ANN Staff and Industry Blogs

Bloggers:
Archives:
RSS 2.0 feedSubscribe to Zac Bertschy's blog feed
Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by Zac Bertschy on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:40 pm
It’s that time again!

This is the AX tabletop gaming room. Walking past it is a real gamble; it is obviously the stinkiest room in the convention center. It is believed by some that this room is the source of 95 percent of the unpleasant whiff that is plaguing certain areas of the con this year. A peek inside reveals its inhabitants: proud though they are, people who come to anime conventions to play Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering are unquestionably the nerdiest among us.

A giant pack of dudes in matching dance-team style tee-shirts decided that they wanted to display their amazing backflips and jump kicks and breakdancing moves right in the god damn middle of a crowded exhibit hall intersection in the middle of the busiest day of the weekend.

It’s not enough to showboat your backflipping skills in public, you have to ensure everyone watches by being a gigantic inconvenience.

Attendee registration: $60.

Parking: $25.

Convention Center Lunch: $17.

The chance to try on a hat worn by countless sweaty otaku who may or may not have contagious scalp problems: Priceless.

I guess this is kinda like those glass-walled sex shows they have in Amsterdam, except instead of European hookers it’s a bunch of nerds playing Dragonforce on Rock Band.

I know which one I’d pay to see!

This is the line for the David Hayter autograph session, wherein the famous voice actor will use approximately 2 gallons of Purell.

This handsome sign is positioned next to the stairs leading down to the arcade; they have a green screen and a camera set up. It’s kinda like those kiosks they have at Disneyland where you can have you and your spouse’s heads superimposed over Star Wars movie posters, except this is about 5,000 times dorkier than that, which is really saying something.

Figured I’d provide some evidence to back up my last claim there.

I think I can decipher what this guy’s thought process was:
“Hm. I know people look silly playing Dance Dance Revolution, but how I can I break the barrier from looking silly to looking completely ridiculous? Wait, I know! I’ll wear this intensely goofy anime hat! EUREKA!”

To be fair though this guy was really good at DDR so he can probably afford to look a little extra silly.

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl on Sat Jul 05, 2008 5:22 pm
Zac wrote:
Attendee registration: $60.

Parking: $25.

Convention Center Lunch: $17.

Laughing I knew where this was going as soon as I read the first line, heh, heh. Oh, man....as if the description about the gaming room wasn't bad enough. Definitely makes cons seem rather unattractive. One of many reasons I am more than content to stay away from the crowded scene and rely on ANN for con news.

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by Dargonxtc on Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:23 pm
Wow, considering all the dirt and soap remarks, this AX must have been really disgusting.

Or is that just a little OCD hypochondria setting in?

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by bob_loblaw on Sat Jul 05, 2008 10:18 pm
I think someone could make a killing selling body wash and antibacterial foam/hand-sanitizer in the exhibit hall. Just not body-sprays. Anything but those; they actually make the funk a thousand times worse, if that's even possible.

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by GATSU on Sun Jul 06, 2008 1:12 am
I never did make the Hayter thing. Too big a turn-out. I know the Japanese guests weren't especially big this year, but I didn't think Hayter would be that popular.

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by DavidShallcross on Sun Jul 06, 2008 3:46 pm
They just need to set up a bath house. With good marketing, a lot of otaku will get clean before they realize that the anime bath-house cliches don't happen in real life. Hot springs would be even better, but they are much less common in North America than in Japan.

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by Eos on Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:58 pm
Silly Zac, Dragonforce is Guitar Hero. Razz

The thing I don't understand about con gaming (video or tabletop), is why do something that you can do at home at a con? Playing new people in King of Fighters might be nice, but spending the con doing what normally occupies your weekends seems like a waste.

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by tdmonster on Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:33 am
Quote:

I can't believe how fvcking stupid and ignorant this comment is. If it was such an inconvenience. Why did people stop to watch and applaud the hard work put into this? I think some ones mad because they have no athletic ability *looks at author*

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by Zac on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:04 am
tdmonster wrote:

OH SNAP

I GOT SERVED

Re: Weird Stuff III: Inferior Third Sequel
by tdmonster on Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:16 am
Well c'mon man, it doesn't even seem like anyone saw it as an inconvenience. But I guess I lashed out a little more than I should have.