• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Best and Worst Manga of 2010

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lys

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thompson suggested that it was "like Bakugan, for your parents."

I think that should be Bakuman, right? The Jump series about kids creating a manga? It makes the most sense in the context of the discussion...

I don't feel a need to jump in and defend any of their worst picks this year (to start with, I haven't read any of them). I agree that Red Hot Chili Samurai does have a very nice cover design, though.

And it's awesome to see recognition of the excellent Karakuri Odette series! I hope more and more people give it a chance :D I kinda want to check out Cat Paradise now too, since I keep hearing about it...
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:35 pm Reply with quote
I thought some people where reading way too much into Chi's Sweet Home.
Araki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Garrity said she had been following Kekkaishi from the beginning and that while its premise is "not all that unusual," it's less episodic and more focused on an ongoing plot, which she felt was in keeping with its Shonen Sunday roots (in comparison to Shonen Jump titles like Bleach).

Heh, i think someone doesn't really know Jump enough.
gorbal

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:03 am Reply with quote
God they really have no taste, jeez.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:05 am Reply with quote
Parsifal24 wrote:

Exactly. Seriously, it's as simple as it looks. There isn't a deep psychological plot and the characters aren't putting on a act to hide anything.

It's a show about a day and a life in a cat's life, as well as her family. Some people are trying to compare this series to deep psychological series like Neon Genesis Evagellion.

It's not a complex show and won't ever be one.
verygorgeous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:05 am Reply with quote
I don't who made the mistake (ANN or the panelists) but the est em matador yaoi manga from Deux Press is Red Blinds the Foolish. Age Called Blue was a Netcomics release.
RestLessone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:26 am Reply with quote
Oh yes, I must definitely check out Peepo Choo. The release date for the first volume just slipped by me.

Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Parsifal24 wrote:

Exactly. Seriously, it's as simple as it looks. There isn't a deep psychological plot and the characters aren't putting on a act to hide anything.

It's a show about a day and a life in a cat's life, as well as her family. Some people are trying to compare this series to deep psychological series like Neon Genesis Evagellion.

It's not a complex show and won't ever be one.

People are really going that far?

I recently bought Chi's Sweet Home and really enjoyed it...But I'm not reading it for a deep story that explores emotions and whatnot. I'm reading it because I love cats, it's cute, and, having owned cats myself, I'm able to relate to the family. Sure, it was sad when Chi couldn't get back to her mother, but it altogether didn't make me feel too unhappy.
lys

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 12:19 pm Reply with quote
Er, I took the thing about the "darkness" of Chi's Sweet Home as a joke by the speaker (based on this article; I wasn't actually at the panel or SDCC). I'd have a hard time believing anyone actually thinks of it as a dark, psychological story.

...right?
poonk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Thompson moved on to Togainu no Chi, who suggested that manga based on visual novels and dating sims are generally bad regardless of whether the game was originally created for men or women. He also decried the manga's "boys love" label because the men never had romantic relations.
(emphasis mine)

Yeah, I'd heard that they'd excised the BL elements for the manga which is why, although I'm interested in the game (if it ever gets licensed-- I'm too inexperienced/lazy to mess with an English patch) and its merchandise, I never bought into the manga series. It kind of makes me wonder if they're going to do something similar to the upcoming anime. Confused
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 5:26 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz Media's release of Fumi Yoshinaga's Ōoku was voted for next, and although Butcher loves Yoshinaga and has wanted the series forever, he declared that he hates the translation, which has the characters speaking in pseudo-medieval speech.

I could not have put it better myself. I read the first volume in Japanese, got really excited when I heard Viz was releasing it, then read about 20 pages of the actual release before throwing the book across the room and writing one of the angriest private livejournal posts I have ever written, which is saying something.

This discussion of course gives me more titles to look up. Ah well, at least I'm under 10 holds at the library by now.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:02 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:
Er, I took the thing about the "darkness" of Chi's Sweet Home as a joke by the speaker (based on this article; I wasn't actually at the panel or SDCC). I'd have a hard time believing anyone actually thinks of it as a dark, psychological story.

...right?

I would not be surprised in the very least if there people that do believe Chi may be a dark, psychological story. Don't ask me how, given the fact the darkest event that happened in the series is season two series finale or the fact Chi somehow got into a garbage can and a minute later was saved.

Have I seen light hearted series go totally dark? Yup, twice. Except in this case, the series is really all about the kitten Chi and her adventures(or in some episodes misadventures.)

Though there was an episode in the second season where Chi walked in mud and made the floor and some then clean shirts dirty, so I guess you can consider that dark if you really want to.
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 6:59 pm Reply with quote
Lys wrote:

...right?

No, he was dead serious. He kept going back to that forgetting his mother's face & the whole cat perspective. I seem to recall a comparison was made to dark Japanese humor. Somone complained any book that devoted 14 pages to liking tuna was too much.

The comparison was he expected Garfield & this was a bit darker than the usual cute kitty story. The humans occupy a strange place in the cat's universe
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:31 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Lys wrote:

...right?

No, he was dead serious. He kept going back to that forgetting his mother's face & the whole cat perspective. I seem to recall a comparison was made to dark Japanese humor. Someone complained any book that devoted 14 pages to liking tuna was too much.

The comparison was he expected Garfield & this was a bit darker than the usual cute kitty story. The humans occupy a strange place in the cat's universe

Yet, spoiler[ in the second season, she nearly entirely forgets about her mother and pretty much moves on to her new family. ]

Granted, this series may have dark moments, since each episode is only three minutes long and is G rated for the most part, it's safe to say it's not disturbingly dark or ultra depressing.

Yes spoiler[ she never is reunited with her mother, but she gains a new family that cares and feeds her.]

Besides, wouldn't the manga/anime be rather boring if she never separated from her mother?
bleachj0j

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:04 pm Reply with quote
I agree Kekkaishi is underrated better than bleach or Inuyasha in my opinon. Too bad she got booed for no reason.
Player No. 3

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:19 pm Reply with quote
I don't hate Ooku's translation as much as I find it annoying. The quasi-Shakespeare sounds nice, but it seriously hinders the comprehensibility of the characters, though I did chuckle at an exclamation of "ZOUNDS!" (or was it "FORSOOTH!"?)
It's still a very good series, especially the eye for historical detail.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2