News - November 2003
- Mezzo Trailer Online ()
- New Anime in Japan ()
- Munto Licensed? ()
- Howl's Moving Castle Teaser ()
- Cutey Honey Live Action Pictures ()
- Poll: Do you download fansubs? Do you buy the licensed releases? Take 3 ()
- Japanese request Fansub Removal ()
- Astro Boy on YTV ()
- Geneon Websites ()
- ADV Films UK Acquisitions ()
- New Hunter X Hunter OVA ()
- Animation Kuromi 2 with English Subtitles ()
- Errata: Tenchi GXP Running time ()
- Dragonball Z iGuides ()
- New Gigantor Anime ()
- Digital Manga Hiring Artist ()
- Fukuoka Drops "Miyazaki" from Island Plans ()
- Haibane Renmei DVD 2 Pencilboards ()
- Voltron on DVD? ()
- Kiddy Grade Trailer online ()
- New Manga from Hikaru no Go Manga-ka ()
- More Gravitation ()
- Satoshi Kon's Newest Anime Licensed ()
- Dead Leaves Trailer ()
- Adult Swim Announces New Anime ()
- Witch Hunter Robin Contest Update ()
- Anime Network Expands with RCN ()
- Diamond Previews gives details on Tenchi GXP volume 1 ()
- TRSI Hiring Graphic Designer ()
- Buy Nausicaa's Gun ()
- Oscar Update ()
- Saikano Release Details ()
- Hayao Miyazaki Rated Among Top Directors ()
- Zoids: Chaotic Century coming from Viz ()
- Oscar Eligible Anime Announced ()
- New Bandai and ADV Releases ()
- Kids'WB previews Astro Boy ()
- Geneshaft on TechTV ()
- Nintendo Purchase of Bandai Stock Back in the News ()
- Contest Updates ()
- Fruits Basket previewed in Anime Insider #11 ()
- New Kia Asamiya Manga ()
- Miyazaki Island ()
- The Man of Many Faces in May ()
- More New Anime ()
- Japanese Airport named After Samurai ()
- AnimEigo Updates ()
- JSDF Co-Produces Anime ()
- Anime Grapevine resurrected ()
- 4Kids In the Black ()
- DBZ: Budokai Makes Lycos Top 12 Video Game List ()
- Cartoon Network's New Anime Roar ()
- Anime based toys among most popular ()
- Tokyopop announces April / May manga premieres ()
- New Anime in Japan ()
- Witch Hunter Robin coming to Cartoon Network ()
- Tokyopop's Lament of the Lamb confirmed ()
- Yukikaze date ()
- Sakura-Con 2004 to feature Akitaroh Daichi ()
- Anime Submitted for Oscars ()
- Waldenbooks Scores Hana-Kimi Exclusive ()
- Hikaru No Go starts in December ()
- Montreal Anime Expo ()
- Academics of Pokemon to be published ()
- Ninja High School: Timeblast mixes comics and PC RPG game ()
- Gundam Reprints coming from Stone Bridge ()
- Bandai Profits Slightly Down ()
- Anime Characters in Top Earning Fictional Characters ()
- Gundam on GameCube ()
- Japanese Voice Actors Sue Studio ()
- Kiddy Grade release announced (corrected) ()
- Apparent Tokyopop Manga licenses ()
- Samurai Champloo website & Trailer ()
- Speed Racer on Speed TV ()
- GiTS: Innocence Trailer ()
- New Poll: Which anime magazines are you most likely to read regularly? ()
- ADV Announces Release Date for Evangelion Director's Cut ()
- Errata ()
- Takara Buys Broccoli and Atlus ()
- Anime at Hawaiian Pan-Asian Entertainment Convention ()
- (a bit) More Hana Yori Dango ()
- Viz recalls One Piece Vol 2 ()
- Tokyopop Acquires 5 Clamp Manga ()
- Contest Updates ()
- ADV Manga Announces December Releases ()
- eigoMANGA in Diamond Previews ()
- Interstella 5555 on DVD ()
- Live Action Updates ()
- Anime Fringe Web Poll ()
- New Anime ()
- Geneon Licenses ()
When a manga's art is too complex to animate or a series has been on the air for a long time, artistic changes are bound to arise. Here are seven of the most striking shifts in a character's style. ― The transition from manga to anime isn't always a seamless process. Projects hire character designers to reinterpret static artwork into something that can be animated in a manageable way. This can mean...
This isekai adventure takes a turn for the slimy as its protagonist enters a fantasy world in perhaps the worst form possible. Theron Martin has the details. ― Isekai stories are pervasive in the Japanese light novel market these days, and stories where the world-jumping involves reincarnation with mind and memories intact are swiftly becoming more popular. We've already seen some odd twists on that ...
It's an original anime by Vampire Weekend frontman Ezra Koenig and famous actor Jaden Smith, along with a celebrity voice cast. What could possibly go wrong? Mike Toole investigates Netflix's latest original. ― They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account. That was what I thought after hearing Smith's character, Kaz, unwind the first of many bizarre pronouncements, in a bid...
just for fun
Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! ― ANNCast Episode 306 - Nap Squad Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! You can listen to the show on our player here, direct-download the MP3 version here, check out the show on Stitc...
Japan has an ocean of stage musicals based on anime, from Naruto to Sailor Moon - why don't they ever get released in the States? Justin considers the angles. ― Bunny asked: Sailor Moon's new musical cast were guests at a state anime convention, but I don't see it getting much further than that. We only have fansubs as a source, but I'd like to support it legally. I was wondering what would it take ...
The producer behind these anime-style action RPGs shares his inspirations as a developer and his ambitions for the simultaneous worldwide release of Code Vein! ― A long-time employee at Bandai Namco Entertainment, Yosuke Tomizawa is best known as the producer for the God Eater franchise. The God Eater games feature co-op multiplayer monster hunting within a story-focused experience. He is currently w...
So besides T&A, what is this season's Classroom of the Elite really about? Gabriella Ekens explores its takes on Nietzsche, Rousseau, and even other anime! ― What's the best way to organize society? How much power should be vested in the general population versus an elite leadership? And how should people be educated as to their best interests and true capabilities? Political philosophers have been m...
DBZ's saga comes to a close as heroes gather from across the universe to defeat Buu once and for all. Sam Leach dives into the conclusion to Toriyama's original epic. ― It's time for the final installment, not just of The Final Chapters, but of DBZ Kai as a whole. Before the recent movies and Dragon Ball Super, this was the definitive climax of Akira Toriyama's work. Appropriately, the Buu saga is ma...
Now that Re:CREATORS has concluded, did it live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, we break down where the series soared and where it sank. ― Now that Re:CREATORS has come to an end, did the show live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, Nick and Jacob break down where the series soared and where it sank. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the particip...
The screenwriter behind next season's URAHARA offers insights about how anime fandom has changed over the years and how Crunchyroll is perceived within the industry. ― Natsuko Takahashi is a veteran writer in the anime industry, having worked on the screenplay for projects like Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Moyashimon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Although she wasn't officially announced as a gu...
Dustin gets wet and wild with the girls of Senran Kagura on the PS4, along with this week's biggest news and other new game releases! ― You may have heard that homebrew developers—hackers, if you're feeling nasty—found a fully emulated version of NES Golf on board every shipping Nintendo Switch. After seemingly endless mystery surrounding why the ROM was there, they eventually discovered how to activ...
This straight-to-Netflix shonen manga adaptation is finally available to own on home release! Rebecca Silverman finds out if it was worth the wait. ― After an initial run on Netflix, the anime adaptation of The Seven Deadly Sins has arrived on Blu Ray and DVD. This season, which covers roughly the first fifteen volumes of Nakaba Suzuki's original manga, is a combination of interesting references to t...
Sentai Filmworks made a big announcement about phasing out DVDs forever - but why? Justin has a few ideas... ― Jake asked: I was reading a recent article that stated Sentai Filmworks was essentially phasing out their DVD releases by 2019 and are primarily going to release Blu-ray only with a few exceptions. I know you have got this question in the past on who buys DVD's Vs. Blu-rays which seems to b...
One of anime's most prolific screenwriters discusses his legacy of work on Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, and what it takes to succeed as a writer in the industry. ― Dai Sato is one of anime's most prolific and accomplished screenwriters. He was the series composer for Eureka Seven and Ergo Proxy, and also wrote individual episodes for numerous series including Cowb...
Many anime revolve around the lives of otaku and other oddballs, but how many actually get their depictions right? Paul Jensen shares his best recommendations. ― The video game-themed comedy Gamers! has drawn a fair amount of attention this season, and not just for its wicked sense of humor. This show seems to have a strength that many anime series try and fail to obtain; it feels like Gamers really ...
Samus is back in this expansive, extensive remake of Game Boy original Metroid II, but can it capture that old Metroid feeling? Dustin suits up to find out... ― There's a lot of bombast to a title like Samus Returns. Not just a nod to the original Metroid II subhead, this is indeed the return of Samus after an interminable hiatus for the Metroid franchise. It's been thirteen years since the last 2D M...