ANN Staff and Industry Blogs

Bloggers:
Archives:
RSS 2.0 feedSubscribe to Zac Bertschy's blog feed
Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by Zac Bertschy on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:03 pm
Hi, this blog is for cataloging all the weird, offbeat or stupid stuff I'll see at Anime Expo 2008. Anime conventions are full of weird and stupid stuff that never gets reported, so you're through the looking glass now, people.

This year they're offering shuttle buses to take people back and forth from the ridiculously large LA Convention Center to the 10 convention hotels and points beyond, and so far it's working remarkably well, unless you consider that boarding one of these buses means you're crammed in shoulder to shoulder with a bunch of teenagers wearing cat ears rickrolling the bus at the top of their precious little lungs.

This is the back of the head of a very large man wearing one of those little gothic lolita top hats. Note to everyone considering wearing one of these hats: everyone looks silly in them. A really hot girl wearing one of these things is guaranteed to be at least 30 percent less hot as a result.

Friends don't let friends wear these stupid hats.

LOL THE CAKE IS A LIE LOL STILL ALIVE WEIGHTED COMPANION CUBE AHAHHA CAKE IS A LIEEEEEE

Never before have I seen a really good video game instantly chewed up and spat out as a bunch of lame tired catchphrases.
I don't know what the Cylon mask is about.

A helpful note to aspiring press: if you want people in the industry to take you seriously, do not wear a Bleach hat covered in anime pins. They will laugh at you.

Look, it's the manga event of the year! Everyone's waiting for it, frothing at the mouth, tearing their hair out!

Wait, what the hell is "07-Ghost"?

SIGN OF THE TIMES #1:

This is the Deviantart booth, covered in expensive plasma screens, displaying the delightful furry anime Star Trek – Lord of the Rings slash fanart people submit to the site. It is a surprisingly decadent booth, one of the larger booths on the floor, for a website like Deviantart.

Meanwhile, this is the ADV booth. This photo was taken during initial setup, so I have to assume they don’t have everything set up yet, but it’s a far cry from what the big extravagant booths they used to have.
We’ll see what happens from here.

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by Earl_of_Poison on Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:52 pm
heh, I do believe I know who that man in the hat is. O.O

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by samuelp on Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:17 pm
It's been revealed at ADV's sneak peek panel that that "booth" you see is just a standard anime DVD vendor owned by one of ADV's staff, and ADV loaned them the space in order to not give up the spot for the next year (probably too late to ask for a refund Smile ).

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by GATSU on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:17 am
I'm just curious how they can afford the shuttles, given the gas prices...

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by PantsGoblin on Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:24 am
A few things.

I find the gothic lolita hats attractive (on girls). It depends on what type of girl wears it though.

I hate people who choose to cosplay as memes. It completely violates rules #1 & 2.

I'm glad I wasn't the only one who thought "wtf" to that 07-Ghost poster.

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by Mindless Watcher on Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:34 am
From the first entry: "Still, every 4th of July weekend, I stop being so jaded and cyncial for a few days"

Yeah, it's obvious ... Rolling Eyes

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by Zac on Fri Jul 04, 2008 11:08 am
Dear genius forums user "Mindless Watcher",

The entry you're quoting is a year old.

Thanks for reading!!

Re: Weird Stuff I Saw At Anime Expo 2008
by Mindless Watcher on Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:37 pm
In other words, the tradition ended and now you're jaded and cynical all year round.