• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Stream It Again, Sam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
configspace

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:52 pm Reply with quote
@TitanXL

Kickstarter works by pledging. Until the goal is met, your money (via credit card) is not taken. I assume this project will work the same way, so people won't need to worry about gambling on titles that ultimately are not popular enough to be funded.

Also I would not underestimate some people/segment/niches, like:
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2012-01-15/tezuka-barbara-manga-reaches-goal-for-english-printing
animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-11-18/tezuka-swallowing-the-earth-to-be-reprinted-in-english
both of which went way beyond their goals too
Shenl742

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:00 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, if the Kickstarter goal isn't met, then backers aren't charged a cent.

I think the pledge creators themselves have to pay fees to set a pledge up, so really they're the only ones with anything to lose.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:07 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha. Several minutes into this podcast and the Pokemon metaphor sorta widens.

CHALLENGER sent out SAMPINANSKY!

ZAC! I choose you!

SAMPINANSKY used ROAR!

ZAC retreated!

Go! JUSTIN!

About when the technical streaming stuff came up and Sam called Justin out, Zac vanished. It was kinda funny. Anime hyper

As for the streaming/Kickstarter thing, words cannot describe how excited I am about that. I wish them all the best, I've wanted a hybrid service like this available for a long time now, and with a niche market like this, I think it's possible for it to thrive. Super-exciting. Anime smile

(I don't know what animation companies are involved in this starting out, and I doubt Manglobe is one of them, but suggestion for "not old" shows that need love: I'd look into trying to stream some Michiko and Hatchin, see if we *can* get a fan-supported DVD release of that. ^^; When it comes to old shows, there's any number of things I'd be interested in checking out, but MandH always stunned me as something that didn't cross the ocean in any form.)

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:20 pm; edited 3 times in total
Guardsman Bass

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:10 pm Reply with quote
penguintruth wrote:
I would surely contribute to bringing Legend of the Galactic Heroes here.

Seconded.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:35 pm Reply with quote
JesuOtaku wrote:

As for the streaming/Kickstarter thing, words cannot describe how excited I am about that. I wish them all the best, I've wanted a hybrid service like this available for a long time now, and with a niche market like this, I think it's possible for it to thrive. Super-exciting. Anime smile

I think the problem is that younger people expect the world to hand them things for free. They expect that companies should just give them stuff and the only they get in return is knowing that the fans enjoyed it.
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I think the problem is that younger people expect the world to hand them things for free. They expect that companies should just give them stuff and the only they get in return is knowing that the fans enjoyed it.

I think another problem is a few "older" fans throw that blanket statement on them, don't expect any better of them, and just keep doing things the same old way instead of trying to change the model up to fit new mindsets like this endeavor is seeking to do.

I'm not saying Sam's idea will be successful or remotely easy, but it is very much a *new* thing backed by good ideas, so I think it's important to support and foster it, wish it all the best and hope it goes in the right direction. Condemning it this early when you're a fan of a floundering industry? Come on man, that's not cool at all. This thing deserves nothing but ardent fan support at this stage.

Last edited by JacobC on Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:42 pm Reply with quote
Charred Knight wrote:
JesuOtaku wrote:

I think the problem is that younger people expect the world to hand them things for free. They expect that since some pirate can make money off of giving something for free than surely the stubborn old man companies who clearly don't understand how the world works can give them anime and comics for free. Of course they fail to realize that the reason the pirates can give stuff away for free is because they didn't pay any money to create it.

Well now if younger people are willing to fork over 4-7 dollars for xbox live, crunchy roll or hulu plus then i don't see problem kicking back a little donations with that amount. To get this off the ground any amount of donations will need be allowed from anybody no matter the amount to donate via pay pal, credit card or money order then I can see this working.

I do have 100 dollars that I am willing to give up here soon I just need to get call-back on my job lol. On the pirate side... well I just found this lurking around..really people?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SeigiNoSenshi

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 5:54 pm Reply with quote
I really like the idea of kickstarting, but on top of classics, if they did niche or forgotten 2000-era shows (leaving my giant list of "license this" aside), I'd probably be a huge contributor.

It'd be really amazing, too, if someone started some more for general manga/LNs (and not just Tezuka), so we could to get out of this gigantic list of manga/LNs that have 1/500 chance of being licensed (or still only 1/50 if we already have the anime over here.)
Splitter

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:26 pm Reply with quote
$2,000 if they make Manabi Straight legally available.

I will sign to this in blood if needed.
Melanchthon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:37 pm Reply with quote
Hey, I would pay good money for a Go Nagai show!
In fact, I have 50 Real American Dollars right here in my hand of the first episode of Enma-kun or Honey Cutie. Put up or Shut up? I plan to get my name on an anime somewhere!

Also acceptable: Akazukin Chacha, the remainder of Lupin III s2, and Iketeru Futari. MAKE IT SO.

@Cecilthedarkknight_234
I...I...I am literally ANGRY WITH RAGE!
luffypirate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:

WOW 22 episodes on that one disc?! How in the heck?

That idea Sam is backing is a great one. I'm the exact type of patron for it.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I know one American company that "makes do with Black Magic" Wink

I love this quote from the Aegisub site:
Quote:
The file name extension is STL. (The format is also specified to be exchanged on 3.5" floppy disks formatted for use with MS-DOS 3.3 and newer, but that can probably be disregarded.)

A-DEC: http://www.a-dec.co.jp/

Talking about Japan re-editing scripts, they used the FUNimation script for the Kiddy Grade movie BDs in Japan, with modification. At least one line that was outright wrong in the FUNimation script was corrected, but unfortunately while they corrected Donnerschlag's "gender", they changed the name to Donnersclag - which is used in some of the official Japanese material but is clearly wrong.

-- added --

Charred Knight wrote:

"You're not giving it to me! Give it to me faster!"

I offloaded my CCS boolegs to someone who couldn't play my R1 discs, but I don't think they were quite at the 22 eps a disc level. They were all stacked on a single spindle.. something which I believe some legit companies have started using these days also?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:14 pm Reply with quote
Can't listen to the podcast yet (Amtrak's Wi-Fi doesn't allow it for some reason) but using Kickstarter to bring more anime/manga titles to America is a great idea!! Very Happy
I can think of a few titles both old school and new fans of classic anime/manga that can be brought over.

penguintruth wrote:
I would surely contribute to bringing Legend of the Galactic Heroes here.

Aww...You're gonna make me cry. Anime cry

@ JesuOtaku Someone has been watching Chihayafuru! Laughing
kawaiibunny3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:19 pm Reply with quote
ok, so I haven't finished listening to whole thing yet. but

oh mannnnn, the new Classic Anime "kickstarter" project sounds ABSOLUTELY Fantastic~~

I'm crossing my fingers for Studio Pierrot, Toei Animation and Production Reed to jump on board so I can (ideally) get DVDs of my old magical girl shows~

I guess the most wanted old shoujo shows are Candy Candy and Rose of Versailles, but those are also giant rights headache shows too like the giant robot shows right?

I know I'm counting all the chickens before they hatch here, but I'm just so excited about this. Thank you Sam Pinansky and everyone else involved for making my night
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:23 pm Reply with quote
Interesting that Sam brings up Tokuma Shoten. They were the ones who Disney had to strike a deal with in 1997 to get the Ghibli library released outside Japan.
Before Disney came along, it seemed pretty difficult to get other companies to negotiate with them for those movies. I remember hearing about how Streamline Pictures had trouble with them over distributing Laputa: Castle in the Sky in the late 1980's when they temporarily had the license. Streamline was only able to release it in a few US theaters but not allowed to release it on home video, because Tokuma was supposedly waiting for a licensor with more clout in Hollywood (like Disney) to come along.
Before the Disney-Tokuma deal, only My Neighbor Totoro got a home video release for some reason and not the two other Ghibli films Streamline had some rights to (Laputa: CITS and Kiki's Delivery Service). So besides Miyazaki's reluctance to license the films outside Japan for fear of another "Warriors of the Wind" debacle, it sounds as if Tokuma's stubbornness may have been another factor in much of the Ghibli library being inaccessible before Disney's involvement. Maybe Disney was able to convince them due to already handling the Japanese home video distribution of the films.

Last edited by FLCLGainax on Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 2 of 8