News The Last Unicorn Screening Tour Heads to California
posted on 2015-01-13 18:45 EST
The 1982 Rankin/Bass Productions animated film The Last Unicorn is currently on a worldwide screening tour and heading to theaters in southern California next month. The Last Unicorn film adapts Peter S. Beagle's original novel of the same name. Beagle will be present for signings at all of the screenings.
Upcoming screenings in California will be held at the following theaters:
- Tuesday, January 13, 7:00 p.m. PST: Buena Park Metroplex 18 in Buena Park (signing one hour prior to screening)
- Wednesday, January 14, 7:00 p.m. PST: Laemmle Town Center 5 in Encino (signing one hour prior to screening)
- Thursday, January 15, 7:00 p.m. PST: Laemmle Playhouse 7 in Pasadena (signing one hour prior to screening)
- Friday, January 16, 7:00 p.m. PST: Plaza Cinemas 14 in Oxnard (signing one hour prior to screening)
- Saturday, January 17, 10:30 a.m. PST: Laemmle Royal in West Los Angeles (signing after the screening)
- Sunday, January 18, 1:00 p.m. PST: Sierra Vista 16 in Clovis
The film will continue to open in theaters worldwide until July 2016, including showings in Austria, the Czech Republic, Germany, Switzerland, France, Great Britain, Italy, Ireland, Spain, Mexico, Puerto Rico, South America, Japan, China, Philippines, New Zealand, Australia, and throughout the United States.
North American video distributor Shout! Factory reached an agreement with ITV Studios Global Entertainment (ITVS GE) to to distribute the title on home video and select digital platforms.
The film was animated by the Japanese animation studio Topcraft, which later worked with Hayao Miyazaki on the 1984 film adaptation of his Nausicaä of the Valley of the Wind manga. Members of this team went on to form Studio Ghibli with Miyazaki in 1985.
Lionsgate released a "25th Anniversary Edition" DVD of the film in North America in 2007 followed by a Blu-ray Disc/DVD combo pack in 2011. North American publisher Conlan Press announced in 2011 that the film would receive a theatrical re-release in 2012 and 2013.
Thanks to Jean Paul Archamebeault for the news tip
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history