News One Piece Reveals New Video Game, Other 20th Anniversary Announcements
posted on 2017-07-14 11:00 EDT
The game will feature the talents of One Piece anime producer Hiroki Koyama from Toei Animation, One Piece media supervisor Suguru Sugita from Shueisha, One Piece game supervisor Yuji Suzuki from Shueisha, and One Piece game producer Kōji Nakajima from Bandai Namco Entertainment. Shueisha will reveal more news about the game in Weekly Shonen Jump, V Jump, and on One Piece's official website.
The issue also revealed that Weekly Shonen Jump, the official One Piece website, and a special 20th anniversary website will reveal nine upcoming events for the franchise.
Additionally, the "Hello, One Piece Exhibition" will get overseas appearances. The first overseas exhibit will be in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia in August-October.
Other announcements featured in the issue include:
- A renewal of the One Piece official website and a new 20th anniversary special website.
- The Tokyo One Piece Tower theme park will feature a summer festival called "Tokyo Pirates Festival" starting on July 22.
- The three One Piece smartphone games (Treasure Cruise, Thousand Storm, Grand Collection) will have special 20th anniversary in-game events starting later this month.
- Shueisha will release volumes 1-60 of the manga digitally on a special website for free for a limited time.
- 20th anniversary illustration Figuarts Zero figures of all nine Straw Hat Crew members.
- Luffy and Chopper stamps for the communication app SNOW starting on July 21.
- A "One Piece Ōgiri Challenge" on the LINE app starting on July 21.
- A Twitter campaign where Twitter will create a straw hat emoji for users who use the hashtags #ONEPIECE, #ONEPIECE20th, #ワンピース, or #ワンピース20周年 starting on July 22.
- An "Everyone's Luffy" campaign where Shueisha is taking applications of fanart of Luffy until August 31, and will feature a collection of 100 pieces the fanart (alongside a drawing of Luffy by Oda) on a future cover of Weekly Shonen Jump later this year.
- The second volume of the three-issue One Piece magazine will arrive in Japan on August 4. The first issue shipped earlier this month.
Each chapter of the different manga in the 33rd issue of Weekly Shonen Jump also featured a hidden image of a straw hat, which readers are encouraged to look for in each manga. Similarly, when Weekly Shonen Jump published the final chapter of Osamu Akimoto's Kochikame manga on September 17, many of the other manga in the magazine featured a hidden image of protagonist Kankichi Ryōtsu's trademark eyebrows.
The 33rd issue of Weekly Shonen Jump and previous issues have hinted that "something will happen" on the manga's official 20th anniversary date of July 22.
The 33rd issue features 10 "projects" to celebrate the 20th anniversary, including a cover illustration recalling the issue that published the first chapter of One Piece on July 22, 1997 (original cover from 1997 pictured above right), an opening-page poster, a message from Oda, a 15-page one-shot manga by Toriko's Mitsutoshi Shimabukuro about his memories of Oda, and more.
Update: Added more details on the fanart contest. Source: Comic Natalie
this article has been modified since it was originally posted; see change history