• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Stream It Again, Sam

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fireaxe

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:57 am Reply with quote
Words just can't express how much I want this project to work out... Samuelp, I sincerely wish you all the best and will be eagerly waiting for an update on its progression. =)

Extremely informative podcast, I really enjoyed it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:26 am Reply with quote
I had absolutely no clue that most pirate groups don't even translate their own scripts; more reason to view most modern day digisubs as inferior to the official product.

My goal is to be a professional Japanese>English translator within the next year or so. Sam, how exactly is the market, as of 2012, for that specific type of translator. (Specifically in the US and Japan). Are they in demand, or is it pretty over-saturated? I know that one can't live on anime/manga translations, alone.

Also, theoretical physics, huh? That explains "quark"boy.

Well, might I assert my own theory, concerning which show was the "very bland harem ero-game adaptation" you were forced to endure for the sake of providing Japanese cartoons to us crazed otaku?

spoiler[La Corda D'Oro - primo passo], perhaps?
agila61

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:32 am Reply with quote
Part of the simulcast discussed which series make money for Crunchyroll and which lose money.

However, its not necessarily as simple to determine for an a la carte subscriber site as it is for an ad-stream, since there is the issue of not only how many people watch a particular series, but also where it fits in those viewers' viewing habits and re-subscription choices. There are network economies and economies of scope that kick in for a la carte pricing that don't have the same importance for pay-per-view (including ad-streaming).

One dimension is strongly favored series, which the amount of discussion is likely to pick up.

Another dimension is number of series followed regularly versus how many "feels like" enough to justify the subscription ~ someone who follows five series weekly is more likely to resubscribe than someone who follows two. In that dimension, if a series is not a strong favorite of many people, but its part of the "also following" series that push people into resubscribing, it's benefit in reducing the churn rate could be greater than the number of views would indicate.

Those kind of network economies mean that a simple per series break-even will normally underestimate the benefit to an a la carte subscription site of the marginal titles. A rough correction for that which can be automated is to divide each subscribers fee by the number of episodes they watch, and allocate that share of gross revenue to each episode.
asimpson2006

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:38 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
I had absolutely no clue that most pirate groups don't even translate their own scripts; more reason to view most modern day digisubs as inferior to the official product.

I see with fansub groups like say group X puts out a BD rips and they use and update group B's subs for the TV version. I have seen it more often these days and less when I used fansubs more often.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
lys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:45 pm Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
Well, might I assert my own theory, concerning which show was the "very bland harem ero-game adaptation" you were forced to endure for the sake of providing Japanese cartoons to us crazed otaku?

That's based on a girl-oriented game, and I'm pretty sure it's not anywhere in the "ero-game" category.
504NOSON2
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:05 pm Reply with quote
True. Didn't think about that.
Saffire

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Quote:

My guess was Shukufuku no Campanella. Man that was a horrible show.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 3:59 pm Reply with quote
Saffire wrote:
Quote:

La Corda D'Oro - primo passo], perhaps?
My guess was Shukufuku no Campanella. Man that was a horrible show.

It's not like there aren't plenty of choices.

Fortune Arterial
Bridge to Starry Skies (or whatever it was called)
Mashiro-Iro Symphony (a show so bland I had already forgotten it's title less than 3 months later and had to look it up)
matthewlow

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:49 am Reply with quote
The kickstarter idea for anime that would never otherwise have a chance (or a second chance) in the US is one of the best ideas I've heard for anime in the US, next to simulcasting and half-season sets.

With the YTV connection, I'm keeping my hopes for Detective Conan to make a comeback. I will definitely put my money where my hopes are, if that were ever a consideration. Truly believe that Conan can succeed in this kind of model.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:37 am Reply with quote
And as of yesterday the board of YTV gave final approval to the project!

Currently we have 4 animation companies on board (but not yet officially signed the contract) and a fifth where we're doing the final push with this week (now that YTV made it official).

Feel free to speculate wildly about which ones they are! Hint: They're not dinky.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:17 am Reply with quote
Sunrise
Group TAC
TMS
Nippon Animation
Toei <- more of a wish than a guess
Veers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:48 am Reply with quote
504NOSON2 wrote:
It's been going on for a some time now (and that discounts the groups who rip official subs off discs and use those, something that's been going on for much longer). Some groups don't even disguise the fact. Some do, but a little digging will quickly expose which subs are "borrowed" and which aren't.

The fansub scene really has changed since streaming got its foot in the door. Groups that actually translate their releases are harder to find, but they are still out there--the thing is, besides a few established groups, some of the subbers translating their own releases get more or less ignored because the simulcast rippers are faster, so that's what most people download. The big download numbers go to the fastest fansubber, so if you're not fansubbing for translation practice or out of a genuine (possibly misguided) love of the show (that is, doing it for internet popularity), there's no need to spend the extra time doing all that translation work over again, right?
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:00 am Reply with quote
Quote:
YTV

I can't be the only one who thought of the channel. Y'know, Bionix and stuff like that.

Be right back. I'm gonna go cry now. Just brought back memories of Bionix. Anime cry
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 am Reply with quote
samuelp wrote:
Feel free to speculate wildly about which ones they are! Hint: They're not dinky.

Like I mentioned earlier in this topic I'll say:
Tezuka Pro/Mushi Pro (since you work for them, Sam, they were probably the first studio you talked to about this site)
TMS
Toei Animation

And stop there.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:02 pm Reply with quote
And then I find something else oddly relevant.
http://www.dannychoo.com/post/en/26466/Anime+Production+Fund.html
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8