• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Capcom Releases Street Fight X Tekken and Asura's Wrath in U.K.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:00 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
yurihellsing wrote:
And you've just lost all credibility with that.

With what, my accurate and shared observation of Western gamers, as shared by Jimmy Carr and others?.

WTF why are you listening to the likes of that idiot when it comes to gaming I'm not sure where you're going with this.
My comments about gamers here in the UK follows on from what I said about 'our' retail industry, because its a vicious circle - shops sell what people are buying and people buy what shops sell.

And Jimmy Carr only says on the television the stereotype everyone else shares about gamers - whilst gamers themselves believe the rest of us think "games are for kids", and talk about the childish 'maturity' of their FPS and GTA like it proves a point, the real popular streotype is of some old loser aged about 30, he's probably overweight, and almost certainly a male who's fascination with anonymous insults, guns and war is because he feels inferior around other males IRL. And please don't say "not all gamers are like that!", because no ones saying they ALL are, but we ALL know people who really are like that because there's a hell of a lot of them. Jimmy Carr only says what other people have noticed or people wouldn't laugh with him.

The sort of people who are into FPS ruin things for everyone else. If the Western games industry crashed we might get more titles from Japan on shop shelves, and people like my ex might find a job in the industry once the plague of FPS is out of the way.

Last edited by faintsmile1992 on Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:07 pm Reply with quote
can i just ask how old you are?
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm 19 and a half, why? And my ex, who's ruled out a career in the games industry because no one would be interested in his work over here, is a bit younger. And when we were together we discussed going into business as an indie label for UK-developed but Japanese-influenced games together when we're a bit older - but there's no market for it here. The retailers wouldn't stock them and Western gamers wouldn't give them a chance anyway.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
A. I think you're a bit naive when it comes to the state of the industry considering I've been gaming before you were born.

B. your attitude stinks for insulting a group of people for playing games they enjoy and using the opinions of a low brow comedian to back it up and to be honest I'm sure it's just his act not his true opinion.

and C. Japanese games have done and are doing very well in the west ever heard of Ace Combat?
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:58 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
A. I think you're a bit naive when it comes to the state of the industry considering I've been gaming before you were born.
And I know people like my uncle who've been playing for decades now, and they've noticed the changes for the worse. Racers and FIFA might always have been here, but the FPS have taken over like cancer.

Quote:
B. your attitude stinks for insulting a group of people for playing games they enjoy and using the opinions of a low brow comedian to back it up and to be honest I'm sure it's just his act not his true opinion.
And so what? These are the people who think all games that aren't violent and photorealistic are "for kids", and look down at the rest of us.

How do you think men who play games are seen by non-gamers?

Quote:
and C. Japanese games have done and are doing very well in the west ever heard of Ace Combat?
Yep and entire genres don't come over from Japan, or else they're licensed but sell poorly ie Okami.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:05 pm Reply with quote

Here Thought you might like some cheese to go with your whine cause that's what you're doing. Your argument consists of nothing but narrow minded views and insults.

also just for the record FPS have always been big ever since the mid 90's what with Quake, Half life, Counter strike, and Wolfenstein if in not too mistaken. If there's a cancer in gaming it's either Pokemon or Mario.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:57 pm Reply with quote
And why exactly shouldn't I be pissed off, Yurihellsing? Having to import everything - games, consoles, gamepads, joysticks - just because of those people, when everyone knows the UK sales charts used to be dominated by Japanese games. And the western industry was interested in games which weren't FPS murder sims?

And what about their whining? About how people think 'games are for kids'? How many times have you heard them complaining how people don't recognise games are 'art'? When what they they really mean is FPS games have cut scenes everyone skips, so what?

Whichever way you try and spin it, everyone else loses out through these people and the whole vicious circle, you can't bash any part of the cycle without bashing the lot. Like I said, an industry crash would be good.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:23 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
And why exactly shouldn't I be pissed off, Yurihellsing? Having to import everything - games, consoles, gamepads, joysticks - just because of those people, when everyone knows the UK sales charts used to be dominated by Japanese games. And the western industry was interested in games which weren't FPS murder sims?

And what about their whining? About how people think 'games are for kids'? How many times have you heard them complaining how people don't recognise games are 'art'? When what they they really mean is FPS games have cut scenes everyone skips, so what?

Whichever way you try and spin it, everyone else loses out through these people and the whole vicious circle, you can't bash any part of the cycle without bashing the lot. Like I said, an industry crash would be good.

What? again with the nonsensical whining.

Quote:

errrmmm could have something to do with the fact they were making almost 50% of the games in the first place?

also your constant picking on FPS is rather childish.

Quote:

You know the games industry has always been like the Movie and TV industry there are the mind blowing games like journey and then you got your slug fests like COD/BF3 and everything else in between

Code:

And again with the one sided whining!
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:57 pm Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
some cheese to go with your whine

Mere wine?
Egad! We are Englishmen here! Englishmen. What vile and egregious discourtesy would we be paying our esteemed guests if we weren't to serve port to galvanise the evening's occasion? Showing such wanton disregard towards a gentleman's sophisticated mores would have one ejected from Simpson's-in-the-Strand faster than one can say "weskit".
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
consignia

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Mine's a pint of mild. /working class credentials
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:17 pm Reply with quote
And I don't drink. Razz
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:37 pm Reply with quote
aye that fact was painfully obvious.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 pm Reply with quote
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0sYp-eggD1Q&feature=g-u-u&context=G20bb3bcFUAAAAAAAIAA

a better explanation of what's wrong in the games industry at the moment by someone who knows his stuff.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 pm Reply with quote
How is that YouTube video relevant? Its about PC gaming and franchise titles.

It doesn't refute the vicious circle I mentioned - retailers selling little but franchise titles, to the sort of people who lap each yearly update of COD up.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
no the video kinda states the problem lies with the publishers not the retailers cause it's the publishers who buy the shelf space and spend X amount on advertising not the players which you seem to put all the blame on.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3