Right Stuf's Anime Today Discusses Manga Cross-Stitch with Writer and Anime Expert Helen McCarthyDec 4th 2009
Anime & Gamers' Holiday Guide, Nabari no Ou, reviews, contests & more in episode 107!
GRIMES, IA, December 4, 2009 – Anime producer and mega-online anime retailer Right Stuf, Inc. is pleased to welcome Helen McCarthy – the author of the recent books The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga and Manga Cross-Stitch – to episode 107 of ANIME TODAY.
In this new interview, McCarthy discusses Manga Cross-Stitch, the elements shared by manga and embroidery, and how fans can draw inspiration from anime and manga into their own creative endeavors. (The rest of this interview, focusing on her other new book, The Art of Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga, can be found in episode 106 of Anime Today.)
A trailblazer in the field of anime writing and journalism, McCarthy's recent published works include 500 Essential Anime Movies, Hayao Miyazaki: Master of Japanese Animation and The Anime Encyclopedia (co-authored with Jonathan Clements). One of the world's foremost experts on Miyazaki and the works of Studio Ghibli, she has also curated several seasons of lectures and screenings at London's Barbican Cinema and is a featured guest and lecturer at conventions and events worldwide, including the recent opening weekend of the Smithsonian Institution's current exhibition, “Osamu Tezuka: God of Manga, Father of Anime.”
Also in episode 107 of ANIME TODAY:
* Chad shares “What's Hot” in the world of anime and manga.
* Shawne tells fans how they can take part in his annual “12+ Days of Anime Savings,” which lasts through 11:59 p.m. on Friday, December 18, 2009.
* Kris and Judy are back with their otaku-friendly anime wish list in a new “Anime and Gamers' Guide.”
* Rich and Nick announce the latest Year of the Otaku winners and a new contest for an Afro Samurai print signed by Samuel L. Jackson, and they announce the winners of the Boys Over Flowers K-drama contest and Rental Magica poster contest. Then they kick off an all-new contest where fans can win the chance to check out recent Nozomi Entertainment shows, including Rental Magica and Gakuen Alice.
* Rich provides a rundown of upcoming conventions, courtesy of AnimeCons.com.
* Marie takes a look at the anime adaptation of the ninja adventure Nabari no Ou.
* Listen to clips from Fafner Original Soundtrack 2: Now Here from Geneon Music. Also hear tracks from JapanFiles.com artists Ato (“ryouyoku” from their self-titled CD) and Asha (“Stepping with the Snowflakes” from the CD idealized).
* And finally, ANIME TODAY highlights some of the newest fan reviews from Right Stuf.com visitors.
Have a question about anime and manga? Want to comment on one of the podcast's segments? Call our Anime Today Hotline at 1-800-338-6827, ext. 7424. You may hear yourself on a future episode of Anime Today!
Visit www.rightstuf.com and www.animetoday.com for this episode, as well as an archive of all ANIME TODAY episodes and extended liner notes. Listeners can also download and subscribe to ANIME TODAY via the Apple iTunes Music Store.
Meet other anime fans, talk with ANIME TODAY listeners, submit your suggestions for future episodes and more at the new ANIME TODAY forums: http://www.rightstuf.com/ubbthreads/.
Follow ANIME TODAY on Twitter at http://www.twitter.com/animetoday.
Find Right Stuf on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/rightstuf.
ABOUT ANIME TODAY
Released every other week, ANIME TODAY is the first commercially-produced podcast aimed at enthusiasts of Japanese animation and comics (“anime” and “manga”). Each episode features fresh content and gives listeners a glimpse into what's new and what's hot in the world of anime and manga. Segments include reviews of titles from all major anime studios, insights into the industry from anime producers, tips on traveling to and around Japan, interaction with listeners, contests, prizes and more.
“If you're into anime and what's happening in the anime market then this is the podcast for you!”
- User review on iTunes
ABOUT RIGHT STUF, INC.
Currently celebrating its 22nd year in business, Right Stuf, Inc. was one of the first players in the U.S. Japanese Animation ("anime") industry, as both an anime producer/distributor and a retailer. Right Stuf works to promote knowledge of its own products, as well as the anime and manga industry, in general, through its online storefront at Right Stuf.com and a variety of media including podcasts and special publications.
Nozomi Entertainment, Right Stuf's production division, is dedicated to the highest quality releases. True to the Japanese word that inspired its name, Nozomi's focus is on “what fans want.” By focusing on a limited number of anime properties each year, the Nozomi production team ensures each release receives the care and attention to detail it deserves.
From anime classics like Astro Boy, Kimba and Gigantor to modern comedies, dramas and favorites such as The Irresponsible Captain Tylor, His and Her Circumstances, Gravitation, Shingu: Secret of the Stellar Wars, Ninja Nonsense, To Heart, The Third: The Girl with the Blue Eye, Emma: A Victorian Romance, Maria Watches Over Us, ARIA, Gakuen Alice and Rental Magica, Right Stuf and Nozomi Entertainment produce quality programming for fans of all ages and interests. For more information, visit www.rightstuf.com and www.nozomient.com.