News Live-Action Jigoku Sensei Nube Show's Footage Previewed on TV
posted on 2014-08-19 01:05 EDT
Kanjani 8's Ryūhei Maruyama appeared on NTV's morning program Sukkiri! on Thursday to talk about his role as the title character in the upcoming live-action television series adaptation of Takeshi Okano and Sho Makura's Jigoku Sensei Nube manga. He showed off the make-up job on his character's "oni hand" and introduced drama clips featuring CG monsters. The new series shifts the story's setting from elementary school to high school.
The drama series is slated to premiere in October.
The cast includes:
- Ryūhei Maruyama (Wild 7, Strawberry Night) as Meisuke "Nuubee" Nueno
- Mirei Kiritani (live-action Arakawa Under the Bridge, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney) as Ritsuko Takahashi
- Mokomichi Hayami (Gokusen 2, Zettai Kareshi - Kanzen Muketsu no Koibito Robot) as Kyōsuke Tamamo
- Mizuki Yamamoto (live-action Black Butler) as Izuna Hazuki
- Hideki Takahashi (Pokémon the Movie: White - Victini and Zekrom's Zekrom) as Mugenkai Jikū
Makura and Okano serialized the original manga from 1993 to 1999 in Shueisha's Weekly Shonen Jump magazine. The original manga series centers around Nube, a young male teacher whose left hand is an "oni hand." He resolves cases by using the power of his left hand to purify evil spirits.
Makura and Okano published a one-shot manga titled "Jigoku Sensei Nube: Ōmagatoki" in Grand Jump in April, 15 years after the original manga ended. The duo then launched a sequel manga titled Jigoku Sensei Nube Neo in Grand Jump Premium's June issue on May 28. The first compiled volume of the sequel will ship on October 3.
The original manga inspired a television anime series, a video anime series, and three anime films.