to import the Blu-Ray. There being English subs always helps, of course.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:08 pm Reply with quote
So I guess I'll have to watch it twice and pick which one is better to show my Nana and Mom, ( my mom's never seen a studio ghibli film in her life but is a big fan of the Borrowers and I'm in the process of converting my Nana into a fan.) Which ever is better is the one I shall pick ( and I have a feeling it's going to be the U.S version. Very Happy
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:09 pm Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
What region is that BD?

I'm pretty sure thats short for Blueray Disk. Very Happy
PurpleWarrior13

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm not surprised the Japanese Blu-ray will include both English dubs. While I have my doubts the American BRD will, I'm hopeful that it will. It would be interesting to listen and compare both (speaking of which, I REALLY hope the upcoming Discotek release of Space Adventure Cobra will have both the US and UK dubs).
GhostShell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Colour me surprised. Wasn't expecting the N.A. release to have both the U.K. and U.S. dubs, seeing that it was a Disney release. Once the information was presented that it was Japan's N.A. release, it all made more sense.

PurpleWarrior13 wrote:
I'm not surprised the Japanese Blu-ray will include both English dubs. While I have my doubts the American BRD will, I'm hopeful that it will.

Ditto. I suspect Disney will release their version strictly with their U.S. dub, but include more extras. I'm still leaning towards importing the BD from the U.K., but I'll wait to see what will be included in Disney's release before I make my final decision.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:46 pm Reply with quote
Of course I hear this news after I just bought the UK release a week ago. Oh well, I guess I'll buy this too.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:59 pm Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
Good news, but it's funny that the US Blu-ray reportedly has no extras. The UK Blu-ray released in January (under the title 'Arrietty') by StudioCanal featured a 40-minute interview with Yonebayashi and a 23-minute interview with Miyazaki. The U.K. Blu-ray only had the British version of the dub, of course (and the original Japanese).

Just as a point of interest, there's an unexplained second UK BD for Arrietty due for release at the end of the month:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0078K45M4 (March)
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B005A50V0O (January)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:11 am Reply with quote
andy: Hope that doesn't mean they're gonna make us double-dip. Not surprised we we don't get extras, though, since Ghibli fans aren't the target audience.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:19 am Reply with quote
Lann wrote:
By default the British dub is the correct choice, even if its set in Japan and it doesn't really matter which one you choose, but its such a good dub it shouldn't be ignored, and Disney realize this. They didn't have to include it, they could have been stubborn and forced America to watch a dub even they knew was inferior.

Hahaha....... lolwut? Laughing

GhostShell wrote:
Colour me surprised. Wasn't expecting the N.A. release to have both the U.K. and U.S. dubs, seeing that it was a Disney release. Once the information was presented that it was Japan's N.A. release, it all made more sense.

So, the Disney release in Japan of the North American edition will include the non-Disney British dub from Europe............ Laughing
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:26 am Reply with quote
pachy_boy wrote:
If Disney's blu-ray release will include the UK dub, I wonder if it'll have the same issues as the UK dub on the Bandai release of Ghost in the Shell 2: Innocence. Hopefully not.
Unlike Innocence's UK dub, Arrietty's was intended for theaters and most likely recorded at 24fps. Cinemas in Europe project films at the same frame rate as American ones do, so there shouldn't be any PAL conversion issues.
WTK

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:15 am Reply with quote
Pre-order listing for the Arrietty [North American Edition] release is now up @ Amazon Japan. Release date is 6/20/2012 and retailed at 10500yen (currently on sale @ 26% off: 7770yen).
bravetailor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:17 am Reply with quote
Redlinks wrote:
Of course I hear this news after I just bought the UK release a week ago. Oh well, I guess I'll buy this too.

There still seems to be some confusion about this news here this late in the thread.

THE CONTENTS OF THE UPCOMING U.S. DISNEY GHIBLI RELEASE IS NOT CONFIRMED. THIS NEWS PERTAINS ONLY TO JAPAN. IT IS A SPECIAL "NORTH AMERICAN" EDITION RELEASED SPECIFICALLY FOR JAPAN ONLY.

Honestly, the thread title needs to be changed ASAP before people start thinking about preordering the upcoming Disney release for something that may not even be there.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:39 pm Reply with quote
FLCLGainax wrote:
Unlike Innocence's UK dub, Arrietty's was intended for theaters and most likely recorded at 24fps. Cinemas in Europe project films at the same frame rate as American ones do, so there shouldn't be any PAL conversion issues.

Dubs don't have a frame rate, unless you're thinking of PAL speedup changing the runlength and affecting dub timing.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:56 pm Reply with quote
bravetailor wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

There still seems to be some confusion about this news here this late in the thread.

THE CONTENTS OF THE UPCOMING U.S. DISNEY GHIBLI RELEASE IS NOT CONFIRMED. THIS NEWS PERTAINS ONLY TO JAPAN. IT IS A SPECIAL "NORTH AMERICAN" EDITION RELEASED SPECIFICALLY FOR JAPAN ONLY.

Honestly, the thread title needs to be changed ASAP before people start thinking about preordering the upcoming Disney release for something that may not even be there.

Thank you for point this out - I was one of those people who was confused. I'll still by the U.S. Disney release even if it doesn't have the UK dub, but it would be awesome if it did.
Botan24

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:49 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
bravetailor wrote:
Redlinks wrote:

Thank you for point this out - I was one of those people who was confused. I'll still by the U.S. Disney release even if it doesn't have the UK dub, but it would be awesome if it did.

Guess I read it wrong too. Embarassed Thanks for the clarification. Well, my happiness balloon has deflated somewhat. I do hope Disney will include both the US and UK dubs, but either way I will be adding Arrietty to my collection.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3