• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Claymore DVD 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:18 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Roi wrote:
I just have a question to anyone who watched it. In episode 8 spoiler[ When Teresa was about to kill Priscilla and then Priscilla pulled a 360 and chopped Teresa's hands off and then her head i was in awe. Which led to think was Priscilla more powerful than Teresa? Or was Teresa just caught of guard?]

spoiler[I thought it was pretty clear that Teresa was completely off-guard. Also, the other claymores' comments lead us to believe that Teresa was easily dominating the fight with a minor fraction of her potential, while Priscilla was using everything she had.]

Yeah i thought that at first but i wasn't sure
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:35 pm Reply with quote
Vol 2 wes definately decent enough. though it's ashame it ain't showing on any broadcasts.Would've been nice if AS or IFC was showing it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:39 pm Reply with quote
I agree on that. spoiler[I also think that Teresa simply let her guard down because she believed in those words. She definitely easily dominated Prissy without using nearly all her power before (and Irene says so as well).]

On the other hand we don`t know whether Prissy really "pulled" something or whether she herself was sincere, but in the end lost against the Yoma-part and its power, causing her to completely lose control over herself. spoiler[In the manga and to a certain degree in the anime as well later on she definitely isn`t portrayed as a wicked evil being, but more like a lost, confused child, who was unable to control herself.]

dtm42 wrote:
However, if these five episodes were the best in the series, then I hope that the drop-off isn't too severe.

I wonder. To me, the ending (i.e. the last 3? episodes in the series) was really, really, really bad. So I think it`s better to prepare yourself for the worst, and then it might turn out to be not as bad as expected ^^; But everything before that is still decent and if you dislike the anime ending you can always read the manga.

edit: added spoiler tags (... hopefully at the right place oO )

Last edited by maaya on Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:57 pm Reply with quote
Roi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Roi wrote:
walw6pK4Alo wrote:
Roi wrote:
my box set only cost me 26 dollars i used DVDpacific.com their shipping is a little high though

More like you overpayed to get a piece of cardboard. I meant full series in a cheap boxset.

na overpaying would be $40+. anyways im not going to wait years until and expensive box set comes out. Plus the "piece of cardboard" can be used to put all the volumes in. So by the time i get all the volumes it will look like a box set, just less expensive.

How?! You're easily paying more than $15 (more like $22) per DVD, 6 DVDs, thus $90 (more like $132), plus the shipping on each one. An eventual thinpack set shouldn't cost me anymore than $60 MSRP, and from Rightstuf that means free shipping. Collecting new release singles always costs more than a boxset.

I don't pay shipping i can wait 5 days. Im just not going to wait years so i can save 30 dollars. So if its "like" $90 then im fine with that price. But if you do want to wait the years for a box set that is going to cost just about 60 or more then go ahead. Patience is a virtue. Or watch it online if u have no patience.

I've already seen it, which is why I can wait for a cheaper boxset.
Roi

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 8:59 pm Reply with quote
spoiler[I'm still in shock to what happened to Teresa, she looked like a very prominent character. I didn't think she would die so early in the series. Now im going to try to watch episode 8 again, not sure if i can. The scene was just to much for me to bear, just like the ending of Cowboy Bebop]
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:02 am Reply with quote
Oh that got me too.

I really have to admit I was highly impressed with this series for what it was. I may have to start collecting the manga now. Definitely on my "next to buy" list. Looks like 'Moribito' won't be the only series I pick up this next year.

Good review, but not sure what you mean by flaws in "shonen" formula.
bluegreen

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:07 pm Reply with quote
Yeah Claymore was a great show. Its too bad it starts to tank near the last couple of episodes. I sort of wish that they just took a break and made a second season once more of the manga came out instead of creating an ending out of thin air. Seriously, they were about to hit some of the best parts of the manga when they ended the show Sad
Chrno2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
bluegreen wrote:
Yeah Claymore was a great show. Its too bad it starts to tank near the last couple of episodes. I sort of wish that they just took a break and made a second season once more of the manga came out instead of creating an ending out of thin air. Seriously, they were about to hit some of the best parts of the manga when they ended the show Sad

You said it, definitely agree on that. I mean they did it with 'Black Lagoon', and look he's getting a 3rd season. But it is hard to kind of close up loose ends on a whim. 'Berserk' suffered the same fate. But after digging through finding an interview on Miura and hearing an old rumor, it was believed that he didn't want a second season. Not to mention he did help with the re-scripting. And was very adamant about the studio making changes. If anyone was going to do any changes it was going to be him. After watching 'Claymore', I had to take a look at the manga. Considering how much they left intact with slight changes I was pretty satisfied with the ending. But I also would have liked a 2nd season that continues with the manga. Since that may not happen I can rest easy knowing that I'm not spoiling anything if I continue the story with the manga. Smile

Again good show. Looking back at the review I may now understand what flaws he was talking about.
Key

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2008 11:25 pm Reply with quote
maaya, the first part of your last post is edging on being spoilerish.

bluegreen wrote:

Okay, I've had about enough of the bashing of the last couple of episodes without saying anything.

I'm not going comment on this much now, because this space is supposed to be about the second volume's content and I will have a lot more to say about this issue when the last volume comes out, but the series did not tank towards the end. Yeah, some parts got a bit cheesy, but it was clear to me that the ending was precisely designed to bring together everything that the series was about up to that point, and do so in a way that wasn't too far removed from the manga. If you don't get how that happened, rewatch those last couple of episodes with what I've been saying in the first two reviews in mind. If you still don't get what I mean, then look up the Claymore thread in the Anime forum or wait until the last volume comes out and I'll be happy to wear your ear off about it then.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
bluegreen

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:42 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
maaya, the first part of your last post is edging on being spoilerish.

bluegreen wrote:

Okay, I've had about enough of the bashing of the last couple of episodes without saying anything.

I'm not going comment on this much now, because this space is supposed to be about the second volume's content and I will have a lot more to say about this issue when the last volume comes out, but the series did not tank towards the end. Yeah, some parts got a bit cheesy, but it was clear to me that the ending was precisely designed to bring together everything that the series was about up to that point, and do so in a way that wasn't too far removed from the manga. If you don't get how that happened, rewatch those last couple of episodes with what I've been saying in the first two reviews in mind. If you still don't get what I mean, then look up the Claymore thread in the Anime forum or wait until the last volume comes out and I'll be happy to wear your ear off about it then.
Sorry, but you wont find me agreeing with you on this. the ending was rushed and showed a drop in quality when compared to the story telling prior to the ending. You might not like to hear that, but you will have to accept the fact that every does not agree with you. I will say this though, the issue would not be so glaring to me if the manga did not exist as a comparison. As it is however, the manga does exist and what occurs in the manga is far more interesting than what we got at the end of the show. Now I will take your suggestion under advisement and rewatch those last couple of episodes but in return you should re-read (or perhaps read for the first time *shrug*) the volumes of manga following the divergence point in the plot and tell me if you still think the ending of the show is as good as what we got in the manga.
Roi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 5:58 pm Reply with quote
yeah thats what im thinking on doing. Watching it and then reading the Manga. Thats how i got attached to beserk manga. Beserk's ending felt rushed and missed a lot of things. So when im done watching claymore i'll start getting the mangas for it.
maaya

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 7:19 pm Reply with quote
bluegreen wrote:
I will say this though, the issue would not be so glaring to me if the manga did not exist as a comparison.

I disagree Anime hyper Knowing about the manga allows you to consider that this is "anime only" and that they maybe didn't have a better way to end everything because the manga is still ongoing and going into a quite different direction etc.

Not knowing the manga makes the ending seem even worse (to some people), because then it makes no sense at all. I've seen plenty of people, unfortunately, who didn't know the manga and gave up completely on the whole series thanks to the anime's ending, because they thought the manga would be just as bad (that's their fault of course). But just wanted to make clear, that those disliking the ending really aren't only those who have read the manga.

But yes, as Key said, let's keep this discussion for the final volume, when we can actually discuss this while giving examples and not only a vague "that was bad", "the manga is better".
Key

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:45 pm Reply with quote
bluegreen wrote:
You might not like to hear that, but you will have to accept the fact that every does not agree with you.

Oh, I don't expect everyone to agree with me, but I do think a lot of people are totally missing the point about that ending, perhaps because they're looking for something else.

Quote:
Now I will take your suggestion under advisement and rewatch those last couple of episodes but in return you should re-read (or perhaps read for the first time *shrug*) the volumes of manga following the divergence point in the plot and tell me if you still think the ending of the show is as good as what we got in the manga.

Um, I have reviewed Volume 11 and Volume 12 of the manga over the course of the year, and that doesn't change my opinion at all about the anime ending. The anime had to do things a bit differently because it was only scheduled to be 26 episodes, not an ongoing story, so it had to have some kind of definitive ending or else we'd have another Berserk on our hands. Given that, and given how everything in the anime had set up to that point, what other way to end the story in the wake of the Pieta arc would have made sense?

Is the final fight scene cheesy? Yeah, can't deny that. But to call the whole final couple of episodes "terrible" is to deny everything else those episodes did right.

Geez, I'm violating my own rule now. Gotta stop that. Razz We will talk more later about this, I think.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2