• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kanon DVD 6

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leebo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:55 am Reply with quote
Oh, heh, I just ordered this today! I'll be quite happy to complete the collection.
maaya

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:23 am Reply with quote
sounds nice, and now is the perfect season to watch Kanon ^^

out of curiosity, "it is one of the best moe-centric titles to date." And the others are ... ?
loka

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:40 am Reply with quote
glad to see Kanon getting a good score.

maaya wrote:
"it is one of the best moe-centric titles to date." And the others are ... ?

I'm curious as well. Air and ef ? perhaps KimiNozo?
Taiyz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:00 am Reply with quote
I don't think you can really nail it down to any specific group, maaya, loka. "Moe" isn't really a genre, so basically any anime with lots of girls acting cute qualifies and that's broad as heck; in most cases, as long as there's romance there will be SOME "moe" moments, so it really comes down to juxtaposition. As such, I would disagree with your suggestion of KimiNozo. That was depressing as fudge despite the girls at the cafe being total "moe" fan-service. If you go and watch a harem anime, you'll get all your "moe" along with pleasant happy feelings. At least, I like to think that anime these days aren't labeled "moe" just because of 2 side characters.

Honestly I think the concept of "moe" has ruined any coverage I could read of this series. Back when I watched it, I just enjoyed it for what it was. It was cute, it was funny, mysterious, magical and had a nice conclusion with romantic intrigue along the way. That's basically it.

These days you can't get by without someone declaring some Key character as their goddess, princess or queen and posting a bunch of screen captures with the word "moe" superimposed on them.

I'd honestly just recommend Kanon as a romantic comedy with some elements of magic and mystery. Just because the girls act cute doesn't really force it into a genre of its own.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
here-and-faraway

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
I'm really happy for the people who collected the series that they're able to complete it. I love Air, but was reluctant to pick this title up because of ADV's troubles. Now Kanon 5 is VERY expensive and difficult to find. Does anyone out there know if Funimation is going to re-release the entire series? I haven't read anything, but I hope they do. Still, I'm glad there is a happy ending for the people who already had started to collect the series.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:11 am Reply with quote
A generally agreeable review. Cheers Key.
Now the question is, can I gather together the £115 it'd cost to buy the series from the importing company. Alas, still no news of any saving grace in the form of a 'complete collection'.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 9:18 am Reply with quote
After waiting months and months for this volume, I finally got it the day after it came out thanks to Amazon. I thought they did a fantastic job of wrapping up all the story arcs and answering all the questions. I almost had the whole thing with Ayu figured out, the only difference was spoiler[I thought she was actually dead, instead of in a coma. I had figured out she fell out of the tree back around volume 3 or so]. Either way, it was still tragic, and it will shock people who weren't paying close attention to all the little hints throughout the show.

Definitely a must buy for romantic comedy fans. Smile
Mevious

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:54 am Reply with quote
Theron Martin wrote:
...a series which mixes a bit of the supernatural and some occasionally awkward structures borrowed from its original visual novel format into a scrupulously clean, low-Key series designed to give viewers warm fuzzies and, occasionally, a flare-up of deeper and more serious emotion.

Was... Was that a...?
belvadeer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:36 am Reply with quote
Wow, I feel kind of "e-old" listening to people talk about Kanon 2006. I finished watching it so many months ago. I thought it was hilarious and emotional. I'm sorry if I don't quite get this whole moe thing; honestly I have no idea what anyone means when they say moe. The individual stories of each of the girls really brough a tear to my eye at times, even Miss Ugu's, which people would write off as absurd in its context.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:11 pm Reply with quote
Mevious wrote:
Theron Martin wrote:
...a series which mixes a bit of the supernatural and some occasionally awkward structures borrowed from its original visual novel format into a scrupulously clean, low-Key series designed to give viewers warm fuzzies and, occasionally, a flare-up of deeper and more serious emotion.

Was... Was that a...?

No comment. Wink

maaya wrote:
out of curiosity, "it is one of the best moe-centric titles to date." And the others are ... ?

Honestly, it's the best moe-focused series I've seen so far, but I stated it that way because I don't watch a lot of moe-specific stuff (i.e. I'm hedging my bets).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Myaow

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
It is, in many senses, the polar opposite of Gurren Lagann, a series which mixes a bit of the supernatural and some occasionally awkward structures borrowed from its original visual novel format into a scrupulously clean, low-Key series designed to give viewers warm fuzzies and, occasionally, a flare-up of deeper and more serious emotion

I get the feeling I'm either misreading something or missing something important.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
Myaow wrote:
Quote:
It is, in many senses, the polar opposite of Gurren Lagann, [Kanon is] a series which mixes a bit of the supernatural and some occasionally awkward structures borrowed from its original visual novel format into a scrupulously clean, low-Key series designed to give viewers warm fuzzies and, occasionally, a flare-up of deeper and more serious emotion

I get the feeling I'm either misreading something or missing something important.

Does that make more sense? I think that maybe there shouldn't be a comma between "in many senses" and "the polar opposite of Gurren Lagann", but I don't know how much that would help anyway.
dewlwieldthedarpachief

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
I don't think you can really nail it down to any specific group, maaya, loka. "Moe" isn't really a genre, so basically any anime with lots of girls acting cute qualifies and that's broad as heck; in most cases, as long as there's romance there will be SOME "moe" moments, so it really comes down to juxtaposition. As such, I would disagree with your suggestion of KimiNozo. That was depressing as fudge despite the girls at the cafe being total "moe" fan-service. If you go and watch a harem anime, you'll get all your "moe" along with pleasant happy feelings. At least, I like to think that anime these days aren't labeled "moe" just because of 2 side characters.

Honestly I think the concept of "moe" has ruined any coverage I could read of this series. Back when I watched it, I just enjoyed it for what it was. It was cute, it was funny, mysterious, magical and had a nice conclusion with romantic intrigue along the way. That's basically it.

These days you can't get by without someone declaring some Key character as their goddess, princess or queen and posting a bunch of screen captures with the word "moe" superimposed on them.

I'd honestly just recommend Kanon as a romantic comedy with some elements of magic and mystery. Just because the girls act cute doesn't really force it into a genre of its own.

Of course, it's also worth mentioning that all the Key animations with the exception of Clannad are based on visual novels in which you seduce the female characters...8Obut all in all I think you're well said. People like you and I who saw stuff like Kanon and didn't have the oh-em-gee internet paranoia scurrying around in their heads walked away thinking "huh, that was alright".

I for one am guilty of sometimes placing more than a little too much stock in the opinions of other people. There's so many reviews and threads and hearsay about everything that I find myself developing an opinion about things I've NEVER SEEN. It's pretty ridiculous.

So now I turn to reviews as more of an afterthought to movies or whatever. I can definitely say that even though I may watch better things as a result of consulting reviews, I don't experience them the same way.
the Rancorous

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:09 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
I'm sorry if I don't quite get this whole moe thing; honestly I have no idea what anyone means when they say moe.

Same here, everytime I thought I had it figured out it turned out that I had it 'not quite right,' so I say to hell with that term; Kanon (to me) is just a well-written romantic drama with a nice comedic side Wink .

Yeah, that "shocking" event really threw me off when it happened.
spoiler[Seeing Akiko being straight-up pulverized by the tumbling car] was really the last thing I was expecting in the final episodes of this show. And spoiler[when Nayuki passed by the scene only to see the cake she asked her to get smashed on the street] was pretty tear-jerking. Well, pretty much any character Jessica Boone voices has the potential for getting that kind of response out of me Embarassed .
ghoster2212

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 7:12 pm Reply with quote
Well it is done and all I can say is that this was one of the most enjoyable series out there. Vol. 6 brings everything together and including a surprise ending that a series like this would never think of doing.

As for Vol. 5 I found it at a local Best Buy store for mere price of $21.99 not the $69.99 to $85.00 dollars on eBay! If Yahoo Auctions were still active here in the states I bet you could have found it there for a lot less

Don't forget there was another Kanon series in 2002! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2