News Voltron: Legendary Defender Season 3 Slated for 2017
posted on 2017-04-04 00:00 EDT
Showrunner Joaquim Dos Santos confirmed during a WonderCon panel last Saturday that Voltron: Legendary Defender, Netflix and Dreamworks' animated series reimagining of the 1980s Voltron series, will return for a third season later this year. The previous season and the guests on the WonderCon panel teased that the new season will introduce Prince Lotor as the next antagonist.
The second season premiered on Netflix on January 20. Dreamworks describes the second season's premise:
Team Voltron has been scattered throughout the universe in the aftermath of a perilous battle with Zarkon, Haggar and the evil Galra Empire. Working to bring the lions back together to form Voltron again, the Paladins' plan to defeat the Galra once and for all takes them across the universe in search of new worlds and unexpected allies.
The show's first season premiered on Netflix last June, and features the following voice cast:
- Steven Yeun (The Walking Dead) as Keith
- Jeremy Shada (Adventure Time) as Lance
- Bex Taylor-Klaus (Arrow) as Pidge
- Josh Keaton (Green Lantern: The Animated Series) as Shiro (formerly "Sven")
- Tyler Labine (Tucker and Dale vs. Evil) as Hunk
- Kimberly Brooks (Mass Effect) as Princess Allura
- Rhys Darby (Flight of the Conchords) as Coran
- Neil Kaplan (Transformers: Robots in Disguise) as King Zarkon
The character known as Sven in the first Voltron television series was originally named Takashi Shirogane in King of Beasts Golion, the original anime series that was adapted as Voltron.
Studio Mir (The Legend of Korra) animated the first season. Dos Santos, Lauren Montgomery, and Tim Hedrick all worked together on Avatar the Last Airbender and The Legend of Korra.