• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV Films Announces Madlax

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nagisa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 5:36 pm Reply with quote
E_X wrote:
I don't like ADV's prices,

Why? Same prices as Bandai, Geneon, et al. Actually, I'd say ADV's box sets are a bit cheaper than the competitors. By my experience, ADV box sets usually clock in at $90-$130, while the average Bandai or Geneon box will run about $110-$200 for the same amount of episodes.

E_X wrote:
they have bad subs

When they put too many subs on the screen, I can begin to see the problem. If you're referring to translation though, I wouldn't suggest commenting on the quality of that unless you yourself are reasonably fluent in Japanese.

E_X wrote:
and they take way too long for releasing stuff.

Eh, it depends on the overall fan demand and the deal struck with the Japanese producer, I find. Chrono Crusade was rushed right out since it was rather popular, while the company continues to sit on old one-shot OVAs and extremely niche stuff that they really don't have the time to devote to at the moment. And also with things like Gantz, where the Japanese DVD release features revised & redone animation from the TV run, they have to wait on the Japanese release in order to put out the domestic one.

E_X wrote:
What makes not get stuff from them, is theri attitude though.

Attitude? Please explain.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Zack26
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:11 pm Reply with quote
lol. Well, with 4Kids out of the picture for this anime. There'll be some really good acting. Plus knowing ADV Films, they tend to keep the original bgm + theme songs.

Rather than come up with something cheezy and stupid (which 4Kids does).
manuverse

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Gamelore wrote:

Unfortunately, I thought, it wouldn't be released in the US for at *least* 2 years, the way things go. But this at least knocks off a year Smile

I knew it was only a matter of time before Madlax was licensed. Shows get licensed pretty quickly nowadays, sometimes before the series is even aired in Japan, before it can even be fansubbed and before we can even be lured in by a good story...

Anyways, I hope Volume 1 will come with a collectors box because im not waiting for a perfect collection...
CrackaJax

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Most of em come with a collectors box nowadays, especially ADV stuff.
Strategos

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Yea I would imagine there would be a collectors box with the first volume, especially with ADV. And saying it will take two years until it is released seems long. Maybe two years until all volumes of it are released, but not the first. I don't know the turn over rates exactly, but they have been getting alot faster in recent years. Like someone said earlier, Chrono Crusade is getting out FAST, so if ADV determines Madlax to be popular it will probably be released faster than you think.
Godaistudios

PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 9:30 pm Reply with quote
It's hard to say with ADV... You are somewhat right about the popularity of a series deteriming what they work on, but let's not kid ourselves here.

It's taken well over a year for D.N.Angel to come out from announcement, and I suspect they will be sitting on other titles for awhile (Loki, Pitchi Pitchi Pitch, etc.) as well before they see the store shelves.

I have no idea how popular Madlax is amongst the fans (never did see it myself) but with as many other titles as they have to work on, don't be surprised if it takes approximately 18 months before it hits store shelves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Steventheeunuch

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:19 am Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Steventheeunuch wrote:
By deep and immersing, you mean "boring and somewhat decent music"? Because thats all I got from .hack//sign, and I even looked at it for it's "deep" elements.

When you say Beetrain, please mean Beetrain in general, not 2/7(or whatever) of their currently licensed series, thanks.

So then Tokyo Godfathers counts as Beetrain, despite being done by Madhouse and Satoshi Kon? Same with Perfect Blue? Same with Azumanga Daioh and My Neighbours the Yamadas? Please keep your definitions to a standard that everyone can accept and relate to, please.

Ok, ok ok, gosh. Well, the animes from BEETRAIN that I WILL BE TALKING ABOUT are the ones I have mentioned before HAPPY!? Yesh, anyway, Have you played any of the games? The .hack games (eventhough the games are repetitive, some what boring, and the graphics don't improve between games) THAT is where the main story of .hack lies. THAT is when I spent 6 months researching everything I could possibley find out about it on the net. SIGN was pretty boring, but it did lay the primice for the main, and good, part of the storyline. Eventhough they're 4 games, and now they all cost about $20 now, it is SO worth the satisfaction of solving something that complicated. I'm even STILL finding out stuff that I didn't know until just recently, like how Morganna (the woman's voice in SIGN) looked like. It's amazing, even after 6 months or so of finding out almost everything, Im still learnng new things about it, that's how DEEP it really goes. Unfortnatly alot of people want instant gradifacation from anime, I want that too, but you also have to excersie some patience, and trust me it is SO worth it in the end when you have learned everything there is to learn and are able to tell other people. Knowledge, my friends, is the ultimate Euphoria.

Even then, the games were not done by Beetrain. Praising and complimenting the games is not only off topic, but rather pointless, as we're talking about the Anime. I don't care if it's setting the games up, a series should have the ability to stand on its own (which .hack did not) and not rely on a game that's been spread across 4 discs.

Also, last time I checked, playing a game was for fun. If it's boring, repetetive, and doesn't even have good eye candy (which they dont), then it fails at being a game.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 12:15 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Even then, the games were not done by Beetrain. Praising and complimenting the games is not only off topic, but rather pointless, as we're talking about the Anime. I don't care if it's setting the games up, a series should have the ability to stand on its own (which .hack did not) and not rely on a game that's been spread across 4 discs.

Also, last time I checked, playing a game was for fun. If it's boring, repetetive, and doesn't even have good eye candy (which they don't), then it fails at being a game.

Ok, sure they weren't made by Beetrain, but they connect to SIGN. There are 3 events, one in Mutation (2) one in Outbreak (3) and one quarintine (4) That have the SIGN characters in it. The first one is a shadow event where you get to see sence fom SIGN CG in the game. Second is another event were you have to find the remnants of the SIGN characters. They say lines from the show, and give you items such as Tsukasa give you his wand, etc. (Remember they are remaining data, so they aren't actually there.) The last one is at the end of quarintine. YOU CAN ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME WITH THE SIGN CHARACTERS!! (Also there's this deal with Sora in the 3rd game, but I don't feel like explaining it) If that isn't enough eveidence that the games should be mentioned with SING, I don't know what it, but if you had played the games you would know this already. It may not look like it, but SIGN plays a great role in the games, so it is perfectly logical to include in anything you say about .hack.

I said it earlier. I actually couldn't care about THE GAME, I cared about the storyline. I'm sorry if I didn't have the power to chose what type of media they wanted to put the GOOD BULCK of the storyline it. I buy it, play it, satisfy my curiousity, and move on. Since I'm 15, buying things doesn't affect me yet, so I couldn't care less how much it cost....even though I tried to buy them at like Target for like $30 if I could, and I got mutation for $14 and Blockbuster, but whatever. It seems like you don't want people, especially me as I am a juvenille, to explore something that they are interested in, and to actually have a curiosity in the first place. Haven't you ever wanted to know something so bad that you would go to any lengths to find out what it is, and to let your mind understand? That is what .hack did for me. It lets people thing outside of the box so to speak, and get into a world that could possibly one day be like our own.
Toboe

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:26 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Since I'm 15

I'd argue with you but this basically says all I need to say.

Anime is a business. Deal with it.
kusanagi-sama

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quote
It doesn't affect him because his parents buy stuff for him.

Anyway, it seems that releases come out approx 6 months after the license was announced. So I think Madlax will be out March or April next year.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Strategos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:03 pm Reply with quote
kusanagi-sama wrote:
It doesn't affect him because his parents buy stuff for him.

Anyway, it seems that releases come out approx 6 months after the license was announced. So I think Madlax will be out March or April next year.

I think that would be an at best scenario, but there is nothing wrong with that.
Andre Linoge

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quote
Steventheeunuch wrote:

Also, last time I checked, playing a game was for fun. If it's boring, repetetive, and doesn't even have good eye candy (which they don't), then it fails at being a game.

I really don't see how .hack//SIGN can't be viewed as a stand-alone. With the minor exceptions of a few common characters and the setting, .hack//SIGN tells its own story.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
Since I'm 15

And without customers or customer satisfaction there is no buisness. BTW, what does my age have to do with anything for you to quote it?
manuverse

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:12 pm Reply with quote
AuraShadow wrote:
Toboe wrote:
AuraShadow wrote:
Since I'm 15

And without customers or customer satisfaction there is no buisness. BTW, what does my age have to do with anything for you to quote it?

ADV has plenty of customers willing to pay for their anime no matter how pricey or stingy each volume is. The original Eva DVDs no extras (other than character profiles and trailers) and a very high price tag yet i still forked over the money to buy the expensive perfect collection. Basically if the fans like something enough they will buy it.
AuraShadow

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
manuverse wrote:
ADV has plenty of customers willing to pay for their anime no matter how pricey or stingy each volume is. The original Eva DVDs no extras (other than character profiles and trailers) and a very high price tag yet i still forked over the money to buy the expensive perfect collection. Basically if the fans like something enough they will buy it.

*cringe* Such...expensive...boxset.. *dies* Luckly I was fortunate to have several friends that had Eva eps (same with escaflone, gundam wing, and a few others), none of them had the entire seires, but between all of them, I was able to watch the whole series. I have the second dvd to the movie, but that's all I'm willing to get, eva wise. I know someone who has the directors cut, so I'm going to borrow and watch that. If I can't find it at a desent price at stores I resort the the "underground" anime world. Sorry, but I'm not crazy. Anime hyper The only Boxsets I have are a Fusighi Yuugi boxset (vhs, only half the series subbed, friend has rest dubbed) and the steal angel kurimi boxset, both were $40 when I got them. If it's too expensive for my taste I resort to friends and online. I man be a kid, but I don't want to go hog wild over anime and make my parents spend a ton. Usually opportunites present themselves when I look online *cough cough* love hina and hellsing *cough cough*So if I wait and look, I usually find what I want to watch, or just ask my friend who can get almost any anime that I ask for *cough cough* DNAngel *cough cough* Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4