Press Releases - July 2006
- DrMaster Reforges The Blood Sword ()
- The FUNimation Channel Launches on Verizon FiOS TV on August 1 ()
- Seven Seas Announces Kashimashi & 3 Other Japanese Licenses ()
- Eureka Seven Wins 2 SPJA Awards at AX ()
- Anime Evolution Announces Updated List of Guests ()
- Madman Releases Eureka Seven ()
- Wallace & Gromit, Musical Concerts Invade San Francisco ()
- Anime at Gen Con Indy ()
- Mamoru Oshii's Tachiguishi Retsuden at 63. Venice Film Festival ()
- Italian Yaoi Coming to USA ()
- 4Kids TV Celebrates Fifth Season on Fox ()
- ADV Announces September 12 Releases ()
- Broccoli Books Acquires E'S ()
- 4Kids' Most In-Demand Properties Go On Demand with New 4Kids TV VOD Channel ()
- AnimeFest Music Guest of Honor Announced ()
- ImaginAsian TV Secures Houston Carriage Agreement ()
- Atlus USA Announces Battle B-Daman: Fire Spirits! for the Game Boy Advance ()
- Sony BMG Unveils Transformers Movie 20th Anniversarry Edition ()
- Turner Broadcasting's GameTap Gets Animated With the Premiere of Computer Lab ()
- MTAC Prime Guest Announcement ()
- Sneak Peek of All-New Speed Racer Animated Webtoons, Video Game, Soundtrack, Toy Line at Comic-Con ()
- ADV Announces September 5 Releases ()
- uclick brings Manga and Anime Hit Guilstein to Mobile Phones ()
- Konami and Tokyopop Announce Mobile Gaming Partnership ()
- Massive Magazine to Collaborate with Sony Online Entertainment to Distribute Exclusive Gaming DVD ()
- Viz Media Inks Deals with Cartoon Network Latin America for New Animation from Japan ()
- G4 and Toyota Partner to Create First Yaris Comic-Car ()
- Atari Ships Most Intense Dragon Ball Z Fighting Game To Date ()
- Hello Kitty Upgrades Online Community ()
- GDH to Unveil Afro Samurai at Comic-Con ()
- Azumi Arrives in Theatres Nationwide ()
- ADV Announces Final Godannar on August 29th ()
- The Make-A-Wish Foundation of Michigan and Tokyopop Join Hands ()
- eigoManga Heads To Comic-Con ()
- Four Series To Be Re-priced and Re-released In September ()
- UART Partners with Broccoli for North American Distribution and Promotion ()
- JRHorse Side Project Opens Poster Model Program to Everyone ()
- Region Free to hold shikishi auction at Comic-Con ()
- FUNimation Announces The Biggest, Baddest Dragon Ball Z Giveaway on Earth ()
- Two Book Signings with Makoto Tateno in the LA metro area ()
- Yoshitaka Amano at Comic-Con ()
- PLAY! Symphony Performed Live by the National Symphony Orchestra ()
- From The O.C. to the Tokyopop Manga Revolution Comes My Dead Girlfriend ()
- Kawaii Kon 2007 Announces Location and Dates ()
- ADV Announces Final Shadow Skill on August 22nd ()
- ICE Kunion to give away Angel Diary Original Painting at SDCC ()
- JoyRide brings FMA TCG, Halo to San Diego ()
- Ikki Tousen Author to Appear at Comic-Con ()
- AN Entertainment Schedules Har é+Guu DVD 4 ()
- Viz Media Welcoms Renowned Manga Creators to Comic-Con ()
- ADV Announces August 15 Releases ()
- Mikomicon Now Accepting Online Registration ()
- ADV Announces August 8 Releases ()
- UDON smashes into Comic-Con ()
- The First Manga Convention in the United States: MangaNEXT ()
- Beet the Vandel Buster Coming to US ()
- Anime South Announces Guests ()
- Broccoli Books Acquires Galaxy Angel II and Kon Kon Kokon ()
- Negadon: The Monster from Mars Attacks Texas ()
- Girls Bravo - 5” Trading Figure ()
- The WaSabi Code" Puzzle Game comes to Anime Festival Orlando 7 ()
- Right Stuf Announces Ninja Nonsense 2, New Thinpak Collections,and More ()
- Right Stuf Launches Special Anime Expo 2006 Anime Today ()
- Seven Seas Launches 3 New Webmanga ()
- Super Dragon Ball Z Goes Gold ()
- Digital Manga AX License Announcements ()
- Bandai Entertainment Acquires Witchblade Takeru Anime Manga ()
- SITACon Announced ()
- Go! Comi Anime Expo Announcements ()
- More Figures from Organic Hobby ()
- Anime Network Premieres "This Ugly Yet Beautiful World" ()
- Over 41,000 attendees at Anime Expo 2006 ()
- Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences Invites 120 to Membership ()
- Yasahiro Koshi Teams with TenBu Productions for Cove, Pirate Mercenary ()
- New Titles Announced at AnimeCon 2006 ()
- Anime Expo 2006 Smashes Record Attendance ()
- Japan's leading English news site revolutionizes manga ()
- Anime Expo 2006 Surpasses All Previous Attendee Records by 2nd Day ()
- Records Break as Over 30,000 Attendees Take Over the Anaheim Convention Center ()
- Anaheim Convention Center Experiences an Explosion as Anime Expo Begins ()
When a manga's art is too complex to animate or a series has been on the air for a long time, artistic changes are bound to arise. Here are seven of the most striking shifts in a character's style. ― The transition from manga to anime isn't always a seamless process. Projects hire character designers to reinterpret static artwork into something that can be animated in a manageable way. This can mean...
This isekai adventure takes a turn for the slimy as its protagonist enters a fantasy world in perhaps the worst form possible. Theron Martin has the details. ― Isekai stories are pervasive in the Japanese light novel market these days, and stories where the world-jumping involves reincarnation with mind and memories intact are swiftly becoming more popular. We've already seen some odd twists on that ...
It's an original anime by Vampire Weekend frontman Ezra Koenig and famous actor Jaden Smith, along with a celebrity voice cast. What could possibly go wrong? Mike Toole investigates Netflix's latest original. ― They finally did it, folks: they animated Jaden Smith's Twitter account. That was what I thought after hearing Smith's character, Kaz, unwind the first of many bizarre pronouncements, in a bid...
just for fun
Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! ― ANNCast Episode 306 - Nap Squad Zac and Jacob tackle Kenji Kamiyama's Napping Princess, plus the end of summer anime, new movies, and plenty of your questions! You can listen to the show on our player here, direct-download the MP3 version here, check out the show on Stitc...
Japan has an ocean of stage musicals based on anime, from Naruto to Sailor Moon - why don't they ever get released in the States? Justin considers the angles. ― Bunny asked: Sailor Moon's new musical cast were guests at a state anime convention, but I don't see it getting much further than that. We only have fansubs as a source, but I'd like to support it legally. I was wondering what would it take ...
The producer behind these anime-style action RPGs shares his inspirations as a developer and his ambitions for the simultaneous worldwide release of Code Vein! ― A long-time employee at Bandai Namco Entertainment, Yosuke Tomizawa is best known as the producer for the God Eater franchise. The God Eater games feature co-op multiplayer monster hunting within a story-focused experience. He is currently w...
So besides T&A, what is this season's Classroom of the Elite really about? Gabriella Ekens explores its takes on Nietzsche, Rousseau, and even other anime! ― What's the best way to organize society? How much power should be vested in the general population versus an elite leadership? And how should people be educated as to their best interests and true capabilities? Political philosophers have been m...
DBZ's saga comes to a close as heroes gather from across the universe to defeat Buu once and for all. Sam Leach dives into the conclusion to Toriyama's original epic. ― It's time for the final installment, not just of The Final Chapters, but of DBZ Kai as a whole. Before the recent movies and Dragon Ball Super, this was the definitive climax of Akira Toriyama's work. Appropriately, the Buu saga is ma...
Now that Re:CREATORS has concluded, did it live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, we break down where the series soared and where it sank. ― Now that Re:CREATORS has come to an end, did the show live up to the promise of its premise? This week in anime, Nick and Jacob break down where the series soared and where it sank. Disclaimer: The views and opinions expressed by the particip...
The screenwriter behind next season's URAHARA offers insights about how anime fandom has changed over the years and how Crunchyroll is perceived within the industry. ― Natsuko Takahashi is a veteran writer in the anime industry, having worked on the screenplay for projects like Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Cristo, Moyashimon, and Tokyo Magnitude 8.0. Although she wasn't officially announced as a gu...
Dustin gets wet and wild with the girls of Senran Kagura on the PS4, along with this week's biggest news and other new game releases! ― You may have heard that homebrew developers—hackers, if you're feeling nasty—found a fully emulated version of NES Golf on board every shipping Nintendo Switch. After seemingly endless mystery surrounding why the ROM was there, they eventually discovered how to activ...
This straight-to-Netflix shonen manga adaptation is finally available to own on home release! Rebecca Silverman finds out if it was worth the wait. ― After an initial run on Netflix, the anime adaptation of The Seven Deadly Sins has arrived on Blu Ray and DVD. This season, which covers roughly the first fifteen volumes of Nakaba Suzuki's original manga, is a combination of interesting references to t...
Sentai Filmworks made a big announcement about phasing out DVDs forever - but why? Justin has a few ideas... ― Jake asked: I was reading a recent article that stated Sentai Filmworks was essentially phasing out their DVD releases by 2019 and are primarily going to release Blu-ray only with a few exceptions. I know you have got this question in the past on who buys DVD's Vs. Blu-rays which seems to b...
One of anime's most prolific screenwriters discusses his legacy of work on Eureka Seven, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Ghost in the Shell, and what it takes to succeed as a writer in the industry. ― Dai Sato is one of anime's most prolific and accomplished screenwriters. He was the series composer for Eureka Seven and Ergo Proxy, and also wrote individual episodes for numerous series including Cowb...
Many anime revolve around the lives of otaku and other oddballs, but how many actually get their depictions right? Paul Jensen shares his best recommendations. ― The video game-themed comedy Gamers! has drawn a fair amount of attention this season, and not just for its wicked sense of humor. This show seems to have a strength that many anime series try and fail to obtain; it feels like Gamers really ...
Samus is back in this expansive, extensive remake of Game Boy original Metroid II, but can it capture that old Metroid feeling? Dustin suits up to find out... ― There's a lot of bombast to a title like Samus Returns. Not just a nod to the original Metroid II subhead, this is indeed the return of Samus after an interminable hiatus for the Metroid franchise. It's been thirteen years since the last 2D M...