• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tsukihime Remake's English PS4 Artbook to Ship With Alterations

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 6:23 pm Reply with quote
Juno016 wrote:
09jcg wrote:
Sony censors another eastern game. Ironic isnt it. At least it seems like stellar blade's censorship may be reversed. Perhaps with enough pressure, sony will someday abandon these policies.

Based on my understanding, the Stellar Blade situation was a matter of self-censorship by the studio after an internal discussion about target demographic, despite it being an M game. They said after the reception of the change, they are discussing whether or not to change it back. Sony had nothing to do with that one, and generally, Sony allows nudity as long as the characters are explicitely adults. It is my assumption here that at least one of the artworks altered in the Tsukihime artbook is of Ciel, who is 23, but probably looks young enough to warrant them being extra careful. I don't agree with this, but I suppose I can understand the reasoning.

Iirc the pic is of Ciel, who was 12, but looked 23 when that form "happened".
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 11:30 am Reply with quote
Not really surprised.. I have the JP release so artbook issue is not as big of a deal.

I will say this though.. if this got censored... wait till they get a load of the Far side of the moon routes.. Shocked
juaifan

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 12:02 am Reply with quote
09jcg wrote:
Sony censors another eastern game. Ironic isnt it. At least it seems like stellar blade's censorship may be reversed. Perhaps with enough pressure, sony will someday abandon these policies.

Once Sony became known as the version of a game that always got censored I always stuck with the Switch versions, or PC for an uncensored mod if it was censored across all platforms like Digimon Story Cybersleuth. I was genuinely surprised when Stellar Blade was announced because it seemed like a complete anti-thesis to what Sony stood for. I suppose it was too good to be true in the end. Although to be fair even the censored game is still far more than what I would expect from Sony. Plus the weird Helldivers 2 thing going on (I don't play it so I just hear what I hear) it sounds like Sony really is making an enemy of everyone.

CrypticPurpose wrote:
I thought this wasn't going to affect me, since I didn't think I had pre-ordered the limited edition, but, after checking my Amazon order, and then the rest of the net, it appears that's the only version they are actually selling - is it really a limited edition if it's the only edition? Or are we starting to reach the point where any physical release is automatically limited?

For a visual novel which is a niche genre in the west it makes sense.. Overall, I can see it going that way eventually. Especially since physical isn't really all that great anymore with every game having day 1 patches and updates that are always required at this point. It's interesting in cases like Stellar Blade where apparently the disk version has the uncensored costumes but I also heard the game now requires an update to even load so at this point physical is probably not even worth it anymore with how always-on video games have become.
CrypticPurpose

PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2024 9:16 am Reply with quote
Stellar Blade plays fine off of the on-disc version, it just forces an update first if your console is connected to the internet. Granted, that still sucks, but better than nothing.

I will continue to buy physical versions of every game until the day they stop releasing them, and then I'll probably go back to being a PC gamer, so I can at least still locally back up my games' files. Digital only is a surefire way to see your investment disappear one day, whenever they decide to shut down the console's marketplace - and it's always "when", not "if".
Rob19ny

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2024 4:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
The post explained the changes are due to "differing platform publishing policies."

As expected. Since 2018 when Sony decided to screw over Asian devs. Might as well kill 2 birds with 1 stone regarding what I say in my reply to Juno016.

Wangen wrote:
Still curious whether there will actually be ufotable Tsukihime anime announced soon...

What does your thought about a anime adaptation have to do with the topic of this article which is about censoring a video games artbook?

And before anyone decides to be Neo for the illogical reasons, the rules you see at the top before posting state "#2: Post relevant, thoughtful responses" and "#3 Stay on topic".

If Wangen can logically explain how their post about if an anime will happen is relevant to an artbooks censorship then I will concede. Otherwise, its just an irrelevant post to increase post count. The fact that Key, a mod, replied to Wangen and enabled their post is perplexing.

Juno016 wrote:
Based on my understanding, the Stellar Blade situation was a matter of self-censorship by the studio after an internal discussion about target demographic, despite it being an M game. They said after the reception of the change, they are discussing whether or not to change it back. Sony had nothing to do with that one, and generally, Sony allows nudity as long as the characters are explicitely adults. It is my assumption here that at least one of the artworks altered in the Tsukihime artbook is of Ciel, who is 23, but probably looks young enough to warrant them being extra careful. I don't agree with this, but I suppose I can understand the reasoning.

Your understanding is laughable for even believing that and thinking Sony had nothing to do with it when just a few days after the Stellar Blade statement Aniplex literally said (its in the article) "differing platform publishing policies". What are the policies? For the past 6 years, nudity has been censored in Asian games on PlayStation by Sony. Everyone knew Sony was going to censor Stellar Blade and hoped they actually wouldn't because if they didn't then that meant there's a chance for the Asian censorship to end. The fact that Aniplex stated "differing platform publishing policies" just days after the Stellar Blade censorship is definitive proof Sony censored Stellar Blade. Sony only allows full nudity and sex scenes in Western games. M rated Japanese games were already limited, even with the adult characters, then Sony decided to limit it even further in 2018. Eve is an adult in a M rated Asian game and censorship still happened. Lastly, in regards to internal discussion, I know I'm late responding, but the Stellar Blade censorship statement about internal talks happened on launch on April 26. Helldivers 2 (Western game) situation happened exactly 7 days after. The head of Helldivers stated internal talks were happening then on May 6, Sony made an announcement to reverse the issue. Helldivers 2 issue happened a week after Stellar Blade and got resolved quickly and acknowledged by Sony. Stellar Blade been posting about other things during that time and the issue remains. If that doesn't tell you anything, well...

juaifan wrote:
Once Sony became known as the version of a game that always got censored I always stuck with the Switch versions, or PC for an uncensored mod if it was censored across all platforms like Digimon Story Cybersleuth.

Digimon Story Cyber Sleuth wasn't censored. Hacker's Memory was censored, but not by Sony, due to Western culture regarding religion. CryStar is censored on Nintendo because the original Western PS4 version was censored due to Sony.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2