Anime that's been recommended to one degree or another; as with all slice-of-lives, only watch one ep./day.
|After School Dice Club (TV)
|(Read entry in "Seen/Read All (public list)".)|
High school girls NOT in miniskirts! (also, shot is in AMV)
- Series set up. Homeroom teacher tells everyone to enjoy the next three years while they can. The animation styles contrast in an interesting way. Nice OST as well!
- Again, the contrast in animation styles is quite interesting; also, the contrast in how Futaba & Hikari/Pikari greet the morning is interesting as well. OST continues to stand out ─ but not the OP or the ED.
- There's no denying it: That muppet is cute.
"I'm allergic to the word 'study'." Too funny!
I relate all too well with Futabi Oki.
11:00 mark: OK, I'll admit it ─ the humor is actually effective! :-)
- Oddly enough, this series has me contemplating all of my failures in life. I've always been left behind. Always. I've never been good enough to succeed. Why?! I feel so pathetic. I will simply have to accept the fact that there are many things in life that I cannot do ─ no matter how much assistance I receive.
9:30 mark: Remarkably humorous.
4:20 mark: "I'm the only one left behind." ―Futaba Oki
I can relate to that remark all too well.
Possible con: No explanation has been provided for Futaba Oki being moved to the Izu peninsula. We haven't even met her family! Just sayin'.
- Ruminating on how I've always been behind everyone has me circling downward in a vicious cycle. Not good! :-(
- There's no denying it anymore; I can't go on like this alone. I am alone and the bottomless abyss beckons. Was I merely being delusional all this time? I don't know, and that uncertainty is the only thing that I am certain of. I am at the edge of the abyss of the deep end of the pool, staring down at it. I don't know what to do anymore ─ and that's assuming that I ever did know in the first place.
- "There's a harsh truth to face." I'm never going to accomplish the goals I want to fulfill. A life without hope invariably ends in suicide. I suppose my epitaph would best be: "UNREALIZED POTENTIAL". Everyone that I've started out with has long since disappeared over the horizon, leaving me all alone, all by myself. There never was a reasonable chance of hope for me; entertaining any meaningful hope for myself is merely delusional. I don't know what to do; a life without hope is its own unique hell.
I knew that I'm fragile, but I never realized that I'm this fragile.
- The club deals with various setbacks.
- The Diving Club slacks off with midterms approaching.....
04:53 mark: Never before has a letter being opened up been slowed down as much through time dilation. Pro: Unexpectedly anticlimactic. Very good.
- Futabi is unexpectedly competitive. Very un-Japanese for someone of the feminine persuasion. Very good!
- 1st ½ ends with a twist. Very good
- Huh?! No sign of her family with her making the move???!!!
Futabi passes the pool course ─ something that I cannot do.
- The girls go shopping.
- The girls go the beach.
- Kitten as metaphor for Futabi.
- Both Futaba and Hikari pass the open-water test and get their certifications.
OAV | Futaba's two middle-school friends (Akane Mizunashi & Chizuru Himeno) visit Shizuoka during Summer break and become acquainted with the other members of the Yumegaoka High School Diving Club.
|Amanchu! Advance (TV)
- More of the same ─ which is good thing!
- Hikari ("Pikari") befriends a boy (Kokoro Misaki) on the beach; she also secures prime/VIP seating for the fireworks display.
- Futaba passes the navigation test, but encounters more difficulties.
- Futaba performs her first open-water dive. She also meets members of Hikari's family.
- Futaba & Hikari share the same Halloween dream.
- School cultural festival preparations also result in a school legend.....
- Peter (Pan) & Neverland. (Pt.1)
- Peter (Pan) & Neverland. (Pt.2)
- New Year's Day (sunrise) celebration and reflections about the past year (and other years).
- Kokoro is revealed to be a boy. (Who may ─ or might not ─ have a romantic crush on HIkari/"Pikari".)
- Night Diving Certification
|Asteroid in Love (TV)
|(slice-of-life; episodic -- 12 ep.s)|
|Bunny Drop (TV)
|Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu (TV)
|(OK, so it's not slice-of-life, but I can stand the humor in daily increments.
- Physical gags.
- More of the same.
- More of the same and Chidori thinks that Sousuke is indifferent to her.
|Konohana Kitan (TV)
|Lucky Star (TV)
|(24 ep.s + OVA)|
|Magic of Stella (TV)
|(Comedy, too. Read review.
- The episode starts with the main character unfocused; it ends with her being focused and happy! 9/11
- Tamaki and Yumine retain their relationship. 9/11
- Tamaki enjoys everyone arguing good-naturedly at her home. She's happy and inspired. 10/11
|Miru Tights (ONA)
|Mitsuboshi Colors (TV)
- Yeah, needs to be watched in daily doses. 7/11
- Couldn't last five minutes with this episode..... 1/11
- I found myself continuously fast-forwarding throughout the episode..... 5/11
|Rilakkuma and Kaoru (stop-motion ONA)
||Masterpiece (dub & sub)
Recommended by Andy Pfeiffer & Steve Jones
- Apparently, there are 13 episodes/13 minutes each. Kaoru is the classic Office Lady ─ taken for granted both at work and at home.
- This series is the epitome of cuteness! (kawaii?)
- A rainy day with poisonous mushrooms.
- Kaoru despairs about finding any meaning in her life.
- Kaoru gets the worst of a typhoon; a teen-aged ghost appears during a power outage.
- Kaoru becomes despondent about being seemingly unlucky.....
Hot Guys & Gals!!!
(Kaoru is infatuated with the delivery guy.....)
The apartment complex is to be demolished?!
- The others do their best to contribute to the budget.
- Did Rilakkuma hallucinate all of that?
- A mix of despair and surreal humor!
- What was Korilakkuma hallucinating and what was real? The mind of a child and the mind of an office lady.
- How Kaoru bonded with Kiiroitori, Rilakkuma and Rilakkuma. Bookended with a wedding of Kaoru's college friend.
- And the circle has completed, with one year having fully passed.
Who can tell what the future will bring?
|Showa Monogatari (TV)