Columns - October 2011
- Shelf Life - Sending out an SOS ()
- Astro Toy - SH Figuarts Wild Tiger ()
- Gia's List: Anime's 7 Best Frenemies ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 ep 3: We are friends, aren't we? ()
- UK Premiere: Maken-ki! 1-2 (s) ()
- ANNCast - Tarboxed and Feathered ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Hey, Censorman! ()
- UK Premiere: Un-Go 3 - Masked Mansion ()
- Australian Premiere: Un-Go 3 - Masked Mansion ()
- UK Premiere: Mirai Nikki 1-2 ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Special Guest Edition: Basara ()
- The X Button - War of the Gems ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2011-10-26 ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Afterschool Bride ()
- Shelf Life - Space Invaders ()
- The Mike Toole Show - Anime... Or Not?! ()
- Gia's List: 7 Anime Drivers Who Will Probably Get You Killed ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Funico in the Island of Magic ()
- UK Premiere: Un-Go 2 - Pitiless Song ()
- Australian premiere: Un-Go 2 - Pitiless Song ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Alien Nine ()
- If, Then, Or: One Piece ()
- Astro Toy - Nendoroid Madoka Kaname ()
- Gia's List: The 8 Most Intriguing Uses of Western Music in Anime ()
- ANNCast - Omega Men at Work ()
- Hey, Answerman! - Occupy Anime Street ()
- Australian Premiere: Un-Go 1 - Murder at the Ball ()
- UK Premiere: Un-Go 1 - Murder at the Ball ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 The Animation 2 - The Contractor's Key ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Manga and Mega Comics ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2011-10-12 ()
- The X Button - Animal Collective ()
- RIGHT TURN ONLY!! - Lights and Psyren ()
- Shelf Life - Magnificent Eleven ()
- The Mike Toole Show - ShopTales ()
- UK Premiere: R15 11 - Our Summertime Blues ()
- UK Premiere: Nichijou 26 (final) ()
- Hey, Answerman! - We Can't Have Nice Things ()
- ANNCast - Learning by Osmond-sis ()
- UK Premiere: Persona 4 The Animation 1 - You're myself, I'm yourself ()
- UK Premiere: Twin Angel Twinkle Paradise 11-12 (final) ()
- Jason Thompson's House of 1000 Manga - Azumanga Daioh ()
- The X Button - Sound Attack ()
- Anime News Nina! - 2011-10-05 ()
- If, Then, Or: Highschool of the Dead ()
- Shelf Life - How to Train Your Dragon ()
- Astro Toy - Figma Kaiji Itou ()
- Gia's List: 8 Anime Dogs You'd Want to Adopt ()
Nick and Micchy have a lot to chew on this week as the tension ramps up in everything from Re:Creators to My Hero Academia, and even Boruto and The Eccentric Family! Plus, just what the heck is Heybot, anyway? ― Previous Weeks in Anime Week 1 - Week 2 - Week 3 - Week 4 Nicholas Dupree got into anime in high school, and manga even earlier. From One Piece to The Promised Neverland, he's the man to talk...
just for fun
Going to comic-con is EXTREMELY serious business - at least, according to Perry. ―
Appearing on Netflix at the same time as its theatrical premiere, this sci fi thriller from Polygon Pictures boasts more flair than bite. Theron Martin has the details. ― With Tsutomu Nihei's Knights of Sidonia manga being adapted into a CG anime series, it's no wonder that there would be interest in adapting his earliest project: the 1998 cyberpunk manga Blame! Although it was adapted into a series ...
You see it all the time in anime - the radio plays simple instructions and folks gather to do some basic calisthenics. Is that really a thing in Japan? ― Matt asks: Anime often depict radio calisthenics as something geared toward children or older people, but everyone always appears aware of what it is. Are radio calisthenics as ubiquitous as they appear? And what made them so popular? Radio Taisou,...
Gabriella Ekens discovers pleasant surprises and wicked twists from this CG adaptation of the popular thriller manga, and Paul runs down all this week's new anime releases! ― With the latest season of Natsume's Book of Friends earning high marks, I decided it was finally time to give the series a try. I'm watching it from the beginning, so I'm a few episodes into the first season as I write this. I'...
An entire classroom is transported to another world in this isekai series, and its protagonist must go about getting superpowers the hard way. Rebecca Silverman investigates. ― If there's one thing that sets Arifureta apart from its fellow isekai stories, it's that in this case, an entire high school class is transported to another world, not just one lucky young individual. Not only does this make t...
We check back in with Asuna on the real-world side of things for the first time in the Alicization arc, as the mysteries behind this new virtual world begin to unravel. ― Whatever criticisms might be leveled against SAO creator Reki Kawahara, lack of ambition when it comes to imagining applications for virtual technology isn't one of them. The Soul Transfer Engine that was introduced in the last nove...
See the talents at PiLi and Nitroplus show off their amazing puppetry from this year's Sakura-Con, as they answer our questions about the future of Thunderbolt Fantasy! ― This year, Sakuracon brought over the folks behind Thunderbolt Fantasy, 2016's fantasy adventure series about chivalry, puppets, and swords. This show was the wider world's introduction to PiLi, the superstar Taiwanese film studio k...
Sometimes it takes a bad guy to do a good guy's job! These six anime heels embraced the glory of being hero for a day in this Classic edition of The List. ― This week is a repeat! Sometimes antagonists can turn a new leaf and become the anti-hero we all deserve. Take a look at these six examples. The heroes might be the stars of the show, but a work of fiction is really made by an awesome antagonist...
This scattered volume proves that basing a manga on a Vocaloid song might not be the best idea. Rebecca Silverman explains why. ― Like Kagerou Daze, Bad End Night is based on a Vocaloid song. Unfortunately, that appears to be a premise too thin for an entire volume of manga, much less a series, and this volume can't quite decide if it's a mystery, a spoof on the “bad endings” of visual novels, or sel...