Interest - January 2011
- 1st One Piece Chapter's Original Art Boards Reproduced ()
- Synthpop's YMO to Hold 1st L.A. Concert in 32 Years ()
- Daily Cosplay: Disgaea's Fallen Angel Flonne ()
- Dengeki's Favorite Anime Director Survey ()
- Gundam Lookalike Statue Reappears with Changes ()
- Sephora Cosmetics Launches U.S. Hello Kitty Line ()
- Daily Cosplay: xxxHOLiC'sYuko Ichihara ()
- Ex-Morning Musume Mari Yaguchi Designs New Digimon ()
- Animator Shota Sakamoto's "Henshin Gattai!" Streamed ()
- TV Tokyo, Pat Lee, China's Carloon Make Train Hero Show ()
- Producer of 4°C-Animated ThunderCats Interviewed ()
- Daily Videos: Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts Promos ()
- Daily Cosplay: Death Note's Misa Amane ()
- Sony Announces PSP Successor, Codenamed NGP ()
- Aquaplus Reveals Utawarerumono 2, Tears to Tiara 2 Games ()
- Jpop Girl Group Berryz Kobo Plans 1st U.S. Album ()
- Life-Size EVA-02 Head, Evangelion Hotel Room Planned ()
- Yoshitoshi ABe Uses Drawing oStylus on iPad ()
- Daily Cosplay: K-On's Yui Hirasawa ()
- Maryland to Host Nujabes Tribute Event in February ()
- Daily Cosplay: Shugo Chara's Amu Hinamori ()
- Vocalonexus is 2nd Vocaloid Album to Top Weekly Chart ()
- Daily Cosplay: Naruto's Naruto Uzumaki ()
- Hikaru Utada Praises Synthesized Version of Herself ()
- Akiba's Pedestrian Paradise Returns with Record 100,000 ()
- Squid Girl Producer Posts, Deletes Blog on Index Parody ()
- Hayao Miyazaki Does Volunteer Work at 'Totoro's Forest' ()
- Cobs' Japanese Survey of Favorite Anime Food ()
- Head-Popping Yotsuba&! USB Drive Offered in Japan ()
- Panty & Stocking Town Appears on Adult Swim Forums ()
- Daily Cosplay: Moetan's Ink Nijihara ()
- Daily Video: Gundam: The 3D Battle Trailer Streamed ()
- Oreimo's In-Anime Game Siscalypse Offered in Japan ()
- PS3/PSP Haruhi Recreates 'God Knows…' Concert in CG ()
- 2 Arrested for Selling Modified Kamen Rider Figure ()
- NY Children's Film Fest Auctions Off Anime Vacation ()
- Website Sells Plush Hat Based On 'Kumaa' Meme ()
- Daily Cosplay: Chobits' Chi ()
- 2011 Super Sentai Film Unites 199 Heroes/Rangers From All 35 Years ()
- How to Make Your Own Totoro/Hello Kitty Mug ()
- Final Fantasy XIII-2 PS3 & 360 RPG Sequel Announced ()
- Daily Cosplay: Excel Saga Director Nabeshin ()
- Manga-Creation Software ComiPo! Demonstrated ()
- Daily Video: Bandai Battle Break Game's Anime Promo ()
- Evangelion Plug Suit-Based Wetsuits for Sale in Japan ()
- Daily Cosplay: The World God Only Knows's Keima ()
- Ranma 1/2, Speed Racer Get Pachinko/Pachislo Games ()
- X Japan's Yoshiki, Stan Lee Attended Golden Globes ()
- Daily Cosplay: Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan's Dokuro ()
- Daily Video: 2nd Kimi ni Todoke DS Game Trailer ()
- Fans Launch 'Keep Anime Alive' Pro-Industry Site ()
- Zelda's Himekawa Interviewed on Arabic Graphic Novel ()
- Cobs' Japanese Survey of Favorite Manga Weapon/Move ()
- Pac-Man Reality TV Show in Development ()
- K-On, Doraemon Help Push Tiger Mask Donations Past 700 ()
- Stitch to Reunite with Lilo on 3rd Stitch TV Anime ()
- Koreans Speak Out Against K-Pop Boom Lies Manga ()
- Daily Cosplay: Durarara's Celty Sturluson ()
- Detective Conan Shirt Doubles as Black Org Face Mask ()
- Eva, Haruhi Heroes Donate to Tiger Mask Movement ()
- ANN Survey: Kuragehime is Favorite Anime of Fall 2010 ()
- Daily Video: Super Robot Wars Z II Promo Streamed ()
- Voltron 'Form Blazing Sword' Boxer Shorts for Sale ()
- 'Anime Babes' Burlesque Show Staged in Los Angeles ()
- Daily Cosplay: Sailor Moon's Usagi Tsukino (Serena) ()
- 100 Tiger Mask Donors Now Reported All Over Japan ()
- Multilingual Akihabara Guide App Released for iOS ()
- Daily Video: 30 Minutes of Yoshitoshi ABe's Coloring Streamed ()
- Daily Cosplay: Rozen Maiden's Suigintou ()
- Fan Posts Hello Kitty Anime Crossover Mockups ()
- X-Men Spinoff Writer Addresses Akira Similarities ()
- Tiger Mask Donors Strike Again in 8 More Cities ()
- Daily Video: Rurouni Kenshin PSP Game TV Ad ()
- Survey: What Was Your Favorite Fall Anime? ()
- Inception's Nolan, Black Swan's Aronofsky Get DGA Nods ()
- Signed K-On!! Guitar Gets 9,999,999,999-Yen 'Bid' ()
- Tiger Mask Manga/Anime Inspires 7th, 8th Donor ()
- Manga/Anime's Tiger Mask Inspires 4 More Gift-Givers ()
- Daily Video: Gakuen Hetalia Portable PSP Game Video ()
- Pockie Ninja Game Trailer Features Anime Lookalikes ()
- Manga/Anime's Tiger Mask Inspires Another Gift-Giver ()
- Gackt to Voice Guest Role in Supernatural Anime ()
- Daily Cosplay: Bleach's Ichigo, Hollow Form ()
- Daily Cosplay: Panty & Stocking's Stocking ()
- Studio 4°C-Animated Game Catherine's Gameplay Trailer ()
- Hayao Miyazaki Becomes Trending Topic on Twitter ()
- New Sailor Moon DS Game to Ship in Spring in Italy ()
- Super Robot Wars Z 2 PSP Game Adds Geass, Gurren ()
- NY Library's 4 Most Borrowed YA Titles Were Manga ()
- Monsters' Edwards Close to Deal on Godzilla Remake ()
- Daily Cosplay: Tsubasa Chronicle's Princess Sakura ()
- Aya Hirano Celebrates New Year at Lucky Star Shrine ()
- Cospa's Top-Selling Cosplay Outfits: 2010 ()
- Daily Cosplay: GN-0000 00 Gundam ()
- Daily Cosplay: Shogun Vader ()
- New Year's Greetings — Anime Style (Update 7) ()
- Daily Cosplay: Yatterman's Doronjo ()
Sentai Filmworks made a big announcement about phasing out DVDs forever - but why? Justin has a few ideas... ― Jake asked: I was reading a recent article that stated Sentai Filmworks was essentially phasing out their DVD releases by 2019 and are primarily going to release Blu-ray only with a few exceptions. I know you have got this question in the past on who buys DVD's Vs. Blu-rays which seems to b...
One of anime's most prolific screenwriters discusses his legacy of work on Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, and what it takes to succeed as a writer in the industry. ― Dai Sato is one of anime's most prolific and accomplished screenwriters. He was the series composer for Eureka Seven and Ergo Proxy, and also wrote individual episodes for numerous series including Cowb...
Many anime revolve around the lives of otaku and other oddballs, but how many actually get their depictions right? Paul Jensen shares his best recommendations. ― The video game-themed comedy Gamers! has drawn a fair amount of attention this season, and not just for its wicked sense of humor. This show seems to have a strength that many anime series try and fail to obtain; it feels like Gamers really ...
Samus is back in this expansive, extensive remake of Game Boy original Metroid II, but can it capture that old Metroid feeling? Dustin suits up to find out... ― There's a lot of bombast to a title like Samus Returns. Not just a nod to the original Metroid II subhead, this is indeed the return of Samus after an interminable hiatus for the Metroid franchise. It's been thirteen years since the last 2D M...
What did this anime about fictional characters confronting their makers have to say about the creative process? This week in anime, we tackle the conclusion of Sota and Altair's story. ― Re:CREATORS is a story about fictional characters meeting the people who created them, but just how far does its metafictional rabbit hole go? This week in anime, Micchy and Steve follow Sota and Altair's tale all th...
To call the end of Danganronpa "shocking" would be an understatement! Jacob Chapman takes on the controversial final chapter in this SPOILER-FREE review. ― Prior to the release of this (second?) conclusion to the main Danganronpa trilogy, series creator Kazutaka Kodaka was emphatic in several interviews that this "new semester" would be completely open to newcomers. While it would bring closure to th...
It may never grab the spotlight like other long-running JRPG series, but the Ys games have a long legacy and a strong pedigree. With a new game on the horizon, here's everything a beginner needs to know. ― At one time a premier role-playing franchise that stood toe-to-toe against the likes of Final Fantasy and Dragon Quest, a variety of factors prevented Nihon Falcom's Ys from achieving the mainstrea...
It's an original anime by Vampire Weekend frontman Ezra Koenig and famous actor Jaden Smith, along with a celebrity voice cast. What could possibly go wrong? Mike Toole investigates Netflix's latest original. ― They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account. That was what I thought after hearing Smith's character, Kaz, unwind the first of many bizarre pronouncements, in a bid...
You see it in the credits of anime blurays and DVDs all the time - but what does "video post-production" actually entail? Justin has the answer. ― Craig asked: Just finished watching the third Berserk film, The Advent and in the credits I saw your name. for Video post production. What exactly do you do in terms of post production(clean up, video/audio compression, restoration?)? Do all companies who...
Paul Jensen takes a look at the long-awaited blu-ray of Kyoto Animation's unusual mystery series, along with a rundown of this week's new anime releases! ― I went to a screening of Lupin III: The Castle of Cagliostro last week. It was my first time seeing the movie, and I have to say it was a blast. If you're a Lupin fan or are interested in Hayao Miyazaki's early work as a director, it's definitely...
One of the most compelling adventures in the Haruhi saga finally arrives on Blu-ray! Nick Creamer takes a look at this uniquely engrossing film. ― After the madcap adventures and slapstick comedy of Haruhi Suzumiya's first two seasons, the anime series was capped off with a film unlike anything that had come before. Somber, slow-paced, and introspective, The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya represent...
Mike's quest for unlicensed anime leads him to the strange case of "I Give My All", a racy OVA from the 80s that was very nearly released here... until it wasn't! ― As part of the work I do with the Discotek gang, I occasionally work on some cool shows that were once licensed, but never really released on video in the west—you know, the really good anime, like Fighting Foodons. As the years pass, the...
The inimitable screenwriter behind Hanasaku Iroha, anohana, and Anthem of the Heart just released her autobiography. Kim Morrissy shares the recent director's enlightening story. ― Mari Okada recently became a topic of discussion when it was announced that she was directing an original anime film at P.A. Works. For many, this news came as a surprise, because unlike most anime directors, Okada has no ...
These episodic adventures of modern, everyday witches are charming if a little light on lasting impact. Theron Martin delves into Generation Witch. ― Witches as commonly portrayed in anime and manga – flying around on a broomstick sporting a long pointy hat – are decidedly a Western phenomenon, but that hasn't prevented them from popping up in Japanese media on a regular basis over the years. Generat...