• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hunter x Hunter Manga's Longest Uninterrupted Run to End

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Primus

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:09 am Reply with quote
The movie announcement was so that you guys could be prepped for bad news.

Jeeze Togashi.
Iononion

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:28 am Reply with quote
NOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooo.................!!

Evil. Just plain evil.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:19 am Reply with quote
Seriously, why hasn't he been fired?!

At least with Miura you can see that he's put that hard work into beserk so he deserves that break.

Togashi's work's resembled scribbles for the longest time. Good manga's come and died prematurely in jump (MxO, Double Arts, that zoo manga I can't remember the name of) whilst this hack gets run roughshaoud?!

This is why Sunday is the better publication.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 4:47 am Reply with quote
Because as a writer he is freelance and as long as his work sells, regardless when he works on it, his publishers will continue to print it. Also he might have told his publishers the reasons for his haituses and they may be more understanding than some random, uninformed guy on the internet.
Asuron

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:00 am Reply with quote
The only reason they keep him on, even after the massive breaks he takes and the crap drawings he does( he returned to scribbled drawings for the last couple of chapters he's done, but a massive improvement was seen during the current run) is because his volumes always sell well.

Each and every time and now with a successful anime reboot, you can bet the sales will be even better. Thats it, thats all there is to his job security. Anyone else who got as sloppy and lazy as he did would be out on their ass, but he kept it because of the money he rakes in.

Now I don't know if he's ill or lazy or whatever, since its never been very clear, but I do know I can live with the hiatus, because it just came off the back of one the best arcs the series has.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:54 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Because as a writer he is freelance and as long as his work sells, regardless when he works on it, his publishers will continue to print it. Also he might have told his publishers the reasons for his haituses and they may be more understanding than some random, uninformed guy on the internet.
I can only work with what I'm given. And that's a dood who seems to come from and disapear into the ether every couple of months to scribble down vauge outlines of Gon et all.

With no information, I can only assume it's because he's a lazy so and so.

But seriously, everyone's guilty of allowing this sort of behavior; Jump shouldn't be running his series anymore, Togashi should pull his finger out and the japanese public need to grow a goddamned spine.
ArsenicSteel

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:07 am Reply with quote
Tough talk for someone who's completely blinded by their own opinion. Why don't you let the folks in the know handle their business instead of ascribing guilt over something you know nothing about.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:24 am Reply with quote
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Tough talk for someone who's completely blinded by their own opinion. Why don't you let the folks in the know handle their business instead of ascribing guilt over something you know nothing about.
Clearly they don't know how to run thier business because theier non willingness to ever divulge why they're allowing Togashi to slack off as he has (and I have to assume that because they certainly haven't commented otherwise) has lead me to make the conclusion that they'd rather keep a slacker on board than actively work to make the above series work. I mean only now has Kubo been told to pack his own special brand of nonsense in.

Jump have the means to make this all go away and yet they still would rather be painted with the tar. I have no sympathy.

Last edited by ConanSan on Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Polycell

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:28 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Clearly they don't know how to run thier business because theier non willingness to ever divulge why they're allowing Togashi to slack off as he has (and I have to assume that because they certainly haven't commented otherwise).

Jump have the means to make this all go away and yet they still would rather be painted with the tar. I have no sympathy.
Really? Are you that self-centered/naive? The series sells like gangbusters, so as long as these hiatuses stay shortish they've got no reason to worry, not even about the opinion of random pseudonyms on the internets.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:34 am Reply with quote
Polycell wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Clearly they don't know how to run thier business because theier non willingness to ever divulge why they're allowing Togashi to slack off as he has (and I have to assume that because they certainly haven't commented otherwise).

Really? Are you that self-centered/naive? The series sells like gangbusters, so as long as these hiatuses stay shortish they've got no reason to worry, not even about the opinion of random pseudonyms on the internets.
Says another random pseudonym on the internet.

The fact is, Togashi is using up a slot that, from what I know and I could be totally off, is somewhat hard to get in the first place and in any other decent area of media, he'd have his backside punted out the door so hard he'd achieve escape velocity.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:35 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
ArsenicSteel wrote:
Clearly they don't know how to run thier business because theier non willingness to ever divulge why they're allowing Togashi to slack off as he has (and I have to assume that because they certainly haven't commented otherwise) has lead me to make the conclusion that they'd rather keep a slacker on board than actively work to make the above series work. I mean only now has Kubo been told to pack his own special brand of nonsense in.

The Hunter X Hunter volumes sell over a million copies. Only Naruto and One Piece manage that feat as far as Jump series go. If his stuff wasn't popular then they would have fired him ages ago. As long as his stuff keeps selling there is no way Shueisha is going to kick him off Jump.

Besides, at least this hiatus came at a time afer an arc actually (for the most part) concluded. Last couple of times it was with cliffhangers.
Divineking

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:53 am Reply with quote
Can't say I;m not dissapointed but I'm not surprised either. The new Dragon Quest is coming out soon in Japan so I figured it was only a matter of time before he took another break. At least he wrapped up two arcs this time so it's not too bad overall.

Hopefully it won't be too long a hiatus though.
nargun

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:04 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
The fact is, Togashi is using up a slot that, from what I know and I could be totally off, is somewhat hard to get in the first place and in any other decent area of media, he'd have his backside punted out the door so hard he'd achieve escape velocity.

I'm confused. I read this, and I'm not sure whether I should read it as presenting the editorial staff of Jump as soooo hard-bitten that they're unfairly giving Togashi a place he doesn't "deserve", or complaining that they're so compassionate to Togashi's undeserving soul that even Kuan Yin is thinking they're taking it a bit too far.
vulcanraven01

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:05 am Reply with quote
As long as it's not a major break then I'm not too bothered.
I just assumed that with the new anime reboot, the guy was going to be finishing off the manga. Guess again!
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:50 am Reply with quote
I am loving the anime reboot, as for the manga, I have not read it. However I will say at least he comes back to it very often unlike NANA's author, who left it with you being able to see the ending but not able to see how one piece ends up happening (stupid flash forward segments).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4