• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Podcast of 1000 Questions with Jason Thompson

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kpk

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:21 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Tuxedocat, none of that sarcastic, "f-you Shonen Jump Alpha," attitude is necessary, okay?

My sarcasm was directed at the guy who stated as fact that "Naruto was ending within this year". Anime dazed

Confused

I said probably...

"The manga will probably end by the end of this year"

Rolling Eyes
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:06 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:
Tuxedocat, none of that sarcastic, "f-you Shonen Jump Alpha," attitude is necessary, okay?

What are you talking about? I never said "f-you Shonen Jump Alpha". I just said I wasn't going to pay a subscription fee to read one article.

The words you actually said wasn't necessarily what I meant so much as the attitude behind it that I was getting at. Even if you didn't literally type it, the vibe I got was "screw the Shonen Jump Alpha subscriptions! I'm not gonna pay just to read a losuy interview." That was what it came off as. Or maybe I read too negatively into or something, I dunno. It's kinda hard not to read negatively into it at this point when everyone made the same 3 opinions about WSJA the instant it launched over and over again.

sainta wrote:
I also read that interview. It was a nice reading. It explained some nice things about Kishimoto such as that he became a father during the series' publication which resulted in the explanation of what happened with Naruto Uzumaki's parents, and how Naruto learned he was loved. It also mentioned things about how Kishimoto's knowledge of war as his grandparents lived in Hiroshima.

I was still surprised he became a father. None of his author's notes seemed to mention anything about it. That may be partly why the he held off mentioning much else about Naruto's parents or rather wanted to introduce them the way he did by spoiler[interacting with Naruto in the 9-Tail's chamber.] I can't help but appreciate an artist more when he/she actually thoroughly applies human relationships grounded to reality once they expiereince the feeling themselves as oppose to just guessing or making it up.

The mentioning of his Grandparents having also intrigued me and how he applied what he learned about perspectives of war into his story. Although to correct you, they lived in Okayama not Hiroshima. Okayama is next to Hiroshima as he stated. It's also cool being aware how he recently seen the Tin Tin movie and How to Train Your Dragon, the latter of which I saw myself. And as someone who needs influences and inspiration for his artwork, I actually want to dare myself to listen to different emotional songs as I draw just to see what happens.
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
kpk wrote:
Kishi also said Naruto is near it's end.

The manga will probably end by the end of this year and the Anime will end sometime by the end of next year.

So both Bleach and Naruto will end in the next two years, and then what?

What will replace them?!

Fairly Tail, Sket Dance, Beezlebub, Toriko do you need me to go on??

lol those are not replacing Bleach and Naruto. they don' even sell enough to hold the manga market together. Bleach can end because it's not selling 1 millions per vol like it used to.

If Naurto and One Piece are gone after this month, the Japanese manga market sale probably goes down by 10% or more.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:16 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
If Naurto and One Piece are gone after this month, the Japanese manga market sale probably goes down by 10% or more.

If not more. Manga rankings in Japan are like Claymore rankings. To match #1 you have to combine like 2-20.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:20 am Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
tuxedocat wrote:
Hypeathon wrote:

What are you talking about? I never said "f-you Shonen Jump Alpha". I just said I wasn't going to pay a subscription fee to read one article.

The words you actually said wasn't necessarily what I meant so much as the attitude behind it that I was getting at. Even if you didn't literally type it, the vibe I got was "screw the Shonen Jump Alpha subscriptions! I'm not gonna pay just to read a losuy interview." That was what it came off as. Or maybe I read too negatively into or something, I dunno. It's kinda hard not to read negatively into it at this point when everyone made the same 3 opinions about WSJA the instant it launched over and over again..

Really, truly, that wasn't my attitude at all. You were reading something into it that wasn't happening in my corner at all. Actually, i didn't know they were doing an online periodical before last night.

In fact, I usually support these kinds of things money-wise. I have paid subscriptions at J-Manga, TAN, Funimation and Crunchyroll, and hardly ever have the time to watch them, but still I show my support with monthly subscriptions. Seeing as how I would never have the time for this one, I didn't see the point in subscribing in order to read only one article. I just don't have the time. Print is more my thing for now. Viz gets my support via my purchase of their books (Natsume's Book of Friends, House of Five Leaves, 20th Century Boys, Story of Saiunkoku etc.) in print form. I have shelves full of their stuff, some of it, sadly, unread since I have limited free time. Sad
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 4:16 am Reply with quote
Spotlesseden wrote:
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
kpk wrote:
Kishi also said Naruto is near it's end.

The manga will probably end by the end of this year and the Anime will end sometime by the end of next year.

So both Bleach and Naruto will end in the next two years, and then what?

What will replace them?!

Fairly Tail, Sket Dance, Beezlebub, Toriko do you need me to go on??

lol those are not replacing Bleach and Naruto. they don' even sell enough to hold the manga market together. Bleach can end because it's not selling 1 millions per vol like it used to.

Though I feel like for anything to reach that same capacity either of the top three have to end. The mindshare these titles hold is too big for something to competently be able to have at the same time without the same legacy.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:51 am Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Really, truly, that wasn't my attitude at all. You were reading something into it that wasn't happening in my corner at all. Actually, i didn't know they were doing an online periodical before last night.

I read the following from your previous posts that implied something at least sarcastic if not referring to something regarding Shonen Jump which made me think, "okay really man? Do we need to go there?"
Quote:
Wow! That's news!!

I haven't seen this reported on ANN or any other anime news source!!!

You should provide a link to the article and e-mail ANN's new dept. ASAP!!!!

[/sarcasmlulz]

Quote:
How nice of you to take over trolling for the other guy, who is suddenly MIA.

The link provided leads to a subscription page. I'm not paying a fee just to read about when, or if, this cash cow will be set out to pasture. Why doesn't the guy (or you) email a direct link to ANN's news department and let them verify it? They have the contacts to verify the information.

I'll only believe it if I see it here at ANN on the news page.

Forget for one minute whether you support VIZ or the anime industry in general or not. While what you do is really cool and all, it is not my point. The problem I really had wasn't so much a SJA hate as it was this hard-headed disbelief behind what a different user said and replying back and forth in a really unecessary attitude. If for whatever reason I'm still mistaken, then you're gonna need to explain to me (and probably through a pm from this point on) what you really meant behind all the eye-rolling, "sarcasmlulz", easily claiming two users were trolling, and flat-out saying you won't believe it until you specifically see it on ANN. Either you explain that or we don't need to keep this conversation going any further. I already quoted the very part mentioned about Masashi Kishimoto being close to the climax of Naruto, you got your answer, and unless you can really clarify things, we don't need to drag this on, okay?
Proman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:46 pm Reply with quote
It's amazing, really, how quickly so called "experts" and "fans" are willing to call someone as huge as Rumiko Takahashi as "done".

Rinne may not have been a huge hit but that's one series in Takahashi's entire that output, pretty much, that failed to catch fire. That is a tremendous track record. And it's sort of sickening how this gets mistreprented.

And make no mistake, it does have audience just like there were some people who actually liked the fact that "Inuyasha" kept on going. It's a different sort of experience.

Well, dear podcasters, your opinion on Rumiko Takahashi is neither definitive nor representative.

She continues to write annual short stories and I am sure she's got plenty of ideas and many more great works that she will make.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:17 pm Reply with quote
Proman wrote:

Well, dear podcasters, your opinion on Rumiko Takahashi is neither definitive nor representative.

Oh right, I forgot that part of the podcast where we insisted our opinion on the matter was all-encompassing, the final word. How egotistical of us!
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Hypeathon wrote:
The problem I really had wasn't so much a SJA hate as it was this hard-headed disbelief behind what a different user said and replying back and forth in a really unecessary attitude. If for whatever reason I'm still mistaken, then you're gonna need to explain to me (and probably through a pm from this point on) what you really meant behind all the eye-rolling, "sarcasmlulz", easily claiming two users were trolling, and flat-out saying you won't believe it until you specifically see it on ANN.

1. Yeah. I posted my original remark because the statement "Naruto is ending" has been used to troll the Naruto fans for years. Just go google the term "Naruto is ending", and you'll see what I mean. My results showed this going back to at least 2006, and that was just on the first page. So yeah, I thought these guys were trolling. It's not like it hasn't been done before. *sigh*

2. There is a big difference between "approaching its climax" and "ending". Who knows how long this is going to take, and whether he will continue it with another time-skip ("Naruto - Hokage Gaiden", anyone?). The manga is still a huge cash-cow, and no definitive end has truly been announced. For example, who knows how long this final arc of Bleach is going to last? --I've seen people speculating another 10 years!!. So I've learned to take these things with a huge boulder of salt. It is impossible to predict stuff like this, and doing so only serves to upset people (That is the purpose of trolling, no?)

Yeah, the internet has turned me into a cynic. I only believe it anymore when I see artlcles like this:

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2011-03-29/kekkaishi-manga-to-end-in-japan-on-april-6
xBTAx

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 2:59 pm Reply with quote
I imagine the person who asked about the Eva doujinshi was talking about things like (and perhaps, specifically) RE-TAKE, not just any random Eva doujin. Of course, placing enough value on a fanwork to mention it in a book like that, even if its value is based on popularity... you'd want to stick with official stuff, yeah.
Hypeathon

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 3:13 pm Reply with quote
tuxedocat wrote:
Yeah, the internet has turned me into a cynic.

Well bottom line, if you believe me, then you believe me. If you don't, then oh well.
O-chan

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 pm Reply with quote
I particularly focused on the Rumiko Takahashi part of the podcast and I agree with Jason 100%. Since Rumiko Takahashi's Ranma pioneered my love of anime I feel the main problem is that she's stuck in the Anime Boom days of fan appeal (and I'm referring to Japan in this case). Throughout Urusei Yatsura through early Inuyasha she often pioneered genres and kept her writing and characterization fresh. One of the things that made Inuyasha originally appealing was how it seems to be a mix of her comedy Shonen and her Mermaid's Saga horror storytelling devices. When the initial arcs of Kikyo and Naraku came to light it felt like a distinct change from everything she did before adding a since of melancholy to the manga...then it went on forever.

I'll always feel that her peak was during the days when she wrote both Urusei Yatsura and Maison Ikkoku at the same time. During that point in time she was working on two manga that, at their finales, had some very strong artwork. During that time the Rumic World and Rumic Theater stories she put out covered a great range of topics and genres. Then there was Mermaid Saga and One Pound Gospel, even if their narratives were somewhat repetitive you got to give her credit for trying out different storytelling styles.

But somewhere around Ranma 1/2 she fell into a rut of running stories into the ground. It wasn't too bad with Ranma, but Inuyasha definitely tried people's patience. This is also the problem I have with Bleach, it didn't watch it's pacing.

Ultimately, Rin-ne's failure is that Takahashi is sticking with what she knows. The problem is what she knows is something her fandom outgrew quite a few years ago. Stuff like Ranma and Urusei Yatsura can still be perceived as funny because they are representatives of their eras. Inuyasha still has the credit of being the one series that gave Takahashi worldwide appeal. Rin-ne is a basically a Rumiko Takahashi version of Bleach.

In the end I think she needs to take a breather and maybe look into what appeals to modern manga readers.

O-chan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
arromdee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:08 pm Reply with quote
There is a Devilman babies series. Look up "CB Chara Go Nagai World".
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3