News Manga Entertainment Podcast Updates including 2013 Q1 Schedule
posted on 2012-11-19 11:17 EST
Manga Entertainment has released the twelfth in its series of podcasts (68 minutes), featuring Jerome Mazandarani with Sarah Anderson of Simon & Schuster and Viz Media UK; Andrew Hewson; and host Jeremy Graves.
The main news of the podcast was a detailed rundown of Manga Entertainment titles in January to March 2013. Among the announcements, both Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion and Oblivion Island are scheduled for March 25.
- Dragonball Z Season 5, episodes 140 to 165.
- Reissue of Shigurui Death Frenzy, deleted for a short while, as a 3-disc DVD set and a 2-disc Blu-ray.
- Bleach Season 10 part 1, episodes 190 to 201.
- Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion (1st season) on Blu-ray and DVD
- The World God Only Knows Season 2
- Journey to Agartha, aka Children who Chase Lost Voices from Deep Below, the fantasy film by Makoto Shinkai. It will be released on DVD and Blu-ray, and also in a Collector's Edition. The latter will be in a cigar-box style and contain the DVD and Blu-ray discs; a 32-page booklet; and a large amount of extras. The Collector's Edition will be limited to 2000 copies in the UK.
- Tiger & Bunny part 1 - a DVD/Blu-ray combo pack (the first of four), in gatefold-style packaging, including "Hero" magazines and trading cards. It will feature the first seven episodes of the series on two DVDs and one Blu-ray. The RRP will be £34.99. Mazandarani said he thought the series would be reissued later in "vanilla" packaging.
- A single package, released both on Blu-ray and DVD, featuring the Eden of the East TV series plus the compilation film (Higashi no Eden Sōshū-hen Air Communication), and the two film sequels (Eden of the East: The King of Eden and Eden of the East - Paradise Lost).
- Baka and Test Season 2 - two DVD discs.
- Manga will release the first seven episodes of a non-anime card-based cartoon, Redakai, currently playing on ITV. Mazandarani commented, "It gives us a chance, like the Yu-Gi--Oh movie we did last year, to get a bit wider distribution and get into some of the supermarkets."
- Bleach the Movie: Hell Verse (the fourth Bleach feature film), released on DVD and as a Collector's Edition DVD/Blu-ray pack.
- Dragonball Z Season 6, episodes 166 to 194.
- Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2 on Blu-ray and DVD.
- Bleach Season 10 part 2, episodes 202 to 212. (Mazandarani commented that the two-part release of Season 10 would include some of Season 11 - "Season 10 is the shortest season and we wanted to stretch it out to 22 episodes.")
- Persona 4 The Animation part 2 in a Blu-ray/DVD combo pack.
- Naruto Shippuden box-set 12, episodes 137 to 148.
- Mardock Scramble The Second Combustion on DVD and Blu-ray
- Oblivion Island (a CGI family fantasy film from Production I.G) on DVD and Blu-ray.
All these titles should be available for pre-order by the end of November.
Mazandarani also mentioned the following:
- The Hyper Japan event from Friday will include a Dragonball Z booth, including the opportunity to watch episodes, playtest the Dragonball Z Kinect game and possibly playtest the One Piece game.
- Re the Dragonball franchise: "We have to get all Dragonball Z out at first. If Toei are happy with the sales results, then we can move on to Dragonball Z Kai or the original Dragonball, we'll have to figure out which one. It probably would be better to do the original Dragonball first."
- The Collectors Edition of Berserk: The Golden Age Arc - The Egg of the King will include a book originally included with the Japanese release, now translated into English.
- On sub-only releases: Blue Exorcist is the bestselling U.K. sub-only release, but it still only sold 2000 copies between the two volumes. Manga has to decide if it will re-release the series with the dub created by Neon Alley. Mazandarani thinks that if Blue Exorcist had been released with a dub, it would have probably sold twice as many copies.
Mazandarani also mentioned Cardcaptor Sakura, which was recently released in a sub-only edition by Madman Entertainment in Australia. Mazandarani said he was "definitely interested in getting (it) for the U.K., as the series previously played on ITV and has a cult appeal.
- On Blu-ray releases, Mazandarani said that the Blu-ray of Puella Magi Madoka Magica had sold 512 copies in its first week, plus a further hundred at MCM Expo. However, it only sold 60 copies in the second week - a drop of 90%. "If there's only 500 of you that want (the series) on Blu-ray, that's not enough. I need a couple of thousand of you to buy the Blu-ray."
Sarah Anderson also made some comments:
- Viz Media UK will publish the manga of Tiger & Bunny from May 2013, and a "gag" manga version later in that year.
- Other upcoming manga releases include the two-volume slipcase edition of Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (provisional U.K. release date December 6);
- the box-set of all 18 volumes of Ouran High School Host Club;
- the beginning of "three-in-one" collected editions of Neon Genesis Evangelion;
- the continuation of "three-in-one" editions of Bleach, Naruto, One Piece and Fullmetal Alchemist;
- a similar edition of Dragonball starting next year;
- and a "two-in-one" edition of Loveless.
- The manga 21st-Century Boys (the two-book sequel to 20th-Century Boys) will be released in 2013.
- Viz Media UK will "hopefully soon be able to announce something very exciting."
- Viz's UK sales are about 10% of the sales of the U.S. market, "but we're growing."
- Of Viz UK's bestsellers, Naruto is the top seller overall, partly because of the number of volumes; Death Note has the highest average sales per volume. Death Note continues to sell about 5000 copies a year. The U.K. sales of the Blue Exorcist manga are described as "amazing" and "Naruto level."
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history