• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Library War: The Wings of Revolution Film's Trailer Posted

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shukero

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Loved the anime series; it's a shame it was never licensed; I would of loved to pick it up legally Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Admittedly though I love and am collecting the Love & War manga version I wasn't overly thrilled by how different the anime seemed when I checked out episode 1, but given how this movie looks, I'm inclined to go back and give it another try.

I just love book/reading-themed stories, and since it'll be awhile yet 'til the new R.O.D comes out, I'm more than happy to fall even deeper in love with Library Wars.
st_owly

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:53 am Reply with quote
As far as I'm aware, it's the national government which set up the censorship law, and the local governments which created the law to allow libraries to defend themselves. Sort of like the FBI vs the state police, I guess.
Banken

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Kalessin wrote:
I just ran into Library War the other day, and I have to say that it has one of the most ludicrous concepts of any show that I have ever seen. I mean, you pass a law creating a government association to censor books, and then you immediately pass another law making it legal for another organization to defend against the first one with its own military organization? It's like if they banned a product and then made it legal for people to defend against the enforcement of that ban by using deadly force - or like if it were made legal for two political parties to fight each other with their own military forces as long as they filled out the right paperwork first! It's completely ludicrous. It's one thing to have an oppressive regime looking to censor free speech and a group of people who oppose that. It's quite another to legally formalize the whole thing and make it okay for your citizens to fight each other in full-on military conflicts. I don't understand how anyone could have ever thought that the whole idea makes any sense.

But in spite of how absolutely insane the basic idea behind the series is, it's actually quite entertaining - primarily because so much of it focuses on the characters and their interactions rather than the nonsensical political situation. And when the nonsensical political situation affects things, the character stuff still makes it worth it. I'm definitely looking forward to the movie.

But I still find it incredibly bizarre that anyone would consider the whole political situation in Library War to make enough sense to actually publish a story with it. But I guess that it's the characters that matter and not their completely unrealistic situation.

Technically speaking if I remember correctly, the law only gave libraries the right to use force defend whatever was within their grounds and to purchase books that were being confiscated.

And all the combatants wear so much body armor that I can't remember anyone actually being seriously injured from gunfire, at least for most of the series.

But yeah, it's clearly not that well through out of a series... but it does work as a satire somewhat.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2